The Student Room Group

Tough working world out there..

It's a tough world out there. I keep applying for jobs and every time companies interview me, they always know how to nail me because they ask questions I hadn't prepared for, plus, I've involuntarily developed a type of dyspraxia (stumbling over my words unconsciously) because I haven't talked to people in ages and I suffer from social anxiety. This makes me come out like a stupid, clueless guy, while I'm not!

I prepare and prepare every time and they keep coming up with impossible questions like:
-Why would we choose you?
-What have you learned from your previous work experience?
-What type of job are you looking for? What specifically?
-When was the last time you applied for a job and why?
-How did the other companies' interviews go?

I thought if I would just get a Bachelor's degree, everything would be awesome and easy but no, it looks like the working world is a tough and extremely demanding one.
The point is: I thought it would be easy, but I find it very hard to find a job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Employers look for experience as well. A lot of people applying to the same job as you would have a degree, but they may have worked for 1-2 years and gained more experience in the field. That's what could separate you from losing the job out to them.

Why would we choose you/Why should we hire you/Why are you the right candidate for the job... It's a fairly common question and you just need to sell yourself. What skills and experience do you possess that would you make the right person for the job? What is it about you (skill/experience) that makes you better than the other candidates?

You see, some of these questions such as "What have you learned from your previous work experience?" and "When was the last time you applied for a job and why?" imply that you should be giving examples from experience in working in industry. If you haven't worked before, then you can't give examples.

I suggest doing something entry level or part time so you can gain at least a few months experience before moving onto a better role.

With regards to interview practice, you should check out The Interview Guys. They're useful for gaining tips on how to master your interview.
http://theinterviewguys.com/
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
Employers look for experience as well. A lot of people applying to the same job as you would have a degree, but they may have worked for 1-2 years and gained more experience in the field. That's what could separate you from losing the job out to them.

Why would we choose you/Why should we hire you/Why are you the right candidate for the job... It's a fairly common question and you just need to sell yourself. What skills and experience do you possess that would you make the right person for the job? What is it about you (skill/experience) that makes you better than the other candidates?

You see, some of these questions such as "What have you learned from your previous work experience?" and "When was the last time you applied for a job and why?" imply that you should be giving examples from experience in working in industry. If you haven't worked before, then you can't give examples.

I suggest doing something entry level or part time so you can gain at least a few months experience before moving onto a better role.

With regards to interview practice, you should check out The Interview Guys. They're useful for gaining tips on how to master your interview.
http://theinterviewguys.com/

Well, I have 5 years working experience from various jobs, from shopping malls to assistant administration and even my 4-month internship at an IT corporation. The thing that they always nail me at is my dyspraxia and my lack of being vocally flexible. They want smooth business men, not insecure social anxiety people like me.

I have worked before but I completely freeze when they ask me those questions, again due to my dyspraxia. It's like trying to say something but freezing or stuttering. It's been my problem my entire life, even in high school. I would have nice grades and knowledge in a course and then people would ask me things and I would stutter and freeze, like I didn't know what I was talking about. My appearance to people sucks. I have a vast amount of knowledge and experience but I can't present myself, even when I learned how to do that professionally in college. I'm telling you, not interacting with people for years makes you a caveman.

I've been trying to apply for entry level jobs - this was one, but it's still hard to find a job out there. That's the plan, but my plan isn't working out - nobody wants me.

I'll check out the interview guys.
Thanks for your helpful tips.
Original post by 571122

I prepare and prepare every time and they keep coming up with impossible questions like:
-Why would we choose you?
-What have you learned from your previous work experience?
-What type of job are you looking for? What specifically?

Impossible?

These are some of the most common and basic interview question you can expect.
Not the best advice but worked for a friend of mine, answer and memorise common interview questions.
That way they will roll of your tongue but try not to make it sound too scripted.
have you considered being self-employed ? that would overcome many of the obstacles to an enjoyable professional life for you.

Quick Reply

Latest