The Student Room Group

What are the best/worst part time jobs you've had?

Whether you're in sixth-form, at university, or anywhere beyond, I'm sure a lot of us have had part time jobs of some kind, if not several! They can be quite the experience in some cases, and very rewarding in others, and anywhere inbetween :work:

So, what have been your experience(s) so far? Have you had any jobs that have been exceptionally good or bad, and if so, what were they? :flip:
Sorry there's a rant coming up...

The first place I worked at was an outdoorwear/sportswear shop and I hated it. There was nothing to do all day and I worked 9-5 Sat and 10-4 Sun. They also asked me to work 5-8 on Tue after college (this was in Oct of my AS year so I'd just started college) even though I only got home at 5:15 so I was always half an hour late t my shifts. I asked them to slightly reduce my hours as I would leave the house at 7:30 Tue morning and come home at 8:30 and then would start cooking tea for my family before starting my work. I asked if I could just do weekends but they said "actually we're short-staffed so we need you to start working Thursdays as well". I quit the next week. I'd only been there for 5 weeks but they were awful.

I would do 8 hours on a saturday and only get a 15 minute break (pretty sure that's illegal right?). When I handed in my resignation letter, it was at the start of my evening shift so the manager and worker who finished at 5 were just ready to leave. I gave the manager my letter before she left (in a sealed envelope so she could open it at home) and she started the head out of the door. She then remembered something so went to the desk to speak to the assistant manager who would be on my shift with me (it's only 2 people who work on the 5-8 shift). She then said that she might as well open my letter while she's here. Cue the assistant manager and other worker (who for some reason hadn't left yet even though it was 5:40) nosying at my personal letter. I was on the other side of the shop as I hate confrontation. I looked over and the manager had burst into tears asking the assistant why they couldn't keep staff (maybe because you don't bloody listen to them!!) and the worker (who had only just started so I'd never actually met him) gave me evils! They both left me and the assistant manager alone to start our awkward shift together. She didn't talk to me until gone 7:00 as we had no customers so we both left each other to it. I was required to work my week's notice and finished the following Tuesday.

I've had one job between leaving there and starting at my current job (3 jobs in 1 year... ouch) and was terrified when I quit that one to start at my current place. Hopefully these people will be much more professional :crossedf:
I worked at sports direct for about 2 months when I was 18... In a nutshell, it was ****.
The next job I had was with a marketing company. It was hard work but it paid well, and you only worked when youre available to work so you dont have to commit around your studies. I met so many interesting and nice people through that job and was really sad when the company closed down!
Im now just about to have my first shift at a company for temp waiting staff and I'm terrified cos the online reviews of the company are awful, plus I dont have any previous waiting experience so I'll probably end up sloshing wine all over the customers :lol:
Reply 3
For the worst i'd say dishwasher, workin in fast food, adult movie actress,garbage girl and some farm work
Best ones, i'd say and Circulation clerk, night auditor
Wow, it sounds like some of you have had really bad experiences :lolwut:

Has anyone has an exceptionally good experience in any roles, or with any companies? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
In a cafe, which is very busy in the summer. I was 15 when I started, so obviously there were no rules regarding my pay. At first I was working 16 hours a week, then 20, then 24. Peak week in season I worked 9-4.30 Monday-Saturday. Went down to 12 hours a week when I returned to school. I worked there for 10 weeks and the boss told me not to come back after I told her I had just recieved my National Insurance number. I recieved £30 for my whole time there. I was paid in 50p pieces and £1 and £2 coins.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Queen G
In a cafe, which is very busy in the summer. I was 15 when I started, so obviously there were no rules regarding my pay. At first I was working 16 hours a week, then 20, then 24. Peak week in season I worked 9-4.30 Monday-Saturday. Went down to 12 hours a week when I returned to school. I worked there for 10 weeks and the boss told me not to come back after I told her I had just recieved my National Insurance number. I recieved £30 for my whole time there. I was paid in 50p pieces and £1 and £2 coins.

That's awful! There should be a national minimum wage for those under 16 to prevent things like that happening. I get paid £32.50 for each Saturday shift alone (and I work Sundays as well)
Original post by Queen G

That's crazy! Did you complain? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by shadowdweller
That's crazy! Did you complain? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah,but as I was told I was on work experience. Apparently I should be grateful for getting work experience in such difficult times.

EDIT: Should say I applied for a Saturday JOB,the boss always referred to it as work experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
I worked for a well known high Street fashion retailer (rather not name the company) as a basic Sales Assistant and then a Supervisor. Never again.

Met some lovely people but the job was awful. Constant 6am starts for visual merchandising, being scheduled for shifts they knew I couldn't do, impossible to book any time off and having to do all the heavy lifting as there weren't many guys in the department.

Oh and don't even get me started on Christmas. For 3 years I had to wake my mum up at the crack of dawn on Boxing Day to get her to drive me 200 miles, then immediately leave me and drive back home. Working three weeks straight without a day off, breaks cut, really rude customers, having to babysit uncooperative temps, working with an Assistant Store Manager stricter than the music teacher in the film Whiplash, I'd rather sign on Job Seekers Allowance than do that **** ever again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Wow, it sounds like some of you have had really bad experiences :lolwut:

Has anyone has an exceptionally good experience in any roles, or with any companies? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Circular clerk, definitively, i loves it
Original post by Ruth200
Circular clerk, definitively, i loves it

What is that, sorry? :colondollar:
Reply 12
What is that, sorry? :colondollar:

Sorry my mistake, i wanted to say " circulation clerk :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending