The Student Room Group

How to get over heartbreak

I got dumped not that long ago, we were together for nearly 2 years, were in a really serious relationship and really in love. I never saw it coming that our relationship would end but I see the problems now. I was really really heartbroken for a while, but now I just feel weird- go through mood swings. Some days I feel very numb, other days I feel pretty betrayed still and angry, feel a bit of hate, then sometimes I just miss them still a lot and wish things could go back to how they were. Not sure I feel love for them anymore tho, I think the love is still there deep down, but I don't let myself think about that cos that will bring the pain back all over again. I hate thinking about them constantly every single day but I can't help it. The worst part is not knowing what they're thinking and the potential that they're totally fine while I'm still screwing.

I just wanted to know how long has it taken for other people to get over heartbreak and stop feeling like this and thinking about them constantly? And for those who have dumped someone they still loved but just thought their relationship wasn't working anymore, how long did it take you to get over it?
Original post by Anonymous
I got dumped not that long ago, we were together for nearly 2 years, were in a really serious relationship and really in love. I never saw it coming that our relationship would end but I see the problems now. I was really really heartbroken for a while, but now I just feel weird- go through mood swings. Some days I feel very numb, other days I feel pretty betrayed still and angry, feel a bit of hate, then sometimes I just miss them still a lot and wish things could go back to how they were. Not sure I feel love for them anymore tho, I think the love is still there deep down, but I don't let myself think about that cos that will bring the pain back all over again. I hate thinking about them constantly every single day but I can't help it. The worst part is not knowing what they're thinking and the potential that they're totally fine while I'm still screwing.

I just wanted to know how long has it taken for other people to get over heartbreak and stop feeling like this and thinking about them constantly? And for those who have dumped someone they still loved but just thought their relationship wasn't working anymore, how long did it take you to get over it?

Go to a bar or club and get a new lad.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Go to a bar or club and get a new lad.

I have made out with other guys since I got dumped, and it was fun and helped me forget about my ex in the moment, but it didn't stop me feeling so heartbroken the rest of the time and I'm not ready to date anyone else properly at all yet. I wanna get over feeling like this first.
Reply 3

I would advise going on a solo holiday for a few days, that involves massage therapy or swimming.
Something relaxing to take your mind off the whole situation.
I have made out with other guys since I got dumped, and it was fun and helped me forget about my ex in the moment, but it didn't stop me feeling so heartbroken the rest of the time and I'm not ready to date anyone else properly at all yet. I wanna get over feeling like this first.

Get a new bf. That’s the quickest way
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
I’d say it takes a full year to get over a significant relationship that ends before you hoped. Friends and distractions help
The first breakup tends to be the hardest of them all. After my granddad met my first girlfriend, he told me "congrats, you've met the first girl that'll break your heart". I was very upset with him because we had been going out for a long long time, I loved her, and I was young and unexperienced and truly believed that I'd build a future with this girl. But my granddad was right. She shattered my heart into a million pieces, and I was very depressed and gloomy for a couple of months afterwards. I thought I'd never get over her and I'd always be depressed...

All stupid young beliefs, as it'd transpire. Time heals everything if you give it long enough. You said the breakup was "not that long ago" so probably nowhere near long enough time has passed for you to get over it. How long that'll be is up to you - people take different times in getting over things so no one can really say, but you'll get over it. Everyone does. It helps to try to look forward rather than back, but what you really need is a good friend or two, distractions, and above all, time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending