The Student Room Group

Most relevant undergrad degree.

I'm planning on applying for a science degree this September and then after the three years, apply for graduate entrance medicine to Oxbridge, Imperial, etc...

I'm really curious what the best or most relevant degree would be to help me get into the graduate degree, as I hear it's VERY competitive. Also, would a first be almost necessary?

From what I gather, subjects like Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology are the most relevant? I would have thought Biomedicine.
Reply 1
At the risk of sounding like a broken record current-student on here, I don’t understand why people want to start a degree with the intention of doing medicine afterwards..?

- Fast track courses do seem to be much more competitive you’re un against people offering even more qualifications and experience: 1sts, phDs, medical researchers, people who have sustained volunteering over 3+years, people who have worked in healthcare etc etc…
- Fast track courses are going to work out more expensive especially if changes in the funding situation happen as Fluffy’s warned…
- Along with the expense it takes so much longer at least 3+4 rather than 5. & that’s assuming you get in immediately after & get onto a fast track course rather than go the grad on a standard course route (which many do).

Now my second attack of premise, ahem :redface: why look for the “most relevant”? I guess strictly speaking the most relevant is the most like preclinical medicine so something like Physiology at my university or Biomedical sciences elsewhere.

But… then what have you gained from your extra 2 years? If you’re going to do all the content again you don’t necessarily have the extra skillset/different angle that can be one of the positive things about grad entry students.
Secondly doing it again could be a bit dull ;-) & if you don’t do especially well when doing familiar things in a cohort of people who haven’t, potentially make you look a bit slow/lazy?

So I’d say check what the medical schools require for mine (Oxford) it’s “science degree” but there’s quite a range they’ll accept:
http://bmra.pharm.ox.ac.uk/FTQuals.html

Anatomy
Anatomy with Physiology
Astronomy*
Biochemistry
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biomedical Science
Biology
Botany
Chemistry*
Chemical Engineering*
Dentistry
Earth Sciences*
Engineering*
Experimental Psychology
Geology*
Human Biology
Human Genetics
Human Sciences
Immunology
Marine Biology
Medical Sciences
Molecular Biology
Molecular Genetics
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Neuroscience with Psychology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Experimental or Applied Physics
Physiology
Physiology with Philosophy
Physiology with Psychology
Plant Sciences
Experimental Psychology
Veterinary Pathogenesis
Veterinary Science
Virology
Zoology

Then go for something you think you’ll enjoy and do well in? If your'e not entirely convinced about medicine you might want to consider career prospects with that degree (subject & uni).

A first wouldn’t hurt, providing you perform in the other things they use too e.g UCAS forms/aptitude tests & interviews.

<anecdote>
Some of the fast-trackers on my course are a little scary academically - it seemed if you couldn’t remember where they’d come from assume it was NatSci at Cam, obviously got a 1st, did a phD/post-doc/taught medical students or had a glittering City career.
</anecdote>
Reply 2
<anecdote>
Some of the fast-trackers on my course are a little scary academically - it seemed if you couldn&#8217;t remember where they&#8217;d come from assume it was NatSci at Cam, obviously got a 1st, did a phD/post-doc/taught medical students or had a glittering City career.
</anecdote>

What do you mean? I'm doing graduate vet sci and have a PhD, worked in research etc. I'm a bit worried about being older but does this mean people might be a bit awkward/scared of me? Hope not....feel insecure enough as it is!
Reply 3
Thanks for your information Elles. The only concern I have is that I only have Arts A-levels and I do want to do medicine. I might look into the foundation programs. It's 6 years, but worth a shot! :smile:
Reply 4
J-Curve
The only concern I have is that I only have Arts A-levels and I do want to do medicine.

If you don&#8217;t have the science A levels for medicine (chemistry + biology/physics/maths) you wouldn't be able to get on to a "most relevant" course..?
Some research into degree options you have with your A2s & then degree/A2/aptitude test requirements for graduate entry to medical courses* v. foundation medicine courses available to you or doing the necessary AS/A2s in a GAP year is probably the way forward&#8230; :smile:

*the sting here is that some require sciences courses, of those that will accept any degree I think some do want AS/A2s in certain science subjects or they want you to sit an aptitude test that assumes knowledge of the content... so you might end up having to revise/do them at some point anyway.

pharmgirl

What do you mean?

I mean academically scary as in have very impressive pre-medicine CVs and have accomplished a lot... so comparatively it seems a much harder way into medicine (if that was what they'd wanted to do all along - which it doesn't seem to be) than it was for me at 18 after A2s!
Reply 5
Problem is that I'm already 21 and I haven't done a degree. I took a gap year after finishing my A-levels in 2006 and now I'll be taking another gap year (to do my work experience at a hospital here in Geneva and hopefully my army service. I'm unsure what the best entry to medicine is at the moment.
Reply 6
I wouldnt recommend doing a degree first- it certainly wasnt my intention to go into vet sci as a graduate, and I was happy with my first degree in Pharmacy. It was actually the time I spent as a scientist in research that made me figure out that vetting was where I wanted to be...with hindsite I'd much rather have done it the first time. If your A levels are good enough I suspect that the work exp will stand you in good stead without you having to do a degree and believe me, 21 is nothing.
Reply 7
It sounds very encouraging and I really am determined. The only problem is whether I should look into the foundation programs or not. If I chose to not do the foundation program, Chemistry will need to be a dead cert to take up.

What Med schools do you suggest I look into? I think at the moment, KCL is probably my first choice.
Reply 8
Also, is Chemistry a good undergraduate degree to if I do decide to go into Medicine later on?

Latest

Trending

Trending