The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

I am currently writing my personal statement and I am wondering if I can use quillbot or paraphrasing website to help my enhance my choice of wording while writing it. Does anyone know if that is ok. Becaue i wrote it and I am done, but I'm trying to make it better by changing the wording and making it a bit more professional.
Thank you
Original post by NOBODYBISHESSS
I am currently writing my personal statement and I am wondering if I can use quillbot or paraphrasing website to help my enhance my choice of wording while writing it. Does anyone know if that is ok. Becaue i wrote it and I am done, but I'm trying to make it better by changing the wording and making it a bit more professional.
Thank you

Why would you want your PERSONAL statement to sound professional?
Reply 2
And Unis can spot PS that have been 'massaged' or 'over-worked' a mile off.
Thank you

Hi @NOBODYBISHESSS

The best thing about personal statements (PS) is that it gives us the opportunity to show off our true authentic self to the applicant readers. Universities and colleges aren't necessarily concerned with how professional you sound, they want individuals with a story, passion and those who display a depth of knowledge to the course they're applying to.

I don't recommend that you use any websites or services to alter your words, most universities (if not all) are able to detect and recognise when papers, documents, essays, assignments have been altered with third-party services.

Nonetheless, as long as your PS has a sensical flow, structure and is grammatically correct, you shouldn't be too concerned with trying to sound professional.

Best of luck,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
And Unis can spot PS that have been 'massaged' or 'over-worked' a mile off.

isnt that a good thing, shows the student is eager to join
Original post by Clivierx
isnt that a good thing, shows the student is eager to join

When you read dozens of PS’s a day, please believe me that the last thing you want landing on your desk is some bland rubbish that’s been coached.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One

When you read dozens of PS’s a day, please believe me that the last thing you want landing on your desk is some bland rubbish that’s been coached.

So are you saying that it shouldn't sound professional but sound more like "you"?
Reply 7
but sound more like "you"?

Please!
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @NOBODYBISHESSS

The best thing about personal statements (PS) is that it gives us the opportunity to show off our true authentic self to the applicant readers. Universities and colleges aren't necessarily concerned with how professional you sound, they want individuals with a story, passion and those who display a depth of knowledge to the course they're applying to.

I don't recommend that you use any websites or services to alter your words, most universities (if not all) are able to detect and recognise when papers, documents, essays, assignments have been altered with third-party services.

Nonetheless, as long as your PS has a sensical flow, structure and is grammatically correct, you shouldn't be too concerned with trying to sound professional.

Best of luck,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep

Thank you, for actually answering my question. I get what you mean and will keep that in mind.
So are you saying that it shouldn't sound professional but sound more like "you"?

It can still sound professional whilst being personal. If you run it through any kind of filter/AI it will remove most of what makes it unique to you. Your ‘voice’ will be sanitised.
Reply 10
Thank you

You should try Word Counter, you can even see what level your writing is (sixth form/university etc) and also helps alot in counting the words. There are specific settings too that can help you with finding errors and all that. Good luck!
Original post by rina.zann
You should try Word Counter, you can even see what level your writing is (sixth form/university etc) and also helps alot in counting the words. There are specific settings too that can help you with finding errors and all that. Good luck!

Thank you 🤍

Quick Reply

Latest