The Student Room Group

How to improve my grades

I'm currently in year 11 and I got my grades for my subjects.
I got a 7 in math and English literature and a 6 in Spanish.
Although these grades are okay I want to improve by at least two grades over this year.
I have my mocks in three weeks, I was wondering if it is possible for me to increase by one grade in each of the subjects and how I would do go about doing that.
I'm really struggling, someone please help :frown:
Original post by Khadi99
Although these grades are okay I want to improve by at least two grades over this year.
I have my mocks in three weeks, I was wondering if it is possible for me to increase by one grade in each of the subjects and how I would do go about doing that.

For maths prcTice is key. Practice so many questions until u get sick of seeing the same ones because that’s what the exam is it’s just the same type of questions.

Eng language depends on your exam board but I move from a 6/7 to a strong 8 ( what I got in my actual gcse, got a 9 in the mock) in a year. Depends what your exam board is but I did aqa. Firstly watch mr salles videos as these will help you to understand what the examiner is looking for. Then read exemplars and examiner reports these will tell you what the examiner is looking for. Practice loads ans get your teacher to mark it, this way u can see where u need to improve. Also Thsi helps with timing but the best thing for creative writing is do something unexpected examiners read the same boring things so change it up a little. Mr salles ans mr bruff videos help witj this.

Spanish I got an 8 which is a shame bc was expecting a 9 but for your writing have like set phrases for each tense u use. In the exam I had a mental checklist so every writing piece I used around 8 tenses. Include idioms as well. Reading ans listenings are so different to what u do in class so just memorise online vocabulary sheets for these, and for speaking watch Spanish tv ans don’t be shy. Make sure you know good vocab and intersting phrases though for your writing and speaking. The examiner will love this.

Hope this helps. If you need help w any more subjects lmk
Reply 2
Maths is all about practice, do questions from every topic that will be on your mocks, make a note of where you lose marks, try and figure out what you did to lose those marks and then attempt a similar question, and if you get stuck speak to a teacher

English lit and Spanish are about knowing the content. For English Lit I'd suggest making rough essay plans for topics that could come up, making sure you have quotes and make sure you are very familiar with the actual plot and themes - if you have forgotten, I'd suggest watching / listening to a summary and then actually rereading your texts closer to the summer exams. For spanish, obviously try and make yourself familiar with the key voab (and how it sounds) and also try and learn the tenses - I always struggled with this (I did french so it might be a bit different) but I found it much easier to just learn a few examples in each tense that I could use in my writing / use to help me figure out the tense in the reading and listening
Original post by sara572729

For maths prcTice is key. Practice so many questions until u get sick of seeing the same ones because that’s what the exam is it’s just the same type of questions.

Eng language depends on your exam board but I move from a 6/7 to a strong 8 ( what I got in my actual gcse, got a 9 in the mock) in a year. Depends what your exam board is but I did aqa. Firstly watch mr salles videos as these will help you to understand what the examiner is looking for. Then read exemplars and examiner reports these will tell you what the examiner is looking for. Practice loads ans get your teacher to mark it, this way u can see where u need to improve. Also Thsi helps with timing but the best thing for creative writing is do something unexpected examiners read the same boring things so change it up a little. Mr salles ans mr bruff videos help witj this.

Spanish I got an 8 which is a shame bc was expecting a 9 but for your writing have like set phrases for each tense u use. In the exam I had a mental checklist so every writing piece I used around 8 tenses. Include idioms as well. Reading ans listenings are so different to what u do in class so just memorise online vocabulary sheets for these, and for speaking watch Spanish tv ans don’t be shy. Make sure you know good vocab and intersting phrases though for your writing and speaking. The examiner will love this.

Hope this helps. If you need help w any more subjects lmk

Sorry thought u said English lang. English lit u can defo move up I went from 5/6 to 3 marks off a 9 in a year. Make sure you know loads of quotes that are applicable to everything. Do loads of practice papers ans get them marked. Read exemplar essays for diff view points u want ur views to be perceptive. Make sure u have good context and big words so the examiner thinks you know what you’re doing. But practice loads. I found a good way to revise would be mindmappinh characters ans themes for each book ans having at least 10 quotes that I could use for any theme ans character. Sorry if this was a bit brief and sorry abt typos !!
Reply 4
Thank you so much!!!
Original post by Khadi99

Like water current is thinking , don't go against it take deep breath, take break and go with it , learn in different ways angles , look at high marks to low to mid and find the difference then your an expert
I would say you write your own thing.

Quick Reply

Latest