The Student Room Group

Inquiry about Student Finance England

Hello,

I am writing to seek information and clarification regarding the Student Finance application process. I was born in London but have been residing in France for several years due to family reasons. I have recently decided to return to London to pursue higher education, and I have been accepted by a university as a home student, making me eligible for the UK student tuition fees (£9,250).

As I initiate my application on Student Finance, I have a few questions:

- When does the application period usually open for the academic year 2024/2025?
- Is it a critical issue if I cannot provide my National Insurance Number (NINo) at this stage, given that I can obtain it only before starting university? (I will submit the application only once I move to London for my studies.)
- How important is it to provide a student bank account, and does it need to be a UK bank account? Currently, I have a French bank account.
- According to the information provided, it states that I need to reside for 3 years prior to my university enrollment in order to be eligible for the scholarship. However, currently, I am in France. Is this a significant issue?

I appreciate your time in reading and responding to my inquiry.

Kind regards,
Original post by marleneee
Hello,

I am writing to seek information and clarification regarding the Student Finance application process. I was born in London but have been residing in France for several years due to family reasons. I have recently decided to return to London to pursue higher education, and I have been accepted by a university as a home student, making me eligible for the UK student tuition fees (£9,250).

As I initiate my application on Student Finance, I have a few questions:

- When does the application period usually open for the academic year 2024/2025?
- Is it a critical issue if I cannot provide my National Insurance Number (NINo) at this stage, given that I can obtain it only before starting university? (I will submit the application only once I move to London for my studies.)
- How important is it to provide a student bank account, and does it need to be a UK bank account? Currently, I have a French bank account.
- According to the information provided, it states that I need to reside for 3 years prior to my university enrollment in order to be eligible for the scholarship. However, currently, I am in France. Is this a significant issue?

I appreciate your time in reading and responding to my inquiry.

Kind regards,

Hi Marlene,

Just to check first, are you only looking to apply for the tuition fees? If so, you don't need a bank account nor do you need to provide your National Insurance Number. The undergraduate applications will go live in the spring. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Marlene,

Just to check first, are you only looking to apply for the tuition fees? If so, you don't need a bank account nor do you need to provide your National Insurance Number. The undergraduate applications will go live in the spring. Thanks, Jason

Hello Jason,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. Indeed, I am inquiring about tuition fees. However, I would also like to request maintenance fees, considering my current situation. I have noticed the necessity to provide a bank account and was wondering whether it should be a student or a regular bank account and if it needs to be a UK bank account. Additionally, I'm wondering if disclosing my National Insurance Number (NINo) is required for maintenance fees. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I am currently not residing in the United Kingdom. Will this affect my application for maintenance fees?
Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regard,
Hi Marlene,

If you are applying for the Maintenance Loan, you need to have a National Insurance Number if you are applying as a home student and are a UK national. You also require a UK bank account so that we can pay your Maintenance Loan payments to you.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending