The Student Room Group

Maths advice

Hi all,
To be frank, I am currently flopping A levels maths year2. I got a grade 8 at GCSE and thought i was doing ok until my report came back today...
Predicted C.
But my UCAS grade is an A* but I am not worried about that as of right now. I just need help with motivation CAUSE year 13 is so so so hard.
Original post by A h
Hi all,
To be frank, I am currently flopping A levels maths year2. I got a grade 8 at GCSE and thought i was doing ok until my report came back today...
Predicted C.
But my UCAS grade is an A* but I am not worried about that as of right now. I just need help with motivation CAUSE year 13 is so so so hard.

You refer to "Predicted C" and "UCAS grade is an A*". Given that the grades your school adds to your UCAS application are predicted grades, this is a little confusing.

Are you saying that at the time your school added your predicted grades to your UCAS application, they were predicting an A*, but are now predicting a C? Or are you saying that their prediction has always been C, but they told UCAS A* anyway to get you more offers? Or are you saying that you need an A* to apply to your target unis?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You refer to "Predicted C" and "UCAS grade is an A*". Given that the grades your school adds to your UCAS application are predicted grades, this is a little confusing.

Are you saying that at the time your school added your predicted grades to your UCAS application, they were predicting an A*, but are now predicting a C? Or are you saying that their prediction has always been C, but they told UCAS A* anyway to get you more offers? Or are you saying that you need an A* to apply to your target unis?

I got an A* in my end of year 1 mocks and applied early. But my current predicted grade is a C
Original post by A h
I got an A* in my end of year 1 mocks and applied early. But my current predicted grade is a C

Understood. If you "got an A* in my end of year 1 mocks" and "thought i was doing ok until my report came back today", then it sounds like you need to talk to your Maths teacher to establish what the issue is. A three-grade drop in prediction from A* in May/June to C now is fairly dramatic!

Do you know the basis upon your new prediction has been established? Have you done a further mock since that at the end of year 1? Did you do significantly worse in this mock? If so, did you have an "off" day, or was it just really hard? Or, conversely, was the end-of-year mock artificially easy?

Or perhaps your new prediction is based upon your work in class, your homework, end-of-topic tests, etc? Are you aware of having struggled in these areas? It sounds like you must have been doing OK, given how much of a surprise this new prediction is.

Either way, I think you need to talk to your Maths teacher to get some specific advice on how to get your self back to an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest