The Student Room Group

Uni's and retakes

probaly been asked before but i searched it and couldn't find it.

Basically ive just completed my A-levels and am about to do a National Diploma (BTEC) in Business. I can easily get DDD in it so that's not the problem, however i didn't so amazingly well in my Maths at A-level mainly due to being lazy :wink:.
I was hoping for A in Normal and C in Further but came out with a B and a D. But i did get a couple U's in the further maths modules basically what i want to know is if i retake the relevant modules to bring my grades up to AA in maths this year then apply for uni next year will the uni's know that i have retaken a few of the modules?

Also how do the Uni's treat BTEC's like because im hoping to read Maths at a top uni and apparently the BTEC's are worth 3 A-levels, but do they look at it as more of one subject or will it really boost my chances of getting into a good uni? I would have a UCAS score of 5 A's after i finish it.

Cheers

EDIT: Im also doing AEA and the STEPS this year so when i apply i would have finished both Maths a-levels and have completed the STEPS and AEA
Reply 1
You'll need to check out some uni prospectuses, or email them, to see how they view BTECs. A lot of unis will accept them, but I don't think the very best ones do.

They will be able to tell you've resat something from your education dates. You'll put when you studied at that college, and they'll see that you've spent more than the normal amount of time there. And you won't have any qualifications that you say you've taken this year.
Unis will know you've resat because even though you've finished your A-levels, your grades for both will have to go as pending on your UCAS form, but most unis don't really have a problem with resits as you get the grades they ask for in the end. I seriously doubt a top uni will accept a BTEC. A lot of unis do accept them, but it tends to be the lower ranked ones. It will probably be considered as a bonus, but it won't be considered as equal to AAA at A-level. Did you do any other A-levels as well as the 2 maths ones, and if so, what did you get in them? STEP and AEA will definitely help.
Reply 3
ok . . . I need a hand in deciding what to put as my backup choice. I have just finished my A levels and got ABB but was only 4 marks away from AAB. I sent my paper off for remark but it didnt change so UCL said I would have to reapply next year. Which is fair enough so I am retaking in January and focusing on getting AAA!! However . . . I need a backup this time and I havent a clue what to put. Because I know I would enjoy a course like biology or biochemistry however I really want to go into the healthcare after so what am I to do????? I can't afford to do graduate entry medicine!!! ANY IDEAS ANYONE?????
Reply 4
Do uni's find out about January retakes? Are they frowned at?
January retakes - yes, unis find out about them, or at least guess, unless your school's policy is to decline all AS grades, because you apply to university before you get the results for the resits. As for whether they're frowned upon, it depends on the university, but as long as it's not ALL of the AS modules, I'm sure they don't mind too much. Most people do retakes these days.

xx

Latest

Trending

Trending