The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

The average sports person at Loughborough University

Hi everyone! I am considering university at Loughborough but concerned about not getting the same experience that I would get somewhere like, for example, Durham as I would likely not make it onto the performance squads.
I play squash and have played at county standard as well as playing football and doing powerlifting with an interest for all sport s and I tend to be fairly decent at others that I try.
The question is whether I would be missing out on playing many squash matches at Loughborough as I would be ranked at like 10 rather than 1st to 3rd at any other University in the country? Are there still plenty of opportunities for athletes such as myself?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone! I am considering university at Loughborough but concerned about not getting the same experience that I would get somewhere like, for example, Durham as I would likely not make it onto the performance squads.
I play squash and have played at county standard as well as playing football and doing powerlifting with an interest for all sport s and I tend to be fairly decent at others that I try.
The question is whether I would be missing out on playing many squash matches at Loughborough as I would be ranked at like 10 rather than 1st to 3rd at any other University in the country? Are there still plenty of opportunities for athletes such as myself?

Hi there,

It is difficult to give advice on this as there are so many different factors to consider. For example, how many people trial, the quality of the cohort that year and how many spaces on the team are offered etc.

I wouldn't let the high quality of Loughborough sport put you off specially if you are playing to a decent level. I felt similar to yourself as I play netball and didn't think I would get into an AU team. I did get in and it has been amazing. The facilities for sport at Loughborough are amazing and I am sure you would enjoy if you do multiple sports. I would recommend taking a look at the Loughborough sport website for more insight.

Another option you have is IMS (hall sport) where you can play a variety of sports and represent your hall and play against others. This is great fun and the standard is still good.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please ask 🙂

Alex
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Can I still enjoy sports facilities at Loughborough if I don't play sports competitively. I enjoy lots of sports but only for fun, but I'm worried all the clubs and facilities will prioritise athletes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending