The Student Room Group

Tesco - work experience

I'm going round Tesco's on Tuesday for a look round with the personnel woman and my advisor from Agoriad and then we'll be discussing the details of my work experience. I'm doing 2 days a week for 15 weeks but I might up it once I'm more comfortable. I think I get to pick what section I work in.

Who works/has worked/has done work experience at Tesco? What's it like? What's the best part to work in?

Scroll to see replies

is this paid work experience?

why do you want work experience in tesco? Wouldnt something suited to your career plans be better?
Reply 2
It's not paid no, but my advisor says that if they like me they might offer me a job at the end like they did with the last guy he was an advisor for.

No-one will hire me because I've never worked before, twice I've been interviewed for pharmacy jobs and they've both been put off when I told them. I sent 11 letters out over 2 weeks ago to pharmacies and got 1 call back and the first thing he asked was have I worked in a shop before, so really I'm just in it for the experience.
Cy4nide
It's not paid no, but my advisor says that if they like me they might offer me a job at the end like they did with the last guy he was an advisor for.

No-one will hire me because I've never worked before, twice I've been interviewed for pharmacy jobs and they've both been put off when I told them. I sent 11 letters out over 2 weeks ago to pharmacies and got 1 call back and the first thing he asked was have I worked in a shop before, so really I'm just in it for the experience.

so how many hours/ how many weeks will you be working unpaid?
Wouldnt it be better to ask a pharmacy for work experience?
I'm assuming you're about 15/16 then?

My first job was with Tesco - I didn't have any prior experience but they don't hire until you have your GCSEs - I had good ones so they porbably counted in my favour. I also had a bit of experience of customer service and teamwork from being part of the school tuck shop.

You don't necessarily need work experience to get into Tesco, you just need to prove you'll be bright enough and you can demonstrate situations in which you've had to be helpful under pressure. Anymore questions about Tesco, just let me know - I spent 4 years working at the place through school and uni and it gave me some friends for life :smile:
Reply 5
eulerwaswrong
so how many hours/ how many weeks will you be working unpaid?
Wouldnt it be better to ask a pharmacy for work experience?

I don't know the hours yet, I just asked for a couple days a week because I didn't want to jump straight into something I've never done, just get into it slowly y'know.

Pharmacies were first on my list of places I wanted to go and supermarket type stores were second but he said it was really difficult to get pharmacies to take work experience people on.

EssexDan86
I'm assuming you're about 15/16 then?

My first job was with Tesco - I didn't have any prior experience but they don't hire until you have your GCSEs - I had good ones so they porbably counted in my favour. I also had a bit of experience of customer service and teamwork from being part of the school tuck shop.

You don't necessarily need work experience to get into Tesco, you just need to prove you'll be bright enough and you can demonstrate situations in which you've had to be helpful under pressure. Anymore questions about Tesco, just let me know - I spent 4 years working at the place through school and uni and it gave me some friends for life :smile:

Embarassingly enough I'm actually 20 ;laugh;

I did a year of college after sixth form and never worked part time or weekends like everyone else. Doctor said I had social anxiety and coupled with very low self confidence I never did anything by myself through fear of doing it wrong, sorry for the life story ;laugh;

You sound like you enjoyed it there though, what part did you work in and what did you do?
well - i wouldnt bother doing work epxerience with a super market - make them pay you!!! lol
I got a job in somerfield when i was 15 paying £5.35 an hour. No GCSEs - nothing. And ive worked there since about a year an a half now.
I know lots of people who have gone to pharmicies for 1 week work experience through school. And i know one person who is 19 who works in a pharmacy on a saturday morning.
Cy4nide

Embarassingly enough I'm actually 20 ;laugh;

I did a year of college after sixth form and never worked part time or weekends like everyone else. Doctor said I had social anxiety and coupled with very low self confidence I never did anything by myself through fear of doing it wrong, sorry for the life story ;laugh;

You sound like you enjoyed it there though, what part did you work in and what did you do?

Oh right, sorry! Although that'll no doubt mean you'll have plenty more scenarios in which you've gained some sort of meaningful experience than I had at 16.

Surprisingly I actually did enjoy my time there - the work was easy enough and I got on well with lots of the people there (although you certainly learn to dislike customers!). I was on the checkouts and eventually moved to the kiosk, doing cigarettes and lottery. The best thing was being able to transfer to a nearby store when I went to uni, and then carry on working back at home in the holidays, so I was never short for a few quid.

Not sure how relevant my experiences would be for the pharmacy though, but I've seen young girls for 17 or so working there who can't have any sort of prior professional experience so there must be a way in for somebody like yourself.
Reply 8
eulerwaswrong
well - i wouldnt bother doing work epxerience with a super market - make them pay you!!! lol
I got a job in somerfield when i was 15 paying £5.35 an hour. No GCSEs - nothing. And ive worked there since about a year an a half now.
I know lots of people who have gone to pharmicies for 1 week work experience through school. And i know one person who is 19 who works in a pharmacy on a saturday morning.

I applied at the same Tesco when it first opened but I got a rejection letter but now they'll take me, its weird! lol

Has the person who works on a Saturday ever worked before?
Reply 9
i currently work at tesco and i'm 17 almost 18 now....i work on checkouts...
i started when i was 16, i had just started college after GCSEs...i had no previous experience with any companies or employers..

your better off just applying for a proper job there, i only do one saturday a week so it fit's in with college work! and when i move to uni i can transfer my job to another tesco store. I get all benefits that tesco employees receive even though i only work on saturday! which is good! I get £5 an hour currently but it this will increase when i'm 18. All I had to do was fill in an application form with a set of multiple choice questions which you had to pass on, then you attended an interview and they'd ask you a set of questions basically about common sence, what you'd do in a difficult situation and if you work well in a team...

i wouldn't bother with unpaid work experience when you could easily get a paying job there!

what about work experience in a pub? washing up? or in a resturant?...they'll take people with no previous work experience. Also building labourers and farm helpers...
there are plenty of paying jobs out there which will take you on...

+ oh and i applied three times for a supermarket job before i actually got one!....you've just gotta keep trying
Reply 10
EssexDan86
Oh right, sorry! Although that'll no doubt mean you'll have plenty more scenarios in which you've gained some sort of meaningful experience than I had at 16.

Surprisingly I actually did enjoy my time there - the work was easy enough and I got on well with lots of the people there (although you certainly learn to dislike customers!). I was on the checkouts and eventually moved to the kiosk, doing cigarettes and lottery. The best thing was being able to transfer to a nearby store when I went to uni, and then carry on working back at home in the holidays, so I was never short for a few quid.

Not sure how relevant my experiences would be for the pharmacy though, but I've seen young girls for 17 or so working there who can't have any sort of prior professional experience so there must be a way in for somebody like yourself.

No worries :smile: I get it a lot

Apparently I'm not allowed to be on tills, I'm not sure why, but that's what I would've picked because I can imagine I'd pick up how to work them quickly via my love of electronics lol!

My Mum always says you've got to be in work to get work, so hopefully after I've had this work experience (my last work experience was year 10!) places will be more likely to hire me.
Cy4nide

Apparently I'm not allowed to be on tills, I'm not sure why, but that's what I would've picked because I can imagine I'd pick up how to work them quickly via my love of electronics lol!

why wouldn't you be allowed on the tills? i can't believe that :eek:, its an easy enough job...
i started my job on tills at tesco when i was 16, with no previous experience or anything...
Reply 12
dairynuts
i currently work at tesco and i'm 17 almost 18 now....i work on checkouts...
i started when i was 16, i had just started college after GCSEs...i had no previous experience with any companies or employers..

your better off just applying for a proper job there, i only do one saturday a week so it fit's in with college work! and when i move to uni i can transfer my job to another tesco store. I get all benefits that tesco employees receive even though i only work on saturday! which is good! I get £5 an hour currently but it this will increase when i'm 18. All I had to do was fill in an application form with a set of multiple choice questions which you had to pass on, then you attended an interview and they'd ask you a set of questions basically about common sence, what you'd do in a difficult situation and if you work well in a team...

i wouldn't bother with unpaid work experience when you could easily get a paying job there!

what about work experience in a pub? washing up? or in a resturant?...they'll take people with no previous work experience. Also building labourers and farm helpers...
there are plenty of paying jobs out there which will take you on...

+ oh and i applied three times for a supermarket job before i actually got one!....you've just gotta keep trying

Did you apply 3 times for the same job or different ones? Sainsburys online application emailed me back rejecting me, saying I didn't have the right skills, after I spend half an hour answering all them questions lol!

I never really thought about pubs and restaraunts before, I think because the only thing that would benefit me in pharmacy would be getting used to people and maybe tills, whereas in supermarkets you've got the stock rotation aswell.
Reply 13
dairynuts
why wouldn't you be allowed on the tills? i can't believe that :eek:, its an easy enough job...
i started my job on tills at tesco when i was 16, with no previous experience or anything...

I've really no idea, he called me up on Tuesday and told me they'd accept me and he asked where I'd like to be placed. I asked can I do tills and he said no lol
Cy4nide
I've really no idea, he called me up on Tuesday and told me they'd accept me and he asked where I'd like to be placed. I asked can I do tills and he said no lol

oh that maybe because they havn't got any vacancies on the tills.....not that your not allowed...
Cy4nide
Did you apply 3 times for the same job or different ones? Sainsburys online application emailed me back rejecting me, saying I didn't have the right skills, after I spend half an hour answering all them questions lol!

I never really thought about pubs and restaraunts before, I think because the only thing that would benefit me in pharmacy would be getting used to people and maybe tills, whereas in supermarkets you've got the stock rotation aswell.

no i applied for different jobs, all in the same tesco store though...
one was for Deli, but glad i didn't get that job as i didn't like it much!
and the other two were for checkout jobs...
the applications probably different for Sainsburys...i'm not sure...
you don't have to do an online application for a job at Tesco, you just have to look for jobs available on the notice board and then get a form from customer services to fill in...
i wouldn't reject pub/restaurant work, its all work experience and money. It will definatly help your social skills and you could meet new contacts while your there to set you up with a pharmacy job....you meet loads of people working in a pub/restaurant...all you need to do is say your looking for work experience when someone orders a drink and you'll prob have loads of offers!
WTFH WHY would you do work experience at tesco's. there using you they could eassily give you a job. free labour i call it.
Reply 17
daniel250121
WTFH WHY would you do work experience at tesco's. there using you they could eassily give you a job. free labour i call it.

That's true, a part of me is just thinking "I'll be doing it for free, no wonder they want me" lol
I worked on checkouts in tesco, for six months, some bits about it are good (some of the people and the money) but in general i didn't really like it, extremely boring, favoritism and being spoken down to by 60 odd year olds that have worked on checkouts all their lives. rant over. But a lot of that stuff is just for my particular store. i wouldn'd work there for free tho.
Don't do unpaid work experience at a supermarket. Just, no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending