The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE Grades but good BTEC Grades

Hello,

Im currently applying for university next year 2017. My English is not my first language and I had problems during my high school days thats why I received poor GCSE grades. Regarding to this both my Maths and English are poor. I just finished college course which is BTEC Business Diploma this year with an outstanding grade which is D*D*D* (The highest grade you could possibly get). My question is will I get into UNIVERSITY with this BTEC grade? I have applied Business management course for Bristol, Brighton, Anglian Ruskin University, Surrey and Southampton. Any advice would really appreciate. Thank you very much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by itzmemarc
Hello,

Im currently applying for university next year 2018. My English is not my first language and I had problems during my high school days thats why I received poor GCSE grades. Regarding to this both my Maths and English are poor. I just finished college course which is BTEC Business Diploma this year with an outstanding grade which is D*D*D* (The highest grade you could possibly get). My question is will I get into UNIVERSITY with this BTEC grade? I have applied Business management course for Bristol, Brighton, Anglian Ruskin University, Surrey and Southampton. Any advice would really appreciate. Thank you very much.

Yes.

They will understand. Explain English isn't your first language.
Reply 2
im currently applying for university next year 2018.

Next year is 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Next year is 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have edited it. Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by elmosandy
Yes.

They will understand. Explain English isn't your first language.

Is that possible? if so, thank you for letting me know :smile:
Reply 5
I have edited it. Thank you

Ok :smile:

So what are your GCSE grades for English and Maths?

Surrey requires grade C for both for Business Management. The other universities will state their requirements too and typically they tend to be strict about GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

Im currently applying for university next year 2017. My English is not my first language and I had problems during my high school days thats why I received poor GCSE grades. Regarding to this both my Maths and English are poor. I just finished college course which is BTEC Business Diploma this year with an outstanding grade which is D*D*D* (The highest grade you could possibly get). My question is will I get into UNIVERSITY with this BTEC grade? I have applied Business management course for Bristol, Brighton, Anglian Ruskin University, Surrey and Southampton. Any advice would really appreciate. Thank you very much.

As above they'll usually expect a C grade in English and Maths GCSE for applicants who took GCSEs.

However if you only moved to England shortly before your GCSEs then that will usually be allowed for - make sure your reference explains your education history clearly.

They're likely to ask you to sit an IELTS or TOEFL test to show your English is up to the standards required for non-native English speakers. IELTS is available all over the UK and can be sat 3 times each month - so if this is something they require it's best to enter yourself for the exam early so that you have time to resit if need be. http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/locations/united-kingdom
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Ok :smile:

So what are your GCSE grades for English and Maths?

Surrey requires grade C for both for Business Management. The other universities will state their requirements too and typically they tend to be strict about GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

During high school I got an F on English and E on Maths. This was way back 2012. I done Functional skills Level 1 & 2 for both Maths and English at college and have passed them.
During high school I got an F on English and E on Maths. This was way back 2012. I done Functional skills Level 1 & 2 for both Maths and English at college and have passed them.

Often functional skills will be accepted as a substitute for GCSE maths/English. Contact the universities you're interested in and ask them.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Often functional skills will be accepted as a substitute for GCSE maths/English. Contact the universities you're interested in and ask them.

Thank you for your information, really helpful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending