The Student Room Group

Advice with driving

I passed my test now just over a month ago. I’d say I’m a fairly confident and safe driver. Nothing major has happened to when learning or the last month. However one thing that did happen is I went though a red light, and ever since I panic and overthink traffic lights like no tommorow. Every time I see a green light I go into panic, which is crazy, most people love a green light. I’m so worried now that I’ll do it again. I overthink approaching a green light, coming of the gas, being prepared to stop. And the thought of the light turning amber as in close to it terrifies me, even though I know it’s not ‘illegal’ to go through an amber. Is there any advice, or has anyone experienced the same thing?
Reply 1
Original post by Jackson5321
I passed my test now just over a month ago. I’d say I’m a fairly confident and safe driver. Nothing major has happened to when learning or the last month. However one thing that did happen is I went though a red light, and ever since I panic and overthink traffic lights like no tommorow. Every time I see a green light I go into panic, which is crazy, most people love a green light. I’m so worried now that I’ll do it again. I overthink approaching a green light, coming of the gas, being prepared to stop. And the thought of the light turning amber as in close to it terrifies me, even though I know it’s not ‘illegal’ to go through an amber. Is there any advice, or has anyone experienced the same thing?

I’ll say aswell, thankfully, I wassnt caught going through the red.
Reply 2
I’ll say aswell, thankfully, I wassnt caught going through the red.

give it time, keep driving and naturally you will return back to normal.
Reply 3

You've only been driving for a month, don't worry, in time the fears will pass and you'll remember your fears with a smile)
Reply 4
Even experienced drivers make occasional mistakes so I wouldn’t worry. You’re right a green light does require more thought to predict what might happen next and when you would stop. This too comes with a bit of experience and it can of course be the right decision to keep going, also with the reassurance that traffic light phasing allows for this
The more practice u get out in the car even just sitting in it and having a look at the buttons,what does what is important
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending