The Student Room Group

only taking core subjects for gsce

is it okay that im only taking math science and english for gcse bc i got told it was okay to just do the core subjects seeing as im homeschooled but now im rethinking it because i dont know if it will stop me going to college im doing my exams next year so even if i did have to pick another i dont have much time to learn pls help if you can thank uu ?
Reply 1
It most likely will as most colleges require your top 8 grades and by only doing 3 you mostly likely would not be able to get into any college. also it will be very difficult when choosing what a levels you wan to pick as they almost always have grade requirements from a variety of subjects
Original post by SBILTON20
is it okay that im only taking math science and english for gcse bc i got told it was okay to just do the core subjects seeing as im homeschooled but now im rethinking it because i dont know if it will stop me going to college im doing my exams next year so even if i did have to pick another i dont have much time to learn pls help if you can thank uu ?

What do you want to study at college? The entry requirements will depend on what you study and at what level. For example a level 1 diploma in plumbing would probably only need Maths and English. Maths, English and Double award combined science at grade 4 or above would be enough to get onto some level 3 BTEC college courses but not all. It would not be enough for A levels. Your choice of subjects at college would also be limited by the lack of breadth in the subjects you have taken. Some colleges might be more flexible for a student who has been home schooled for GCSE but you would have to talk to them to find out.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
What do you want to study at college? Maths English and Double award combined science would be enough to get onto some level 3 BTEC college courses but not all. It would not be enough for A levels. Your choice of subjects at college would also be limited by the lack of breadth in the subjects you have taken. Some colleges might be more flexible for a student who has been home schooled got GCSE but you would have to talk to them to find out.

thank you for answering would taking btec be bad whats the difference between a levels and btec ?
thank you for answering would taking btec be bad whats the difference between a levels and btec ?

Level 3 BTEC would not be "bad"
They tend to have a more practical/applied focus than A levels that may be more theoretical/academic. They are assessed bit by bit with a mixture of exams and coursework rather than by big exams at the end of 2 years. If you know what area you want to make a career in then they can be better preparation than A levels. They will still enable you to attend university if that was your goal but you might be limited in your choice of courses depending on which BTEC subject you did. A levels would provide a much wider range of university courses to choose from.
Have a look at your college web site and browse what is on offer. You should arrange to visit and talk to them about the range of things you could choose.
For A levels you'd typically need at least 5 GCSE grade 9-4 with good grades in relevant GCSE for the A levels you want to study.

You will need minimum 5 GCSEs (grades 9-4) to do 3 A-levels, or to do a Level 3 BTEC course (A-level equivalent), that includes English Language and Maths. Are you taking English Language and Literature? Or just one? If you're taking both then you only need one more subject. Hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by eleanor65
You will need minimum 5 GCSEs (grades 9-4) to do 3 A-levels, or to do a Level 3 BTEC course (A-level equivalent), that includes English Language and Maths. Are you taking English Language and Literature? Or just one? If you're taking both then you only need one more subject. Hope this helps!

hey i want to take english language english literature maths combined science will that be enough does combined science mean 2 gcses or one ?
combined science gives you 2 grades so i assume 2 GCSEs but not 100% sure
hey i want to take english language english literature maths combined science will that be enough does combined science mean 2 gcses or one ?

If you took English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Combined Science, that would give you 5 GCSE grades (combined science counts as 2).
(edited 1 year ago)

As others have said, science would be 2 so that's 5 in total. Keep in mind that's the minimum requirement to do A levels and it's a very limited range of subjects. This will narrow your choices of what you are allowed to do next in college. The grades you achieve will also have a big impact. If you only study and enter foundation level for maths and science, your highest possible grade would only be a 5. What do you think you might like to do?
Reply 11
Original post by gdunne42
As others have said, science would be 2 so that's 5 in total. Keep in mind that's the minimum requirement to do A levels and it's a very limited range of subjects. This will narrow your choices of what you are allowed to do next in college. The grades you achieve will also have a big impact. If you only study and enter foundation level for maths and science, your highest possible grade would only be a 5. What do you think you might like to do?

i got told that i should take higher because it would be easier to get a 5 in higher than in foundation because thats the highest grade u can get is a 5 so im gonna take higher with everything i can but i just dont know which board would be best for each topic .
i got told that i should take higher because it would be easier to get a 5 in higher than in foundation because thats the highest grade u can get is a 5 so im gonna take higher with everything i can but i just dont know which board would be best for each topic .

I'll ask @PinkMobilePhone to offer advice on choosing an examiner for home learning English language, English literature, maths and combined science.

Pearson Edexcel would be good for Maths GCSE, lots of free resources around and it's the most common choice by schools.
(edited 1 year ago)
For Maths you can either take GCSE or IGCSE, it doesn't matter which. Cambridge IGCSE is notoriously known as the hardest. Edexcel IGCSE has two papers, both allow use of a calculator, but you do have to learn calculus which is not in GCSE Maths.

For English Language you want IGCSE rather than GCSE, to avoid the speaking component. Either Edexcel IGCSE Spec A, Edexcel IGCSE Spec B, or Cambridge are fine, it's really up to you.
We use Edexcel IGCSE Spec B personally, as it's a single paper and you don't need to study an anthology, which my kids prefer. (The exam is 3 hours long though).

For English Literature have a look through all the specs and see which is right for you. We went with Edexcel IGCSE, and my daughter studied Romeo & Juliet, An Inspector Calls, and Of Mice and Men, but there's plenty of choice.

For combined science you want IGCSE. Many home ed students do Edexcel IGCSE for science subjects. GCSE has practicals which are almost impossible for home ed kids to take.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)For Maths you can either take GCSE or IGCSE, it doesn't matter which. Cambridge IGCSE is notoriously known as the hardest. Edexcel IGCSE has two papers, both allow use of a calculator, but you do have to learn calculus which is not in GCSE Maths.

For English Language you want IGCSE rather than GCSE, to avoid the speaking component. Either Edexcel IGCSE Spec A, Edexcel IGCSE Spec B, or Cambridge are fine, it's really up to you.
We use Edexcel IGCSE Spec B personally, as it's a single paper and you don't need to study an anthology, which my kids prefer. (The exam is 3 hours long though).

For English Literature have a look through all the specs and see which is right for you. We went with Edexcel IGCSE, and my daughter studied Romeo & Juliet, An Inspector Calls, and Of Mice and Men, but there's plenty of choice.

For combined science you want IGCSE. Many home ed students do Edexcel IGCSE for science subjects. GCSE has practicals which are almost impossible for home ed kids to take.

thank you sooo much
Reply 15

nearly all colleges round me (manchester) only require 6 gsces grade 4 and above to do most subjects. if u wanted to do maths etc u would need a 7+ in it etc. some colleges you don’t even need to pass maths and english because u re sit them at the college. only taking core subjects is fine as long as you have six all together normally. depending on what u want to do it shouldnt really restrict you at all

Quick Reply

Latest