The Student Room Group

Bad placement

Hello, need to vent! I hate my placement. They are kind enough but won’t let me do anything, hardly allowed to speak to patients. They have put a complaint into the uni about my attitude and professionalism, I have spoke up about wanting to do more so I can meet my competencies, my tutors have been supportive but now I need an extension on my epad to get things signed off.

I had to take a week off due to personal matters and I’m terrified about returning.

Anyone been in this position? How do I handle it? It’s making me want to quit!
Reply 1
i finished my placement a few days ago, on my last week they told me they had issues with my attitude and professionalism and were going to fail me for the placement, so in a similar position to you. i had no idea of these issues as i'd only gotten praise and stuff from everyone there so it was a big shock. i spoke to the nurse who told me about these and she told me 'nursing isn't for everyone', so i completely understand the wanting to quit part. i've learn that i need to accept it because i couldn't change their minds no matter how much i disagreed with what was said. my only advice is that you go back and push through as hard as you can until the end, i felt awful having to go back in to finish the last week knowing that i'd failed and just in general hated the feeling of disappointment that entirely consumed me. but PLEASE don't quit, i felt like that too but it only made me more upset about everything and doubt my abilities more. just because one placement isn't doing what they NEED to do (teach you, get you signed off, give you opportunities) doesn't mean that it's your fault or you should quit. i promise there will be better placements for you coming up (and for the both of us hopefully!) and quitting won't be worth it
Reply 2
Thank you for commenting, I’m so sorry you went through that. It’s so hard not to dread going back tomorrow, I’ve had a week off due to stuff going on at home and I don’t wanna go back. It’s because of them I have to loose two weeks of my summer to get my epad done. Just feel defeated to be honest.
Reply 3
Original post by LauraD1990
Thank you for commenting, I’m so sorry you went through that. It’s so hard not to dread going back tomorrow, I’ve had a week off due to stuff going on at home and I don’t wanna go back. It’s because of them I have to loose two weeks of my summer to get my epad done. Just feel defeated to be honest.

completely understandable love, you're allowed to dread it and feel defeated - sometimes i feel like placements do it on purpose tbh! do you have a bit of time left, then a small break and go back for 2 weeks or are you doing your 2 weeks now? and could your tutor at uni provide any support whether that's a chat about how it's making you feel/stuff going on at home, or student wellbeing?
Reply 4
Original post by okayykayy
completely understandable love, you're allowed to dread it and feel defeated - Isometimes i feel like placements do it on purpose tbh! do you have a bit of time left, then a small break and go back for 2 weeks or are you doing your 2 weeks now? and could your tutor at uni provide any support whether that's a chat about how it's making you feel/stuff going on at home, or student wellbeing?

I have to go back, I got two weeks in placement then a week back in theory and then I have to stay in placement until the 17th of august, I’m going to try and get spoke weeks so I can get a bit of a breather
Reply 5
Original post by okayykayy
i finished my placement a few days ago, on my last week they told me they had issues with my attitude and professionalism and were going to fail me for the placement, so in a similar position to you. i had no idea of these issues as i'd only gotten praise and stuff from everyone there so it was a big shock. i spoke to the nurse who told me about these and she told me 'nursing isn't for everyone', so i completely understand the wanting to quit part. i've learn that i need to accept it because i couldn't change their minds no matter how much i disagreed with what was said. my only advice is that you go back and push through as hard as you can until the end, i felt awful having to go back in to finish the last week knowing that i'd failed and just in general hated the feeling of disappointment that entirely consumed me. but PLEASE don't quit, i felt like that too but it only made me more upset about everything and doubt my abilities more. just because one placement isn't doing what they NEED to do (teach you, get you signed off, give you opportunities) doesn't mean that it's your fault or you should quit. i promise there will be better placements for you coming up (and for the both of us hopefully!) and quitting won't be worth it

They absolutely cannot spring something like this on you in your last week without warning. Had they said anything to you beforehand at all or has everything been ok?
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
They absolutely cannot spring something like this on you in your last week without warning. Had they said anything to you beforehand at all or has everything been ok?

Yes no one has said anything before hand, they haven’t sat down and done any of my competencies with me yet.
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt

in my case they literally hadnt said anything to me before about any potential issues that they were noticing - they hadn't really given me any feedback other than i was doing a good job (which was said halfway through the placement - they didn't say anything else between the mid point and the final point), so i just wasn't expecting something like that unfortunately
We've just done our first placements and the experiences have been mixed. On my ward there were 5 of us from the same course and we had completely different experiences.

The best thing you can do is keep talking to uni, make sure they know you are being proactive and are willing to take on feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending