The Student Room Group

Phobia of temporary traffic lights?

I know it sounds weird but my GF has a phobia of temp traffic lights. She refuses to drive to lidls to get my beers etc because she fears being stuck at the lights if they get stuck on red and there is no other alternative route from her estate. I'm not insured to drive her car either so its Sod's law.

The statistics say that temp traffic lights have a much higher failure rate than lifts do so I see where she's coming from. I guess some people fear lifts incase they get trapped if they break down so its the same with lights if they're stuck on red she's trapped as going through a red is a criminal offence and she probably loose her licence.

Should she be driving at all? I said she should get a bike then she can just push the bike around the lights. But its 3 miles to lidls. Unfortunately the lights are there until November :frown:
If she's that irrational towards temporary lights then frankly she shouldn't be driving.

Get your shopping from Tesco Delivery / Ocado etc.
Original post by loooopppyyy
Thats like saying anyone with arachnophobia shouldn't live in a house on their own, or anyone scared of flying shouldn't go on holiday. :tongue:

No, I don't care what people do or don't do in private, but when their actions could affect me as a fellow road user then I have a right to say they shouldn't be there. If I was in the car behind her when she got to the lights - would she freeze? Go through the lights? Try a u-turn? I couldn't assume she'd drive logically and correctly. That's why I wouldn't want her on the road.
She is unfit to drive and frankly unfit for the modern world. While I might venture to suggest you go and get your own beers, in general it's not the job of her boyfriend to go pandering to her silly hang-ups, it's her job to put her big girl pants on and get things done that need to be done.

In any case, temporary traffic lights are advisory only, it is not a criminal offence to drive through them. That's why they all have big cameras on the top, to dissuade people. Even if it were an offence you would hardly be prosecuted if they were stuck on red, and a queue of other drivers would be your witnesses. Finally, there is always a number displayed that you can call if the lights are stuck. The person on the other end of the phone will authorise you to drive through the lights and send a team to investigate the problem.
Reply 4
If a temporary, or permanent, traffic light malfunctions whilst you are awaiting a change to go, you simply drive through them when you see that there is a sufficient break in oncoming traffic to proceed safely.

Does your gf have any other irrational anxieties?
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
In any case, temporary traffic lights are advisory only, it is not a criminal offence to drive through them..

That's incorrect; it is an offence to drive through temporary traffic lights just the same as fixed provided they are compliant with relevant legislation, which to be fair, they all should be.
Original post by CCC75
If a temporary, or permanent, traffic light malfunctions whilst you are awaiting a change to go, you simply drive through them when you see that there is a sufficient break in oncoming traffic to proceed safely.

Does your gf have any other irrational anxieties?

She doesn't like walking through the gangway connecting carriages on trains or going over very high footbridges.
Original post by Duncan2012
If she's that irrational towards temporary lights then frankly she shouldn't be driving.

Get your shopping from Tesco Delivery / Ocado etc.

I tell her she should sell her car then we would have more money. I could get a motorbike to get about and there would be more money for beers and going out. But she never listens to me :frown: but maybe I could persuade her to sell her car saying she it might be against the law to drive with a fear of traffic lights and road works. If she'll listen that is......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending