The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham university Medicine Elite Athlete route

I am interested in applying to Nottingham University for medicine this October and thinking to apply through the Elite Athlete route. I would like to ask if there is anyone else who has applied this way and would like to ask further questions like what level you played, when, and how you applied. Please let me know and I would really appreciate any response.
Original post by Anonymous
I am interested in applying to Nottingham University for medicine this October and thinking to apply through the Elite Athlete route. I would like to ask if there is anyone else who has applied this way and would like to ask further questions like what level you played, when, and how you applied. Please let me know and I would really appreciate any response.

Hi,
My daughter just applied normally through UCAS (this wasn't for medicine though) and then Notts admissions forwarded her application to elite sport to look at. They asked her some questions about grade predications, GCSEs etc... to check she would get on her course and of course some information about her sporting achievements.
She had mentioned her sport in her personal statement, so I think Notts admissions picked it up from there. There is an expression of interest form on the sports scholarship page though too. I think she did that as well.
She had been selected to compete for England U20s that summer, and was ranked in the top 5. Its higher now, but at the time of her UCAS application that was where she was at.
They then invited her after she'd had an offer to apply for a sports scholarship, not heard on that yet as the closing date was only Friday.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

wanna ask do you know what’s the criteria for qualifying for an elite athlete status?
wanna ask do you know what’s the criteria for qualifying for an elite athlete status?

There is some information on the sports scholarship page that might give you an idea.
However whilst my daughter got the Elite Athlete flag on her application and a reduced offer due to this, she has just found out that she did not get a sports scholarship. So the two do not always go hand in hand, but I would imagine the sports scholarship page would give you an idea of what they are looking for.
Reply 4
Can I ask how she applied and what process she had to get through to get the elite athlete flag please?
Can I ask how she applied and what process she had to get through to get the elite athlete flag please?

She didn't apply, the admissions department forwarded her UCAS application to the Sports development people. She had mentioned her sport in her personal statement. We were not aware of it until Nottingham contacted her after applying.
Reply 6
She didn't apply, the admissions department forwarded her UCAS application to the Sports development people. She had mentioned her sport in her personal statement. We were not aware of it until Nottingham contacted her after applying.

Ah ok. Thank you so much. Was she hoping to go through the elite athlete route? Also, did she get an interview?
Ah ok. Thank you so much. Was she hoping to go through the elite athlete route? Also, did she get an interview?

My daughter is a Sports Scholar at Nottingham. A good route is at an Open Day go to the DRSV and talk to the Sports Team. The coach for your daughter's sport may well be there and they can give an indication of what level is required to be considered, discuss training and what commitment the university would expect back in return e.g. regular attendance at training, playing in BUCS leagues every week, which for Medical students can prove difficult. It varies from sport to sport and if the sport is one of their priorities. For daughter she was at GB level going to European & World Champs.

As far as I remember for Medical students if they are a potential a Sports Scholar it can give them a guaranteed interview for Medicine but even with good known grades it does NOT mean an offer.

For key sports the coaches do like to engage with potential incoming scholars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending