The Student Room Group

Job before Master's

A lot of people tend to do internships after university and before their postgraduate degrees. I'm about to graduate this year and have applied for a graduate job, which has a graduate training for 2 years. Can I do the graduate training for the 2 years, then go to a university for a Master's, then return to the job for a permanent position? I just think I will have a better chance with the Masters with some experience in the outside world.
Reply 1
What is the job, who is the employer and what is the masters degree?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
What is the job, who is the employer and what is the masters degree?

Job - Graduate Engineer
Employer - UKPS (Last Mile)
Master's degree - Msc Mechanical Engineering
Reply 3
if you get a permanent job out of the 2 year graduate scheme then the masters might just be redundant - and taking a year out to do it risks losing the permanent position they may have offered. they'll -say- they will keep it open for you and they might mean it but situations can change
Reply 4
I’m

Original post by NeverGivingUp
Job - Graduate Engineer
Employer - UKPS (Last Mile)
Mast degree - Msc Mechanic Engineering

Cool. In principal grad schemes are permanent jobs with a period (2 years in your case) of specific development training. So whether your employer lets you take a year out of work and guarantees to reemploy you is up to them.

Likewise - they may be happy to offset sponsorship for an msc especially if on a part time basis.

Alternatively you work there for a period of years and resign to do an msc if that is your preference .

Congratulations on the job! The tough thing is usually getting into graduate level work.
Original post by NeverGivingUp
A lot of people tend to do internships after university and before their postgraduate degrees. I'm about to graduate this year and have applied for a graduate job, which has a graduate training for 2 years. Can I do the graduate training for the 2 years, then go to a university for a Master's, then return to the job for a permanent position? I just think I will have a better chance with the Masters with some experience in the outside world.

As @ajj2000 says, the graduate job is likely to be a permanent position. Once you're in employment, it's unlikely an employer will allow you to take a sabbatical long enough to study a master's - though I am aware of this happening. A more likely route, if you are keen on getting a master's, would be part time study over three years. But if you already have a job there may not be a particularly strong reason to do a master's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending