The Student Room Group

I want to study Economics at University, but...

Hello I want to study Economics at University, but I wasn't able to pick it at an AS level. I currently Study; Maths, Sociology, and Psychology. I'm on the waiting list for Economics, currently 7th, I was 8th but someone left today. The economics teacher said to be hopeful and that usually many students drop out/ go to other sixth forms. First week has finished and the head of Humanities seemed very doubtful and that chances of me getting in are slim. The majority of Universities, the ones I looked at, said that Economics isn't required at A-level but an A/A* is highly preferred in Mathematics. I was advised to study subjects similar to economics or what UNIs would like, such as; Government and politics, History and Philosophy. History and Gov&Pol are full and Psychology clashes with Philosophy. So my options are

1) Carry on with my 3 AS Levels: Maths, Sociology, and Psychology

2) Keep the 3AS: Maths, Sociology and Psychology and when I start A2 I should pick up AS Economics, Don't know if it's worth it though

3) Drop Psychology for Philosophy

4) Pick up Either AS English Language/Literature as a fourth subject

The economics teacher also gave me a folder with some Economics work, some induction crap too.

Any advice would be appreciated Many thanks
Shame you couldn't pick it. But as you say, it isn't often a requirement to apply for Econ at degree leel.

In terms of your options you listed, I would recommend that;

Switching Psychology for Philosophy isn't particularly necessary. Only do this if you are much more interested in Philosophy (or perhaps are considering a Phil related Econ course (i.e. PPE)).

Picking up AS Econ next year would be a good shout, and allows you to create a base knowledge in the subject as well as illustrating your interest.

Picking up another AS (either this year or next) is highly recommended. Most people will finish with 3 A-Levels and 1 AS. English Lang/ Lit AS this year could be a great addition to your academic profile, illustrating your ability to write essays/ analyse text - v useful for an Econ degree. However, if you don't enjoy English, don't do this just for the sake of getting into an Econ course.

Alternatively, picking up AS Further Maths is a good option if possible, a lot of universities place heavy emphasis on FM when applying for Econ courses, so all the experience you have the better.

If you are indifferent between your current choices and your options, I'd probably recommend switching Socio for English this year, and pick up Econ AS next year (+FM AS if possible). It does depend what your interests are though. Quote me with your thoughts/ preferences on these suggestions and I can come back with a more informed opinion for you. Best of luck mate.
Reply 2
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Shame you couldn't pick it. But as you say, it isn't often a requirement to apply for Econ at degree leel.

In terms of your options you listed, I would recommend that;

Switching Psychology for Philosophy isn't particularly necessary. Only do this if you are much more interested in Philosophy (or perhaps are considering a Phil related Econ course (i.e. PPE)).

Picking up AS Econ next year would be a good shout, and allows you to create a base knowledge in the subject as well as illustrating your interest.

Picking up another AS (either this year or next) is highly recommended. Most people will finish with 3 A-Levels and 1 AS. English Lang/ Lit AS this year could be a great addition to your academic profile, illustrating your ability to write essays/ analyse text - v useful for an Econ degree. However, if you don't enjoy English, don't do this just for the sake of getting into an Econ course.

Alternatively, picking up AS Further Maths is a good option if possible, a lot of universities place heavy emphasis on FM when applying for Econ courses, so all the experience you have the better.

If you are indifferent between your current choices and your options, I'd probably recommend switching Socio for English this year, and pick up Econ AS next year (+FM AS if possible). It does depend what your interests are though. Quote me with your thoughts/ preferences on these suggestions and I can come back with a more informed opinion for you. Best of luck mate.

hmmm Okay, some good choices here. Picking up FM is pretty sound. I've looked at Philosophy and it's interesting, as is Psychology but I feel that Philosophy will have more relevance to Economics. I will definitely pick up Economics as an AS even If I do not drop a subject next year. Now I wouldn't
mind dropping Socio for English, but why? The Economics teacher did say English is good and that Sociology has good relevance too. I feel that my writing ability under timed conditions, for Controlled assessments will hurt me, but it's worth trying.

Perhaps, I could study these subjects; Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and English Language. Once, you've replied with your thoughts, I'll try to contact the head of maths and Humanities to arrange this on Monday.
Original post by zukkalik
hmmm Okay, some good choices here. Picking up FM is pretty sound. I've looked at Philosophy and it's interesting, as is Psychology but I feel that Philosophy will have more relevance to Economics. I will definitely pick up Economics as an AS even If I do not drop a subject next year. Now I wouldn't
mind dropping Socio for English, but why? The Economics teacher did say English is good and that Sociology has good relevance too. I feel that my writing ability under timed conditions, for Controlled assessments will hurt me, but it's worth trying.

Perhaps, I could study these subjects; Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and English Language. Once, you've replied with your thoughts, I'll try to contact the head of maths and Humanities to arrange this on Monday.

Further math is only preferred by some universities like Oxbridge and LSE. The rest, as far as I know don't. I've asked universities like Warwick/Bath/Nottingham etc... well respected universities for Economics, and they have said that Further Math AS will not increase the chances of getting into the course. If anything its seen as a fourth subject. As for your current subject choices, they seem pretty fine, although you will have to explain your situation in a reference why you couldnt pick up AS Economics. All the subjects you are doing now come under the preferred subject list anyway, although do what you'll find easier and enjoy.

Poster above me is right re: not all unis require FM. Depends where you think you may apply...

Re: your point that Phil is more relevant than Psy. Don't think that is necessarily true. For your personal statement/ interviews you will need to show how your current subjects have inspired your interest in Econ (hence why you are applying), and therefore both subjects are perfectly possible to link in. Psychology you can talk about behavioural economics/ rationality, Philosophy you can discuss some of the traditional theoretical models of Economics and how they should work in a perfect world. Also philosophy allows you to look at models and consider their fairness/ equity sharing, and you could relate this to different schools of Phil thought and how to choose what is the best solution to econ problems.... If you follow what I am saying. Both allow you to expand so both are acceptable. Do whatever one you think you will enjoy more I reckon.

Again, the English vs Socio decision is similar. Neither are particularly similar to Econ but Sociology likely allows you to link in your interests to Econ a lot more (English knowledge is book specific/ writing/ analytical skills). The reason I suggested English is because it's traditionally more respected and due to the workload/ exams structure is likely to set you up with critical and analytical reasoning abilities a lot more than Socio, perfect for Econ courses where you must absorb a lot of info from different sources and create arguments. You can expand on this in your PS and say how it prepared you well. But yes, equally, elements from your Socio course can be linked into Econ easily too. Again, do what you'll enjoy most for the 2 years/ get the grades to allow you to apply to the unis you want to.

But yeah, all that aside, good shout on picking up AS Econ at some point, definitely recommended. Best of luck dude and hit me up if you got any more questions. Just my 2 cents so get some more opinions from teachers at school.
How would you pick up AS economics if AS levels have been scrapped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanaan999
How would you pick up AS economics if AS levels have been scrapped?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They aren't scrapped. They still exist, it's just that schools can opt out of doing them and they don't contribute to the overall A2 grade anymore.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Does your school offer the AQA Philosophy course? If so, this is a very challenging, interesting and well respected course, which (given the ridiculous number of Psychology sudents) is, I imagine, a much more eye-catching choice for admission tutors. If it's 'Philosophy and Ethics', meh, still good, but probably on a par with Psychology.

Further Maths would perhaps be helpful, though I'd only take it if you're really into it, since Maths will suffice (and a better grade in maths will look better than a worse one in FM).

Your weakest subject is Sociology. If you're going to swap any of them, try and make it this one.
Reply 7
Original post by SunnysideSea
They aren't scrapped. They still exist, it's just that schools can opt out of doing them and they don't contribute to the overall A2 grade anymore.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Does your school offer the AQA Philosophy course? If so, this is a very challenging, interesting and well respected course, which (given the ridiculous number of Psychology sudents) is, I imagine, a much more eye-catching choice for admission tutors. If it's 'Philosophy and Ethics', meh, still good, but probably on a par with Psychology.

Further Maths would perhaps be helpful, though I'd only take it if you're really into it, since Maths will suffice (and a better grade in maths will look better than a worse one in FM).

Your weakest subject is Sociology. If you're going to swap any of them, try and make it this one.

Original post by PrinceUpsb
Poster above me is right re: not all unis require FM. Depends where you think you may apply...

Re: your point that Phil is more relevant than Psy. Don't think that is necessarily true. For your personal statement/ interviews you will need to show how your current subjects have inspired your interest in Econ (hence why you are applying), and therefore both subjects are perfectly possible to link in. Psychology you can talk about behavioural economics/ rationality, Philosophy you can discuss some of the traditional theoretical models of Economics and how they should work in a perfect world. Also philosophy allows you to look at models and consider their fairness/ equity sharing, and you could relate this to different schools of Phil thought and how to choose what is the best solution to econ problems.... If you follow what I am saying. Both allow you to expand so both are acceptable. Do whatever one you think you will enjoy more I reckon.

Again, the English vs Socio decision is similar. Neither are particularly similar to Econ but Sociology likely allows you to link in your interests to Econ a lot more (English knowledge is book specific/ writing/ analytical skills). The reason I suggested English is because it's traditionally more respected and due to the workload/ exams structure is likely to set you up with critical and analytical reasoning abilities a lot more than Socio, perfect for Econ courses where you must absorb a lot of info from different sources and create arguments. You can expand on this in your PS and say how it prepared you well. But yes, equally, elements from your Socio course can be linked into Econ easily too. Again, do what you'll enjoy most for the 2 years/ get the grades to allow you to apply to the unis you want to.

But yeah, all that aside, good shout on picking up AS Econ at some point, definitely recommended. Best of luck dude and hit me up if you got any more questions. Just my 2 cents so get some more opinions from teachers at school.

Alright, after a week of making this post, I got moved into the economics class (Yay!) So far, it's been kinda crap, the teacher neglects me and the class always F*cks around. I couldn't pick Further Maths because I didn't pick it during enrolment. Therefore, no showing any passion towards maths, yeah I'm confused. I switched Sociology for Gov&Politics but I'm still unhappy with my options
I'm studying; Maths, Government& Politics, Economics, and Psychology.

However, psychology is kinda boring and I'm not enjoying it as much as I anticipated, the first couple of weeks were fun though. The subject transfer deadline was on the 23rd of September and i'm just finding Psychology irrelevant to what I want to study at university. I wanted to study swap it for History but I'm not sure on what to do. I feel like speaking to the head of humanities who has amicably been helpful but will reluctantly say no. He let me get Gov&Pol a few days after the deadline, although I had to speak with the teacher in which he gave me an essay to prepare for, he said I gave relevant points to the question so he allowed me to join the class with the independent task or catching up.

So now that it has been a whole month after the deadline, I'm not sure on what to do. Do I speak to the teacher and say that I am really passionate about what I want to study, and that i like History and will try my hardest to work independently at home ? Please give some insight. Also, I can try and email the teacher and see what they have to say, hopefully they'll be able to reply during half term
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest