The Student Room Group

Worried that my voice sounds odd - please help me

Hey there. I have poor social skills, and am a little concerned about the way I speak. I've recorded a clip below:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EPGE9NL4lI

Do I sound at all unusual or otherwise odd to you, and if so, how can I normalise my voice? To me, my speech is always filled with pausing, muttered vowels, a weird overtone (especially during conversation), and I just can't think of anyone else that sounds the way I do, which depresses me. Even if I put on another accent, I still have this weird tone. I have spoken similarly to this (excluding pitch) pretty much since I began talking. Are my problems genetic or what?
sounds quite normal.
You sound normal to me, mate. I think you're just overthinking for the most part. You do come across as a little bit nervous though.
Where are you from? You sound normal to me if that's any consolation.
Original post by RJDG14
Hey there. I have poor social skills, and am a little concerned about the way I speak. I've recorded a clip below:

Do I sound at all unusual or otherwise odd to you, and if so, how can I normalise my voice? To me, my speech is always filled with pausing, muttered vowels, a weird overtone (especially during conversation), and I just can't think of anyone else that sounds the way I do, which depresses me. Even if I put on another accent, I still have this weird tone. I have spoken similarly to this (excluding pitch) pretty much since I began talking. Are my problems genetic or what?

I always feel like I sound like a 5 year old kid when I talk to people. :sadnod:
You have a nice "low end" to your voice, the type that would sound good on radio tbh

Spoiler

Lol you don't sound strange at all. I've heard multiple people that speak like you.
Nothing strange about it.
You sound decidedly... reptilian. Something about the Sss.
Reply 9
Original post by swiftylol
Lol you don't sound strange at all. I've heard multiple people that speak like you.

Where were these people from?

As for the other person, I've lived in both Bath and Swindon.
Reply 10
Original post by RJDG14

Omg, when I speak I think I sound okay like a man but when I actually listen to myself in videos I sound like a 5 year old girl...
There's nothing wrong with your accent :smile: I think you sound fine! As for the pausing, that is a whole lot better than saying "erm" all of the time. It'll come in handy if you ever come across presentations.
Reply 12
Sounds normal. You have a great voice lol In the least creepiest way possible, its one of those soothing voices lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RJDG14
Where were these people from?

As for the other person, I've lived in both Bath and Swindon.

Met them at uni and online, not sure where they're from.
Reply 14
You sound like someone that makes educational tutorials on YouTube, perfectly normal.

Quick Reply

Latest