The Student Room Group

Career

I have accepted an offer from University of Liverpool for MSc Finance. I am an international fresher student with no prior work experience. I know University of liverpool is not a target school, so is it not possible to get an investment banking job?
Reply 1
Depends - if your undergrad was something like maths at MIT or computing at a leading then sure - you'd have a chance.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Depends - if your undergrad was something like maths at MIT or computing at a leading then sure - you'd have a chance.

I did Bachelors of Business Administration as undergrad. So if not Investment Banking what are my options and how should I go about it?
Reply 3
Original post by Amrut.S
I did Bachelors of Business Administration as undergrad. So if not Investment Banking what are my options and how should I go about it?

Getting visas to work in the U.K. is tough - it’s best to ask in countries where you have the right to work or an easy passage to getting a working visa.
Original post by Amrut.S

Strictly speaking, having a degree in business doesn't mean you have to go into investment banking.

I don't know which country you intend to work in, but a degree in anything can often get you far since most companies in a number of countries don't care what subject you did your undergrad in (the exceptions are for those that require the degree to have specific content to meet regulatory requirements e.g. medicine degrees for doctor roles, accounting for some CPA/CMA roles and definitely not all, some countries for engineering, teaching).

For example, there have been people who have degrees in art and English literature who got into investment banking, as well as people who got degrees in history doing accounting in some countries. If you wanted, you could have done a degree in philosophy and go into politics, marketing, journalism, real estate.

I don't know what your aspirations are, but investment banking isn't the only destination. If money is your only source of motivation, then you would struggle anyway. People who go into investment banking go into it not just for the money.

The options for your degree should include any job that accept any degree, including:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you want more ideas, I would need to know about your background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending