The Student Room Group

Grades of 4th A level FM for Economics with 3 A* in other A levels

I am aiming to apply for Economics at Cambridge with 3 A* and B as predicted grades in Further Maths. The fact that cambridge gives good weightage to Mathematics, what are my pragmatic chances for getting a serious consideration for an interview/offer. What I mean is, do I have fair shot if I have say 6+/6.5+ in TMUA? My GCSEs were primarily 9s with three 8s and 6 in Drama.
Is the B in Further Maths? If so that will severely hamper your application as Cambridge Economics is very Maths-heavy
Reply 2
yes B is in Further Maths
Any way to get it up to at least an A? I think you'd struggle with a B, personally.
Reply 4
Original post by Avykr
I am aiming to apply for Economics at Cambridge with 3 A* and B as predicted grades in Further Maths. The fact that cambridge gives good weightage to Mathematics, what are my pragmatic chances for getting a serious consideration for an interview/offer. What I mean is, do I have fair shot if I have say 6+/6.5+ in TMUA? My GCSEs were primarily 9s with three 8s and 6 in Drama.

I suggest you drop further maths and apply with 3 A*s. You don’t need further maths for economics
Original post by Aanu3001

I suggest you drop further maths and apply with 3 A*s. You don’t need further maths for economics

You do for the top unis (ie. LSE, Cambridge, potentially UCL). Without FM, chances of an offer from Cambridge or LSE are pretty much close to zero.
Original post by jobajojoba
You do for the top unis (ie. LSE, Cambridge, potentially UCL). Without FM, chances of an offer from Cambridge or LSE are pretty much close to zero.

You're absolutely right. 🙂
Reply 7

Same with Warwick...at least my school's perspective.
Original post by vnayak

Same with Warwick...at least my school's perspective.

Likely true but probably not to the extent of LSE, Cambridge obviously.

Warwick most likely prefer applicants with FM and applicants who take FM are probably at a higher chance of getting an offer than those without - but it’s not like LSE/Cambridge where it’s pretty much impossible for someone to get an offer for Econ w/o further maths.

It’s still very possible imo to get an offer for Warwick Econ without FM; Also considering the fact that their offer rate is very high at over 50%.
I would also add that LSE and Cam Econ is very maths heavy, son got A* for FM (2022 so sat exam), is second year Econ at Cambridge, and still finds the micro etc really tough. It’s not just a question of needing FM, you’ve gotta love it too to thrive on these courses.
Reply 10
Likely true but probably not to the extent of LSE, Cambridge obviously.

Warwick most likely prefer applicants with FM and applicants who take FM are probably at a higher chance of getting an offer than those without - but it’s not like LSE/Cambridge where it’s pretty much impossible for someone to get an offer for Econ w/o further maths.

It’s still very possible imo to get an offer for Warwick Econ without FM; Also considering the fact that their offer rate is very high at over 50%.

That's very true. Not to the same extent but they like it A LOT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending