The Student Room Group

effect of parasympathomimetic, parasympatholytic ans sympathomimetic drugs

hiya guys can anyone please tell me the effect of:-
- parasympathomimetic drugs on the heart, intestines and bladder, eye and salivary and sweat glands.
- anticlholiesterases on the eye, intestines and bladder
-atropine like/parasympatholytic on bronchi, intestines and urinary tract and eye.
-sympathomimetic drugs on bronchi, eye blood vessels, nose blood vessels.
-sympathetic antagonists on the heart and blood vessels.

i dont need to know the clinical uses i just need to know a quick outline on what they do.

effect of parasympathomimetic, parasympatholytic ans sympathomimetic drugs
Reply 1
1) increased parasympathetic innervation (muscarinic agonist): i.e. pilocarpine

- decreases heart rate, decreases contractility of heart, decreases pupil size (miosis), increases secretions of salivary + sweat glands, increases gut motility

2) parasympathetic blockade (muscarinic antagonist): i.e. atropine

- increases heart rate, increases contractility of heart, pupillary dilation, decreases secretions of salivary + sweat glands, decreases gut motility

3) increased sympathetic innervation (adrenoreceptor agonists):

- bronchodilation (B2 adrenoreceptor agonist), increased heart rate and contractility of heart (B1 adrenoreceptor agonist), vasoconstriction (alpha adrenoreceptor agonist)

4) sympathetic blockade (adrenoreceptor antagonists):

- bronchoconstriction (B2 adrenoreceptor blockade), decreased heart rate and contractility of heart (B1 adrenoreceptor blockade), vasodilation (alpha adrenoreceptor blockade)

[Note the effect of drugs that act upon sympathetic nervous system are dependent on which subtype of adrenoreceptors they act upon]

5) Acetylcholinesterase blockade (anti-cholinesterase)

- blocks the acetylcholinesterase enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine
- and so causes increased levels of acetylcholine
- increases activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors which increases innervation of muscles
- and increases activation of parasympathetic system as activates muscarinic receptors

- (edit: google 'organophosphate poisoning' - it's the only example of an anti-cholinesterase that i can think of + just ask if anything is unclear)
Reply 2
ooooooh thank you so much! I can now fully understand my lecture :biggrin:
btw, I eat carrots everyday - does that make me a zombie?
Reply 3
zombie?
Reply 4
"Recent research has shows that there is a 100% chance that eating carrots will kill you"
I am therefore a living dead person meaning that i'm a zombie.
I'm assuming that youve taken the second drug and put it last on your list and that everything else is in order with my list.

Latest

Trending

Trending