The Student Room Group

Does anyone else really hate getting told off?

Hi. Literally, I find getting told off the absolute worst. When someone does tell me off, or criticise me, I feel my cheeks getting really hot and sometimes even get a lump in my throat and then I feel really bad about myself, and spiral in really negative thoughts. As I'm 18 I'm not at school anymore so it is less relevant now these day, but I still do occasionally get told off by managers at work, or just criticised by customers. It's sooo horrible when it happens in front of other people. Does anyone else experience this?
Reply 1
I get like this too. I was especially bad for this at school. I'd want to burst out crying and would think of it all day and even when trying to get to sleep.

I never got it when my family would tell me off. I only ever felt it when I got into trouble from people of authority.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I get like this too. I was especially bad for this at school. I'd want to burst out crying and would think of it all day and even when trying to get to sleep.

I never got it when my family would tell me off. I only ever felt it when I got into trouble from people of authority.
Aww I suppose it's maybe the embarrassment factor, as, when you're at school, it's likely that it's happening infront of other people. And I know what you mean about people of authority - it's not so bad being criticised by people my own age - however I still feel it even when done by family
Original post by Spock's Socks

Agree 100% - I'm like this as well
Yeah being told off feels terrible. I feel bad for ages and ages after it and usually burst into tears :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending