The Student Room Group

Cambridge / LSE

Hiya,

I want to study Economics at a top university, e.g. Cambridge or LSE. Do I need to do any extracurricular activities e.g. dance to put myself at an advantageous position or are the grades enough? I have heard the both of those universities prefer all-rounded students so I was just wondering about this...

thanks
Original post by Rose24
Hiya,

I want to study Economics at a top university, e.g. Cambridge or LSE. Do I need to do any extracurricular activities e.g. dance to put myself at an advantageous position or are the grades enough? I have heard the both of those universities prefer all-rounded students so I was just wondering about this...

thanks

Hi, this is just my opinion.

first and foremost, your grades need to be top. Top universities like Cambridge, LSE, Oxford, UCL care mostly about your academic strength.

Once you are confident that you have strong grades i.e. you meet the entry requirements or you are very close to meeting the requirements, then I agree that you should improve your personal profile with extra-curricular activities.

Many top universities are academic and social communities. I don't think there is any top university (except maybe Imperial College :wink:) that isn't interested in other aspects of the student's profile such as certain extracurricular activities that may show non-academic talent.

Good luck
Absolutely not, universities are not looking for 'well-rounded' students.

They only care about academics. Extra-curriculars aren't even worth mentioning.
Reply 3
Original post by Rose24
Hiya,

thanks

LSE and Cambridge will not be interested in your dancing skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think extra curriculars related directly to economics will boost your chances, but if not then no.
Reply 5
Original post by Rose24
Hiya,

thanks

Economics-related extracurricular: Helpful
Other extracurriculars: Useless

And no, unis prefer academically strong students than all-rounded students.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending