The Student Room Group

STEM students should pay higher tuition fees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lh030396
I believe that students studying STEM subjects at university should pay higher tuition fees than non-STEM students because, on average, STEM students go on to work in highly paid jobs so are more likely to pay back student loans. Students who want to study non-STEM subjects like Media Studies, Art, Music, History, etc. should still be allowed to study those subjects, because education is vital, and people are entitled to study whatever they want. But these subjects, on average, tend to lead to lower-paid employment and often even minimum-wage work. So students end up with ridiculous debt that they can't afford to pay back over their working lives.Tuition fees for STEM students should be £9,000 a year. For non-STEM students: about £3,000 a year. STEM students get better teaching facilities and debt that they can pay back in full when they start work. Non-STEM students are left with much less debt which they might also be able to pay back in full when they go into lower-paid work. Both sides win... 😃

No, just no :s-smilie:

Why should STEM students be penalised for choosing more academically rigorous and in-demand degrees?
I disagree, STEM subjects if anything should be encouraged as each graduate that ends up in a well paying job will only go on to help the economy, which in turn also helps to provide student finance for new students.

It doesn't make sense to discourage students from taking a degree which they'd like because of the added worry of financial cost associated with the specific degree.
Original post by Lh030396
I believe that students studying STEM subjects at university should pay higher tuition fees than non-STEM students because, on average, STEM students go on to work in highly paid jobs so are more likely to pay back student loans. Students who want to study non-STEM subjects like Media Studies, Art, Music, History, etc. should still be allowed to study those subjects, because education is vital, and people are entitled to study whatever they want. But these subjects, on average, tend to lead to lower-paid employment and often even minimum-wage work. So students end up with ridiculous debt that they can't afford to pay back over their working lives.Tuition fees for STEM students should be £9,000 a year. For non-STEM students: about £3,000 a year. STEM students get better teaching facilities and debt that they can pay back in full when they start work. Non-STEM students are left with much less debt which they might also be able to pay back in full when they go into lower-paid work. Both sides win... 😃

So you think STEM students should pay for non-STEMs?

Well you should have research your degree's job prospects and the living costs of uni study beforehand.

You can't buy a Porsche you can't afford and expect me to pay for it, any more than you can expect a worker and tax payer to subsidise someone who's too lazy to work.

BTW I'm not your mom :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually as stem students contribute to society, I think it should be as follows
Medical-free if they stay with the nhs for 10years, otherwise 9k/y (timer doesn’t start until they leave nhs, if they stay 10y it’s wiped off and they don’t pay a penny)
STEM- 3k/y
Non stem- 9k/y
Gender studies/feminism related, oh, idk, 250k/y? Punish the idiots for wasting university resources I say.
Also, stem degrees+medical should get maintenance grants, non stem is loans and GS/Fem get no maintenance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending