The Student Room Group

Journey to the Awakening of the Rinnegan

Scroll to see replies

Week 6 Workout 0.5/3

Squats:125-6x4 (7)
SumoDls:60-2x8,90-1x3
KneeRaises:4x20

Been busy so had to gym on Sunday, will do upper workout tomorrow. Squats felt overall very good, had to use a different rack which meant a longer walk-out but nothing difficult. Tried out sumo with my shins on the rings, with the incentive more on the front part of the foot these felt pretty decent - plan to add these as an assistance to my conventional. Stopped on 90 as my skin started to get irritated and wanted them to be fresh for my main dl sesh.

When the rest time is up I think the lower/upper split works well and goes well with my uni life atm, although when I do start a cycle and the rest time is relatively low then I can do full-body workouts without hassle. I am learning towards possibly giving the Intermediate cycle a go, Clutz says the biggest difference is in the volume but it is lower/upper so potentially could bode well....
Week 6 Workout 1/3

Bench:20-2x6,40-4,60-3,80-1,80-5x5 (6,6,6,7,8)
Face pulls and flies

Did the upper lifts for workout 1 today. Walked a lot during the day, less than 6 hours of sleep, my 80 for a single during my warm up was slower than I would of liked. Anyways, programme calls for 75-5x5 based on the 1RM Bench figure I've put but I felt I could get 80 5x5 which I did, made it tougher than it ought to be personally, had an issue getting tight today - probably lack of sleep and fatigue from yesterday, ever so tiny discomfort in the shoulders but I think it could be not doing face pulls before as the gym was packed at 6:30 or the narrower width I used yesterday during Squats. Not too long ago I did 80-4x5 (9) so I deem this as progress. Gym next either Friday or Saturday.
Week 6 Workout 2/3

Deadlifts:140-1,160-3x1 (first and last single w/ hook grip) (8), 140-2x6 beltless and 1x4 w/ belt (3)
Bench:70-2x5,60-1x5 (2)

I will comment about the week's lifts at the end of the week.
Are you bulking/cutting at the moment?
Original post by RobJ93
Are you bulking/cutting at the moment?

maintaining atm, probably towards the bulking side if anything. My diet is pretty bad now lol, I eat whatever I want but I do walk over an hour everyday so somewhat cardio for me.
Week 6 Workout 2.5/3

Back Squats:125-3 (6),137.5-3 (9), 150-2x1 (12), 125-2x4 (6)
PausedSumoDls:70-2x6 (2), 100-3 (2)

I will core tomorrow as I don't want it to interfere with Bench.
End of Week 6

Bench:80-3(3),87.5-2(8),92.5-1,1*(10),85-3x2(6)
Accessories: Standing Db Shoulder press, Db rows, Flys, Curls, Leg raises....

I'm will do light session with singles-triples only before I go for 1rm PBs next week. 1* above indicates my glutes came off the bench, slight misgrove and no spot so didn't risk it, should of just did 90 for a single after but o well. I have a picture of what I will do on testing day roughly, for Squats I will do 140-1, then go for 160-1, depending on the speed and feel I will either stop there or go for a number between 165-175. Bench as close as I may be to 2 plates I actually might not have it, today the double on 87.5 felt very good - felt I had a triple at least and just few weeks back I had the longest grind ever on a double on 87.5. My wrists got a bit of a battering so I want to probably throw in wrist wraps when I start the next cycle. Not sure about my attempts on the bench, atm thinking 87.5-1,95-1 then accessing if a 2 plate bench is possible, I want to PB so 95 is a safe bet I think. With deadlifts 160-1 then hopefully should get 180-1, after if I feel good then around 190-1...any input on attempts would be great :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I offer no guidance on your attempts, as im not sure, but good luck and looking forward to hear how it goes. Any chance of videos?
Original post by Gone Revising II
I offer no guidance on your attempts, as im not sure, but good luck and looking forward to hear how it goes. Any chance of videos?

I might have someone to video me on Thursday, I will do the attempts either on Thursday/Friday....most likely Friday as I will gym next on Monday probably. I will ask someone to video me in the gym.
Any opinions on doing a heavyish walkout (squats) 3-4 days before going for 1RM PBs?
Week 7 Workout 1/2

Squats:110-1,2,3,1
Bench:75-3,80-1
Dls:100-2

Only had 30 minutes for this workout, no rest pretty much. I would rack then unrack etc. Opted against doing walk-outs, 2 weeks before the testing it might of been worth a shout but not something to experiment with now. Dls were kind of slow lol, I think it was cuz I had like no rest, sweated more this workout than any of my workouts during the past few weeks :,)

Sore throat, seems like I'm mildly ill so taken a paracetamol, napped today, gonna hopefully be fine on Friday. By meet convention I will be going for:

Squats:140,160,TBC
Bench:87.5,95,TBC
Dls:160,180,TBC
Time to update

Had migraines last week Friday but that dissipated almost on Tuesday, although I woke up on Tuesday with a sore throat - decided to skip lectures so I could make a full recovery for the important examinable lectures on Wednesday however things go worse, stayed in bed until Thursday, Friday I was much better and knew I had to do my PB attempts then as delaying would risk detraining. I didn't sleep much (<6 hours) for the session which is my fault although I had stuff going around the night before.

In terms of the session, I was more after getting PBs, this was never going to mimic a meet

Squats:140-1,160-1 PB
Bench:87.5-1,95-f,90-1
Dls:160-1,180-f

As bad as I should feel, I'm not - I know the sleep, me being unwell really held me back. After my 160 squat a new migraine attack kicked in, still feeling it rn. I didn't bother going higher in the squats despite a person in the gym saying I should go for 170 next. Bench I had no energy to grind, the 87.5,90 were quick, so a speed PB lol? Deadlifts I really felt my migraines here, didn't get as much time as I would like to rest for the 180 attempt hence failed - got the weight off the ground but didn't have it that day to grind it out. I'm not fussed as it didn't feel 'heavy', even the 95 bench the unrack felt good - just my CNS etc. were blown up :,)

I'm going to look at the positives in terms of me being consistent despite the lowish frequency, I want to build on this now to something meaningful. I got ill a few times during the cycle so I need to be cautious about this, I'm at the moment leaning towards a Texas Methodsy approach, 4x frequency (Volume Lower, Volume Upper, Recovery, 5RM day) - I'm ready to up the frequency whilst lowering workload and time spent in the gym each workout. Video of 160 will be uploaded soon, I know there are technical errors, I leaned a bit forward in the hole - this is just because of poor frequency, this goes when I squat more frequently. Plus, my elbows were too high, need to fix that. I will try videoing more during this 'cycle'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Week 1 Workout 1

So I've decided to do a 2x a week Wendell 5/3/1 Powerlifting programme, rather than outlining the programme, I will just say the first session is a light/volume day where I will be doing an assistance movement for the Squat, Bench and Dl and the second session I do 5/3/1 (for powerlifting) for the main 3 with core work, flies etc. at the end. I was tempted to do Texas without the recovery day but decided to give this a shot as I prefer the periodization structure here.

Beltless Pause Squats:80-8x5 (2-5)
Close-Grip Pause Bench:60-8x6 (2-5)
Beltless Deficit Deadlifts:70-4x5 (2)

Hadn't squatted with that much volume beltless for a while, definitely good cardio there, next session will go for 87.5ish for 8x4. For Bench my close grip is with my pinkie on the rings, my normal is with my middle finger on the rings instead. Interestingly, Mike T did the same exact thing in his recent post on IG - I felt validated lol. Bench was quite easy, go up to 65ish for 8x5. Deadlifts at the end were fine, later sets were done with a thumbless grip so might actually stick with that. The next session will have some serious weight hopefully logged in.
A change of scenery, doing Bulgarian Method - based Greg Nuckols' Manual. It came down to the fact doing a lot on one day was far too exhausting for me, felt really tired the next day and I feel a better trade-off is do little everyday and plus it creates routine, I know when I will be having my showers, meals roughly etc. Also, I think this training method is quite rare and fun :smile:

Week 1 Workout 1

Squats:140-1 Daily Min, 145-1 Daily Max, 130-2 Drop Set
Hanging Knee raises:15

Under a hour and done :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Didn't gym yesterday, getting use to stuff.

Week 1 Workout 2

Bench:80-1 Daily Min, 90-1 Daily Max, 82.5-3 Drop set
SeatedShoulderPress:40-5
InclineFlies:2.5-2x20

Tried out wrist wraps for the first time, felt like it was helping me during my warm-ups on 60 and 80 - Daily Min. My 90 was a bit slower than I think I would of liked, not sure if its because I haven't benched anything over 60kg over almost 2 weeks or because of the wraps itself...I will presume the former. Wanted the session to last bit longer so tried out seated shoulder press for like the first time, then did some flies to stretch out them pecs. I will do Squats tomorrow for sure, not sure if I will Bench or Dl...I think I won't be following set guidelines on what movements to do on a particular day, instead just make sure I do the minimum quota of frequency for the main 3. Lastly, surely I'm gonna lose muscle mass on such a programme lol - where is the volume lol ?!
Yesterday's Workout

Week 1 Workout 3

Squats:140-1 DailyMin&Max, 120-3x2 Back-off sets
Bench:80-1 DailyMin&Max
Cheeky Curls

Doing 140 just a few days apart didn't feel so bad, having massive migraines the last few days so I will see if I can deadlifts today.
Week 1 Workout 4

DL:70-3,90-2,110-1 beltless,130-1,140-1,130-3x1 w/belt and hook grip, 110-3 beltless w/straps and 70-3 paused deficit stiff-legged

Ended up training yesterday for less than 30 minutes, decided to do a single at my daily min for squats and I'll progressively build this up, 145 next week. I will keep this structure in terms of singles and 3 reps for variation lifts. Dls actually felt good, might consider adding a dl movement on another day of the week if I can. Today I plan to squat and bench :smile:
Week 1 Workout 5

Beltless Squats:120-1 Daily Min&Max, 90-2 Back-off
Bench:80-2 Daily Min
I won't be working out today, will be adding paused squats to my dl day possibly o/w I think I will just stick to doing squats/bench minimum 3x a week which is itself a new concept for me. I'm hesitant about increasing bench frequency as I feel I will aggravate my pecs so I will leave it how it's been this week. I will increase frequency after exams, either way looks like I will be gymming 5x a week.
Whats your bench frequency now?

Quick Reply

Latest