The Student Room Group

Can you get good at martial arts when you’re not the athletic type?

Hi there,

I want to take up Muay Thai to improve my confidence, make new friends, be fit and healthy, improve hand-eye coordination and learn some self-defence. However, I’m worried that I’ll embarrass myself in a group session as I don’t have a good history in terms of PE, which I sucked at and was in a super competitive and hostile form group. It’s years later and I plan on working out again (after a year) and practicing a little Muay Thai via YouTube videos too. However, I’m wondering if anyone else wasn’t really the strongest in terms of sports but really enjoyed martial arts and got really good. I know that everyone needs to start somewhere, and I really want to improve my practical skills, but I’m so nervous of training in front of others. Does anyone else relate? The martial arts gym I’ve looked at seems very friendly and chill af. I just don’t want my nerves to stop me from doing something that would benefit me in so many ways. However, PE in school really ruined my confidence and I don’t want to worry about embarrassing myself in front of others.

Also, I had a teacher in school who was a second dan black belt in karate and she said she wasn’t good at PE when she was in school too, and was embarrassed about that. I feel like team sports are very different from training a martial art; so maybe I’ll be fine
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by burberry_butter
Hi there,

I want to take up Muay Thai to improve my confidence, make new friends, be fit and healthy, improve hand-eye coordination and learn some self-defence. However, I’m worried that I’ll embarrass myself in a group session as I don’t have a good history in terms of PE, which I sucked at and was in a super competitive and hostile form group. It’s years later and I plan on working out again (after a year) and practicing a little Muay Thai via YouTube videos too. However, I’m wondering if anyone else wasn’t really the strongest in terms of sports but really enjoyed martial arts and got really good. I know that everyone needs to start somewhere, and I really want to improve my practical skills, but I’m so nervous of training in front of others. Does anyone else relate? The martial arts gym I’ve looked at seems very friendly and chill af. I just don’t want my nerves to stop me from doing something that would benefit me in so many ways. However, PE in school really ruined my confidence and I don’t want to worry about embarrassing myself in front of others.

Also, I had a teacher in school who was a second dan black belt in karate and she said she wasn’t good at PE when she was in school too, and was embarrassed about that. I feel like team sports are very different from training a martial art; so maybe I’ll be fine

I can't think of any people that I know of, so I am resorting to celebrities.

Jackie Chan is generally considered a good martial artist by most people. What is lesser known are other martial artists and actors who he has been associated with in his younger days: Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. See their articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuen_Biao
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammo_Hung

At first glance, they wouldn't be considered the most "athletic" of types, however they are very much respected martial artists in their own rights. If anything, I would argue they are en par with Jackie Chan.

Likewise, if you look at figures such as Bruce Lee, you wouldn't expect a scrawny person would be one of the most famous martial artists in history. Yet, he is.

So yes, you can become good at martial arts despite your build. It will take more effort though and I do recommend putting on more muscle prior to doing so. Don't let this hold you back.

Interestingly though, martial arts also has a mental/mindset component to it. It's not just about techniques and strength. You also learn about discipline, determination, and stoicism (or at least you're supposed to). There's quite a bit of philosophy and how you think that goes into it. I think you would benefit from this despite what you thought of PE.
Hello :h:
Martial arts like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can be really good to build confidence, it's also really technical and skill based- which means it's accessible for people that may not be as naturally athletic. Training in itself will help you build physically for it too.
Some BJJ gyms have a really nice culture and welcoming community.
Hope that helps!
Hi there,

Hello! With the way martial arts classes are, you should be absolutely fine regardless of your athletic skill. If there is a skill that you need for martial arts and are not good at it, the instructor will have strategies to help you build that skill. I think martial arts is a great way to build confidence! Learning martial arts will also help you build functional strength and flexibility which will help you in your day-to-day life as well! Good luck! I hope you have the best time at whichever class you end up going to!
Reply 4
Hi there,

I recently started karate having never been particularly good at team sports at school and my club is the loveliest and most welcoming place (and I think it uses very different skills to classic school sports). It has literally all types of people from students to people who have retired and have mobility issues. I would say if you join a good club you will be able to learn and progress whether you learn quickly or not, and also a good club should NOT have a competitive atmosphere, you should be able to feel like you can learn from other club members rather than being intimidated by them 🙂 I was so apprehensive when I started cause like you I was worried about being judged, but even in my first session I felt really supported particularly by some of the dan grades, and everything was explained as I went along.
Original post by ims_m
I recently started karate having never been particularly good at team sports at school and my club is the loveliest and most welcoming place (and I think it uses very different skills to classic school sports). It has literally all types of people from students to people who have retired and have mobility issues. I would say if you join a good club you will be able to learn and progress whether you learn quickly or not, and also a good club should NOT have a competitive atmosphere, you should be able to feel like you can learn from other club members rather than being intimidated by them 🙂 I was so apprehensive when I started cause like you I was worried about being judged, but even in my first session I felt really supported particularly by some of the dan grades, and everything was explained as I went along.

Wow, thank you! This definitely gave me the push and motivation I was looking for!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Wow, thank you! This definitely gave me the push and motivation I was looking for!

Glad to hear it!!
Reply 7
Hi there,

Even though martial arts are physically demanding, anyone with decent fight iq and cardio can get pretty good. Just look at Sean Strickland for example, he's got nothing too flashy or special (talent-wise) but his indifference towards getting beat up and enough intelligence to use his resources no matter how limited he is. And like that he got to become a UFC champion
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
You become the athletic type when you train martial arts.
(edited 2 months ago)
Of course you can be good at martial arts if you aren't the athletic type. Roy Nelson was a pot belly UFC and Bellator star and he has a black belt in jiu jitsu under Renzo Gracie.

Quick Reply

Latest