The Student Room Group

Journey to the Awakening of the Rinnegan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobJ93
Those are some powerlifting rest periods. in.

lol i don't buy this low rest training approach except on certain volume work on compound movements or isolation. The natural lifter must consider intensity, volume and rest time when tracking progression in my view :smile:

P.S. I give myself up to 15 mins rest between sets if needed, so look out for that in future sessions :colone:
Original post by UchihaMadara
lol i don't buy this low rest training approach except on certain volume work on compound movements or isolation. The natural lifter must consider intensity, volume and rest time when tracking progression in my view :smile:

P.S. I give myself up to 15 mins rest between sets if needed, so look out for that in future sessions :colone:

I could probably fit naps between my heavy deadlift sets
Original post by RobJ93
I could probably fit naps between my heavy deadlift sets

those are resting goals lol
Week 4 Workout 3/3

Paused Bench: 80-1,87.5-2 (10), 1 (10) and 90-1 (10), drop sets of 80-3,70-4,60-5
Arnold press: 10-5x10 (30)
Face pulls, flies and 1x10 of hammer curls lolz

As mentioned before that I split the third workout into an upper and lower session. Benched in the squat rack, definitely feels better, didn't get as tight as I would like until on my second set on 87.5 and 90 - lack of energy probably from the 5 hours sleep. Either way, the 87.5 second rep was the biggest grind ever, singles after were comfy, 90-1 is a PB. Whether its due to clothing, equipment change, or lack of energy due to sleep I've decided to lower the no. on the excel spreadsheet of my '1rm' from 100 to 97.5, my next session will require me to go for 87.5-2x2 which I reckon I can get :smile: Not a real man until you bench 2 plates...hopefully reach manhood soon :colone: On the drop sets, 80 felt ridiculously light, I hit the unrack pins so didn't risk more reps and after I just didn't have the energy to do rep marathons lol like Mike Rashid/Eric Spoto.
(edited 7 years ago)
Week 5 Workout 1/3

Squats: 120-5x5 (8)
PausedBench:87.5-2,1 (10) drop set 80-1 and 60-5 2 count

Trained at home so had to forget accessories and get ready for my coach back to uni.

Squats probably felt the best at any point during the programme, feels like I know my form and speed was really good, reckon I could of got 10x5 lol. Bench second rep on 87.5 was a mess as my home gym floor isn't completely straight so I ended up with a bar largely shifted to the right at the bottom of the lift, still managed to lock it out and it was quicker than last session but I had to play it conservatively for the next set - plus my left pec felt stretched af. I already know the modifications I will be making to the programme, I will create an excel sheet at the end of the cycle (not too long now). Next session on Monday :smile: P.S. been sleeping less, so I reckon theres more in the tank :colone:
(edited 7 years ago)
Good squatting
Reply 26
Smashed it, all kinds of volume gains :colone:
Nice; but 8minute breaks?

Ain't nobody got time for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobJ93
Good squatting

safe g
Original post by Angry cucumber
Nice; but 8minute breaks?

Ain't nobody got time for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do lol :biggrin: although one could argue my ability to break away from Edo Tensei, perform Izanagi etc. that I do have unlimited time :colone:
Reply 30
Original post by UchihaMadara
I do lol :biggrin: although one could argue my ability to break away from Edo Tensei, perform Izanagi etc. that I do have unlimited time :colone:

:rofl:
Been very ill, still ill, my nose leaks that I'm now using my hand as a tissue as anything else is too rough :,) Was supposed to gym Monday...really I should of just waited till recovery but I can choose to be a pussy or a real man :colone: Plus I injected more senju cells :smile:

Week 5 Workout 2/3

Paused Bench:Warmed up to 80-1, 70-10,8,6 (3)
Deadlifts:152.5-3 (8) 140-4x2,1 (3)
Beltless Squats:80-3x4 (90 seconds)
Accessories

I was supposed to do 3x3 on Bench but for obvious reasons with frequency etc decided to add more reps. 70 felt really light, quite glad, hopefully @Angry cucumber approves the rest time. Deadlifts I started with 100kg and felt fine, maybe I don't need to do light warm-ups? My last warm-up set I felt like puking on 140 with the belt on. Did first rep of 152.5 beltless but then put the belt and was fine. Being ill grip is the first thing to wane, I wouldn't say my lockouts were clean but considering how ill I am it wasn't bad at all. I was supposed to do 132.5-8x2 but felt I had 140. Unfortunately tore some skin and exposed the second layer despite liquid chalk being applied at the start of the session, gonna try heal this for when I next deadlift in 12 days, plus will apply chalk more frequently during the session. Either way when I did the first rep on the fifth set I could feel like I may tear the second layer below the pinky so called it a day. With squats I jumped straight to 80 as all racks were taken, wasn't that bad although I think my control wasn't there and ended up hitting extra depth - I did some squats as I didn't want to extend my squat days with me postponing this workout due to illness. The rest isn't important, next session Sunday and hopefully I'll feel better :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't tend to do much warming up for deads but I do them after squats so everything is pretty warm.
I tend to just go 60x5, 100x3, 140x2, (belt on) 180x1, working sets
Do you use overhand underhand grip?
Original post by RobJ93
I don't tend to do much warming up for deads but I do them after squats so everything is pretty warm.
I tend to just go 60x5, 100x3, 140x2, (belt on) 180x1, working sets
Do you use overhand underhand grip?

I use hook grip for my main set, although on my 8x3/2 I use straps for 6 of the sets typically. Put some vaseline last night, got this hand concentrated cream - hopefully it heals within 12 days or so. Gonna be applying liquid chalk more frequently during the session as well.

I think I might do less warm-ups towards my working sets in the future, feels like I save more energy and time i guess.
Week 5 Workout 3/3

Squats:20-2x6,60-3,90-1.120-1,130-2x3 (7),142.5-2x2 (12), 122.5-2x5 (7)
DumbellShrugs:17.5-20,22.5-15,30-10,40-12 w/ hook grip, 12.5-20 drop
Knee raises:3x20 and Plank for 90 seconds

Didn't session Sunday as I had deadlines and sleep was all over the place. Plus on Friday night I did some arms for 20 minutes with a friend who wanted a pump before linking a girl off tinder but it actually leads to doms so I wouldn't of been able to bench. Due to time constraints today and lack of chakra, decided to split the workout into a lower and upper workout which I will do hopefully later today. Squats overall went well, deciding to go quicker on my eccentric is making things easier surprisingly. I could of taken less rest tbh, especially with the 142.5 but I wanted to make sure I won the battle. Didn't need to use susanoo today but this battle was like the one against the shinobi alliance, had to stay calm and composed. The rest is self explanatory :colone:
Holy **** 10 and 12 minute rests...and I thought *I* was taking the piss a couple of years back when i was resting like 7 mins between sets trying desperately to increase my 5x5 incline bench PR lol!! :biggrin:

Also, its not really surprising that doing the eccentric quicker makes an exercise easier, one it gives you more a spring loaded stretch reflex at the bottom, and two, its decreasing the rep TUT so you're spending less time controlling the rep fatiguing your muscles and CNS when gravity is happy to do the work on the way down anyway lol. The fastest, least controlled eccentric you can get away with on any exercise always leads to the highest rep count you can get with a given weight (not that I by any means actually recommend that as a training practice however!).
Reply 36
Original post by In One Ear
X

Still ain't at Clarence's 15 minute breaks level yet :colone:

@UchihaMadara Mad squats brah, nice to read the 3 plates again!
Original post by In One Ear
Holy **** 10 and 12 minute rests...and I thought *I* was taking the piss a couple of years back when i was resting like 7 mins between sets trying desperately to increase my 5x5 incline bench PR lol!! :biggrin:

Also, its not really surprising that doing the eccentric quicker makes an exercise easier, one it gives you more a spring loaded stretch reflex at the bottom, and two, its decreasing the rep TUT so you're spending less time controlling the rep fatiguing your muscles and CNS when gravity is happy to do the work on the way down anyway lol. The fastest, least controlled eccentric you can get away with on any exercise always leads to the highest rep count you can get with a given weight (not that I by any means actually recommend that as a training practice however!).

LOOOOOOOL I'm actually intrigued, so what is your rest time....30-60 seconds?
Original post by Sae.HH
Still ain't at Clarence's 15 minute breaks level yet :colone:

@UchihaMadara Mad squats brah, nice to read the 3 plates again!

I will take around 15 hopefully next week, then on test day up to 20 if needed :colone: then back to 3-4 when new cycle begins :smile:

Y'all just looking at my rest time, mans hitting PBs una, extra rest is like steroids for the natural lifter :biggrin:
Week 5 Complete

Paused Bench:20-10,40-6,60-4,80-1,92.5-1 (10),80-5,5,4 (4)
Accessories, honestly not important.

Less I write the better I think, I guess I should start bolding my rest times :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest