The Student Room Group

My parents are pressuring me to apply to Oxbridge but I don't think I can do it.

I'm doing 4 full A level subjects in total - Maths, Further Maths, Psychology & Economics.

I did the full Maths A level last year as well as AS Psychology and AS Economics, and I got As in all of them. Doing the full Further Maths A Level this year, with A2s in Psychology and Economics.

I want to do a degree in Economics. And my parents really really really want me to apply to Cambridge for it. But I know my capabilities. I only got an A in Maths A Level. I have seniors who got 4A*s (one of them even taught herself a subject), and even they didn't get into Cambridge. I feel like if I apply, that's just another space on my UCAS application wasted and that I'm reaching a bit too far. Applications for Oxbridge close very early as well and I haven't even completed my personal statement. I've tried talking to my parents about not applying to Oxbridge but they got really upset with me afterwards, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?
you might as well give it a go, you meet the requirements
Original post by amelienine
I'm doing 4 full A level subjects in total - Maths, Further Maths, Psychology & Economics.

I did the full Maths A level last year as well as AS Psychology and AS Economics, and I got As in all of them. Doing the full Further Maths A Level this year, with A2s in Psychology and Economics.

I want to do a degree in Economics. And my parents really really really want me to apply to Cambridge for it. But I know my capabilities. I only got an A in Maths A Level. I have seniors who got 4A*s (one of them even taught herself a subject), and even they didn't get into Cambridge. I feel like if I apply, that's just another space on my UCAS application wasted and that I'm reaching a bit too far. Applications for Oxbridge close very early as well and I haven't even completed my personal statement. I've tried talking to my parents about not applying to Oxbridge but they got really upset with me afterwards, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

The question I think you should be asking yourself is whether you actually want to go to Cambridge. If you find the course interesting and you like the idea of going there then it could well be worth applying. It doesn't all come down to grades, the entry exam and interview are both important - you do not need 4A*s to get into Cambridge. The grades you've achieved already are excellent and I assume you're going to be predicted As and A*s for A2 which means that in all likelihood, you're going to get most if not all of your other 4 choices. So I do not think that putting Cambridge down as one choice is a particularly big risk because you're in a very good position and you don't have much to lose. Even if your Cambridge application is unsuccessful, you will still have gained something from the admissions process.

On the other hand, if you really don't have a lot of interest in going to Cambridge, then you probably shouldn't apply. There is absolutely no point in you going to a university that you're going to be miserable at. Your parents obviously want the best for you, but the best for you isn't three years of misery.
Reply 3
You have excellent grades so if yo were to apply elsewhere I'm sure you would get offers so long as the PS is good.

With Cambridge your chance of getting an offer will likely depend on how high your UMS in each units were. If they were above 90 or perhaps 85 you stand a good chance.

Oxford on the other hand put a lot of emphasis on A* GCSE grades, so depending on how many you have, Oxford might be a better option?

Of course it's entirely up to you. You sound like you have a strong application so I expect you will get plenty of offers whether or not you apply to Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending