The Student Room Group

Hijabi reporter on C4 News and the Nice massacre. Your thoughts?

The Sun columnist, Kelvin Mackenzie recently attacked C4 News for having one of its reporters, Fatima Manji, cover the story of the Nice truck attack. She is a hijab wearing Muslim, and he argued that this was insensitive to the victims.

C4 News and Fatima took Mackenzie and the Sun to the Press Regulator:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fatima-manji-truth-kelvin-mackenzies-11635404

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36866133

The Regulator has just found against them:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2018647/how-pleased-i-am-to-have-defeated-ben-de-pear-and-his-anti-free-speech-mafia-at-channel-4-news/

So I have two questions for TSR.

1. Was the Regulator correct in its ruling that the Sun columnist was entitled to criticise C4 News for using a hijab wearing reporter to cover the story?

2. Was Mackenzie right that it was inappropriate to have a reporter wearing Muslim clothing (assuming that the hijab is Muslim clothing of course) cover such a story, at such a sensitive time?

Scroll to see replies

I think mackenzie was right to criticise it.Whilst the vast majority of muslims in the west are peaceful it was pretty disrespectful to have a strong symbol of islam whilst reporting on it.These terrorists are often called extremists.Thats because they follow Islam extremely.The difference between extremists and non extremists is that the extremists take Islam far more seriously.They follow it to the letter.Non extremists dont.They take islam less seriously.So yes he was right to criticise it.
Reply 2
The real question here is why an apparently well educated and well informed citizen of an enlightened, liberal, secular society would choose to wear the hijab at all, let alone when publicly covering such a sensitive issue.

Kelvin Mackenzie is a ****.
Reply 3
Yes.
No.
It was a bit like having a vicar reporting on a murder committed in the name of Christianity. There's nothing inherently wrong with it at face value, but it's bound to stir up emotions and it would seem as if it was done to be purposely contentious.
Obviously what happened in Nice and Orlando this year was absolutely terrible.
It is vitally important that Muslims talk about what is happening.
I happen to have read parts of the Qu'ran
The Qu'ran is homophobic (cite Orlando).
The Qu'ran also says that if you don't believe in Allah, you are going to hell for a long time.
Thiis is why we need to all open ourselves to having friendships with people from different backgrounds in order to understand each other.
i think it is a cover-up

SWIDT ?
No religious symbols should be worn by TV presenters. That goes for Crucifixes or Islamic headscarves. They are there to do a job in a professional manner. They should leave their own personal beliefs to their own free, personal time away from the cameras.
Original post by QE2
The real question here is why an apparently well educated and well informed citizen of an enlightened, liberal, secular society would choose to wear the hijab at all, let alone when publicly covering such a sensitive issue.

Kelvin Mackenzie is a ****.

Would you say the same about a nun or a married Jewish woman who wears a wig to cover her hair?
Who cares what she wears? If someone wants to walk around dressed as Mickey Mouse, or walk around in a Borat costume I couldn't care less. It is up to each of us to decide what we wear and as long as you are not trying to enforce your lifestyle choice on others, there is no problem.
Reply 9
Disgusting. The guy literally related a Muslim reporter with terrorism and gets away with it. Its tough for Muslims in the UK.
Reply 10
Original post by markova21
No religious symbols should be worn by TV presenters. That goes for Crucifixes or Islamic headscarves. They are there to do a job in a professional manner. They should leave their own personal beliefs to their own free, personal time away from the cameras.

What a free country that is, don't express your beliefs(!)

Why? How is it not professional?

Wearing a headscarf, turban or a small piece of metal is not enforcing one's beliefs on the viewers.

Some militant atheists really are wacko.
News presenters shouldn't wear anything that identifies them as having biases when on air.
I notice that this article has recieved much more publicity than a similar article criticising the BBC's Dan Walker's appointment to breakfast due to his religion, which unlike a hijab wearing muslim he keeps completely out of his work life.
Original post by champ_mc99
Why? How is it not professional?

Wearing a headscarf, turban or a small piece of metal is not enforcing one's beliefs on the viewers.

Some militant atheists really are wacko.

LOL. I'm a Catholic, actually.
Original post by desaf1
What a free country that is, don't express your beliefs(!)

You shouldn't be expressing your beliefs while presenting a TV programme. It's not the time or the place for that.
LOL. I'm a Catholic, actually.

And you're offended about your fellow Catholics wearing a crucifix on TV?

You seemed strongly against public religious attire so I thought it was a reasonable assumption.
Original post by champ_mc99
And you're offended about your fellow Catholics wearing a crucifix on TV?

You seemed strongly against public religious attire so I thought it was a reasonable assumption.

I didn't say I was offended. I said there is a time and a place for religion. Being at work ,and especially, if that work is on front of the TV cameras, isn't one of them. I sure as hell wouldn't dream of ramming my religion down anyone else's throat.
Ironically, I have seen many hypocrites who claim to be against pushing the us vs them narrative when it suits them and claim that they are for inclusion and integration saying that this is insensitive. This is despite that including Muslims in the struggle against extremism rather than demanding apologies and telling them to make themselves scarce so that their appearance doesn't offend others would actually be in line with such a stance.
Reply 18
Original post by Bornblue
Would you say the same about a nun or a married Jewish woman who wears a wig to cover her hair?
Yes.

Who cares what she wears? If someone wants to walk around dressed as Mickey Mouse, or walk around in a Borat costume I couldn't care less. It is up to each of us to decide what we wear and as long as you are not trying to enforce your lifestyle choice on others, there is no problem.
Of course it is up to each individual to decide how they dress and what message is implied by that decision.
But the freedom to make that choice does not exempt them from having those choices scrutinised and criticised.
Reply 19
Original post by desaf1
Disgusting. The guy literally related a Muslim reporter with terrorism and gets away with it.
No he didn't. He* simply questioned the wisdom of having someone report on an Islamist atrocity while wearing a symbol of Islamism. IPSO merely ruled that he was within his rights to raise the question, not that his position was valid.

Its tough for Muslims in the UK.
Of course it is.

* Kelvin Mackenzie is a ****.

Latest

Trending

Trending