The Student Room Group

Renting a place my boyfriend has bad credit.

Hi all.

Myself and my boyfriend are looking to rent a flat however he has very bad credit but i have great credit.

We have enough to pay the rent for a year already.

This will our first place we are renting so does anybody have any advice/tips?

He told me i'd have to put it in my name as i have good credit is this correct?
Many landlords won't do a credit check if you can provide a reference from a previous landlord. If they are concerned about letting to you you can also get around this by paying rent in advance (e.g. 6 months at a time). I wouldn't rent the place in your name only, especially if your boyfriend isn't good with money, you don't wanna be left with a bill to pay if everything goes wrong and he doesn't want to end up homeless!
Would it be better to put it in both of our names then?

What would happen if he left and i signed for it on my own?
You really need to see a copy of your bfs credit rating, so you appreciate just what his financial situation is.

If you rent the property just in your name, then you become liable for all the rent. In any event you would probably be joint and severallt liable for all the rent if both on the tenancy.

You need to understand the consequences for all bills and rent so your bf pays his chare and doesnt leave you in a mess if he runs off. These things happen. If he left then you would be liable for all the rent etc. You could ofc make him liable for things like utilities as they are less likely to do a credit check.

It may be you have to rent just in your name or as said above paying a large deposit, such as 6 months in advance does wonders.
Reply 4
I have a great credit score

PM me xxx
I've put the place in my name only, and we are sharing the bills i have enough to pay for a years rent so it's not to bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending