The Student Room Group

Chose *****y A Levels and now i'm stuck.

I take English, Economics, Geography and Critical Thinking (I know the last one doesn't really count but our school makes us do it) for A Levels. I want to do the social science type subjects, or Economics but I don't have the right subjects for it. My parents have said that if I don't go to uni next year, they won't pay for it anytime afterwards so I need to apply this year. It's getting so late and I don't know what to take - I'm not a fan of the humanities subjects but I feel like that's all I can do. Any subject suggestions? Ideally I'd like to go to a top 7 uni (after Oxbridge) and preferably somewhere in London.
I would say they're decent A levels (apart from critical thinking obvs!).

You could do social sciences like sociology, psychology, anthropology, or politics couldn't you? UCL even has a "social sciences" degree with no specific subjects required. Economics might be tricky as top universities tend to ask for maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abcdeffy
I take English, Economics, Geography and Critical Thinking (I know the last one doesn't really count but our school makes us do it) for A Levels. I want to do the social science type subjects, or Economics but I don't have the right subjects for it. My parents have said that if I don't go to uni next year, they won't pay for it anytime afterwards so I need to apply this year. It's getting so late and I don't know what to take - I'm not a fan of the humanities subjects but I feel like that's all I can do. Any subject suggestions? Ideally I'd like to go to a top 7 uni (after Oxbridge) and preferably somewhere in London.

You don't need sociology A level to study social sciences at degree - and while critical thinking isn't usually included in any university offers the content is great preparation for social science degrees.

Some Economics courses will accept applicants without A level or AS level maths - or will have lower entry requirements for combined/joint honours courses (like http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/political-economy-ba-bsc.aspx for example)
Original post by PQ
You don't need sociology A level to study social sciences at degree - and while critical thinking isn't usually included in any university offers the content is great preparation for social science degrees.

Some Economics courses will accept applicants without A level or AS level maths - or will have lower entry requirements for combined/joint honours courses (like http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/political-economy-ba-bsc.aspx for example)

Another suggestion would be PPE, which is pretty respected
For a lot of degrees such as social sciences, there aren't specific subject requirements. By the sounds of it, you really want to go to a Russel Group.
When applying to RG universities, making sure you have facilitating subjects is what tends you keep your options open. Given that English and Geography are both facilitating subjects, you are in a good position to apply to a range of courses so I wouldn't be too concerned about your subject choices personally.
there are many universities that do not require a level maths for economics. your choice would be severley restricted but look into Lancaster, Loughborough, Kent, Royal Holloway and Swansea. From memory I believe these do not require A level Maths. In London look at Kings and Queen Mary to see if these require Maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending