The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

the 2 British girls in the first 100m pre program race

1st and 2nd with both personal bests.........

its going to be a good night, i can feel it
The thing about BBC is that you hardly see the field events

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 982
Original post by Jamiesonn

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, mens' high jump and womens' long jump deserve better coverage.
I actually predicted 9.90 (Bolt) and 10.06 (Gemili) earlier on :eek: Wish I said something. I would've looked like a psychic lol
Gemili should've gone sub 10 today, shame he stumbled at the beginning
Original post by niceguy95
Gemili should've gone sub 10 today, shame he stumbled at the beginning

I dunno about "should". He "could" have I think with a better start. He had a massive SB so I imagine he'd be happy with a really good run! He's got years ahead of him to go sub-10 so there's no rush really.
Reply 986
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
Hmmm think Merritt is a way off the WR yet! I think men's high jump is where it could go. Really wanna see Lavillenie in the PV because he had such a disappointing champs despite having such a great build up!
Well.....might be pushing it, but I guess we'll see tonight! Sounds about right I think, I'd be conservative and go 9.79. Yeah, while it is exciting, you'd think it'd be better to gently edge it up towards that WR rather than a 6cm increase at the end? He looks unbeatable. I feel so sorry for Barshim, because he's gotten so much better this season and is totally in Bondarenko's shadow.
Hmmm I'm gonna say fast because it's a diamond league and I'm assuming they're gonna use pacemakers....but it's whether they go with the pace or not I guess...What do you think?

Oh I meant Tamgho :tongue: yea, real shame about Lavillenie!

Haha I always get so hopeful..its so hard to predict what kind of form he's in. You know, I've started to notice what I think his problem is, his pickup has really worsened over the last season, he just isn't as good from 20-50 as he has been. Nevertheless his last 20 continues to be better than anyone elses. 9.90 was disappointing though. I really hope Blake pushes him next season as that's looking to be the only way we'll see Bolt back to his best.

So true, Barshim shone in the early part of the season, but then Bondarenko took over the stage. I don't know why he retired tonight! But saying that, he went up by 13cm :eek:

I was going to say fast and favour Dibaba; I think Defar has a better kick than Dibaba. The only way I think Dibaba can beat Defar over 5 is if it is lightning quick, to run out the finish from Defar. Great race though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true, I really wanted to see more of the High Jump! Way too much time on interviews -.-
On 24th September 1988 at the Seoul Olympics I crossed the line in the men’s 100m final in 9.79 seconds, making me Olympic champion and world record holder. I’d finally realised my lifetime dream.
Twenty-four hours later, I tested positive for Performance Enhancing Drugs. My title was taken away; the gold medal, the world record gone. My career was left in ruins and I was worldwide news again; but for all the wrong reasons.
I’m still living with the bad choices I made. I was a drugs cheat and I only have myself to blame. I put chemicals inside my body without fully appreciating what it might do.
It ruined my career
It ruined my reputation
It ruined my life
It also may have caused me some physical harm.
Fast forward 25 years and athletes are still testing positive week after week still making the same mistakes I made.
#ChooseTheRightTrack
So, on the 25th anniversary of my greatest and also my worst moment in history, I’m on a mission for change. Athletes’ perceptions need to change. The system needs to change. Sport needs to change before it’s too late.
‘Choose The Right Track’ is an initiative by sports company SKINS to eradicate doping from sport. They recently commissioned a survey on people’s attitudes towards doping and its effect on sport you can see my answers and complete the survey yourself here. Drugs are still prevalent and not enough is being done to change that. Dopers should be punished, no doubt, but athletes also need better education and support a place to turn for advice to help them make the right choices.
The world tour which I am spending the next month of my life supporting, will raise awareness of the state of drugs in sport, challenge the system to be improved, and encourage young athletes to Choose The Right Track.
I can’t do it on my own. I need your help to be heard.
Please sign our petition to support drug-free sport and rally the IOC to make a positive change to the system. Please help us clean sport up for good.
25 years is long enough.
Ben
PS - It’s important that you understand this is an initiative I am supporting because I believe in my heart it is the right thing to do and the right time to do it. I am not being paid for my involvement and you can click here to see my contract to prove it.
- See more at: http://puresport.skins.net/news/an-open-letter-from-ben-johnson#sthash.UsZWbTRA.dpuf

This is an open letter from Ben Johnson about Skins' new anti-doping campaign (http://puresport.skins.net/news/an-open-letter-from-ben-johnson). Seems like a positive step forwards in the sport that one of the most notorious drugs cheats has come out and said "it's not worth it". He does an interesting interview on BBC sportsday however where he explains why he doped. I don't think he tries to vindicate himself, but at the same time I don't think we should "forget" what he did like he said. I can't help but feel that however sorry he is, he ruined his career by doping and nothing will ever change that.
He also says that he could have beaten Usain Bolt because Bolt doesn't have his "power"! This is forgetting Usain Bolt has absolutely eclipsed the 9.79 (doped) time of Johnson in '88. I think it's quite an interesting watch though. Here's the interview: [video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23896954[/video]
Any thoughts on what's been said and done?
His argument was that the training technology, quality of track surface and spikes weren't as good back then
Did Carl Lewis ever get caught taking something? I don't even know the real story. All I remember is watching a hyped up documentary about it. And didn't Carl Lewis accuse Bolt of being on something in Daegu? Remember Bolt in an interview saying he'd lost all respect for Lewis
Original post by TooEasy123
Did Carl Lewis ever get caught taking something? I don't even know the real story. All I remember is watching a hyped up documentary about it. And didn't Carl Lewis accuse Bolt of being on something in Daegu? Remember Bolt in an interview saying he'd lost all respect for Lewis

Think Lewis tested positive 3 times for stimulants in 1988 but the US covered it up. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on more stuff though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think Lewis tested positive 3 times for stimulants in 1988 but the US covered it up. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on more stuff though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's what I heard too. Apparently they were all on it, including Linford Christie lol
Original post by TooEasy123
Yeah, that's what I heard too. Apparently they were all on it, including Linford Christie lol

Apparently 6 in that '88 final tested positive for banned substances. Ben Johnson tested positive in '88, '93, and '99. Apparently Carl Lewis tested positive at a US trials that was kept hush hush by USATF.
Here's the Ben Johson vid I was thinking of

"so if I was runnin this day, in this time, you're talkin about a 9.3"

lol
Omg. I never knew there was an athletics thread. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erniiee
Oh I meant Tamgho :tongue: yea, real shame about Lavillenie!

Haha I always get so hopeful..its so hard to predict what kind of form he's in. You know, I've started to notice what I think his problem is, his pickup has really worsened over the last season, he just isn't as good from 20-50 as he has been. Nevertheless his last 20 continues to be better than anyone elses. 9.90 was disappointing though. I really hope Blake pushes him next season as that's looking to be the only way we'll see Bolt back to his best.

So true, Barshim shone in the early part of the season, but then Bondarenko took over the stage. I don't know why he retired tonight! But saying that, he went up by 13cm :eek:

I was going to say fast and favour Dibaba; I think Defar has a better kick than Dibaba. The only way I think Dibaba can beat Defar over 5 is if it is lightning quick, to run out the finish from Defar. Great race though!

So true, I really wanted to see more of the High Jump! Way too much time on interviews -.-

Sorry, been working and getting ready to go back to uni man! Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's like his transition from driving out of the blocks into acceleration that almost doesn't happen. He used to hit sort of 30m and begin to increase his cadence and move away from the rest of the field. This season he's kind of not done that in the same effortless way...not really what that's down to though. It is disappointing in that we know what he's capable of. Yes, definitely looking forwards to seeing Blake back! Can't wait for next season.
Defar has a great kick yeah! I agree with you on that, she'd have to run really aggressively.
You seen the european athlete of the year shortlists? Think I'm gonna vote for Mo and Aregawi (although Hejnova is a strong contender and tempted to vote Chrissy out of British pride).
Reply 996
Sorry, been working and getting ready to go back to uni man! Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's like his transition from driving out of the blocks into acceleration that almost doesn't happen. He used to hit sort of 30m and begin to increase his cadence and move away from the rest of the field. This season he's kind of not done that in the same effortless way...not really what that's down to though. It is disappointing in that we know what he's capable of. Yes, definitely looking forwards to seeing Blake back! Can't wait for next season.
Defar has a great kick yeah! I agree with you on that, she'd have to run really aggressively.
You seen the european athlete of the year shortlists? Think I'm gonna vote for Mo and Aregawi (although Hejnova is a strong contender and tempted to vote Chrissy out of British pride).

Its alright bro. I am buzzing for freshers!

Yea he's really had to work for it this year, reminds me of 2011. Next season should be good, despite it being an "off year"

I saw the female ones - I was thinking CO or Perkovic. I wish Aregawi had a few more of her quick races this season, I think she has the potential to run really quickly. She has shown she can deliver though!

Definitely Mo for the male!
Original post by erniiee
Its alright bro. I am buzzing for freshers!

Yea he's really had to work for it this year, reminds me of 2011. Next season should be good, despite it being an "off year"

I saw the female ones - I was thinking CO or Perkovic. I wish Aregawi had a few more of her quick races this season, I think she has the potential to run really quickly. She has shown she can deliver though!

Definitely Mo for the male!

Haha when are you off? Think I'm more excited for freshers this year than last year! haha!
He has, but you seen his latest interview? He says that because there's not "major" championships (aside from the commonwealths obvs) he's looking to attack records. You applying for commonwealth tickets?
She does have the potential, but she's just won race after race this year. Perkovic has also been very consistent too!
Haha, will be gutted if he doesn't win.
Why has gemili been replaced by chris Clarke

Why not Ellington?
Reply 999
Haha when are you off? Think I'm more excited for freshers this year than last year! haha!
He has, but you seen his latest interview? He says that because there's not "major" championships (aside from the commonwealths obvs) he's looking to attack records. You applying for commonwealth tickets?
She does have the potential, but she's just won race after race this year. Perkovic has also been very consistent too!
Haha, will be gutted if he doesn't win.

21st! Haha, you gonna prey on all them freshers gyals :wink:

Yea thats quite exciting! His last off season was poor so lets hope this is a lot better. I considered it, but CBA to travel all the way to Glasgow aha - have you?

True! Perkovic has ruled, real shame about her loss in Zagreb!

Oh I can't wait for Brussels tomorrow, I reckon it'll top Zurich!

Quick Reply

Latest