The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Danny_777
*wins* :p:
ah, dang...
Hzz
I've recently been learning to play the guitar and I can quite comfortably now play the 5 basic chords and im interested in learning a song that I recognise. However, whenever I look up any songs that I like the chords involved are really hard, such as holding several strings down with one finger and streching your fingers over a stupid ammount of frets :mad:

Basically what Im wondering is does anybody know any recent-ish indie/rock tunes that involved basic chords and that is fairly simple to play?

Thanks in advance =)

Anything by Status-Quo :smile: ... ok, so not recent, but basic :biggrin:
mosesff
Try Powerchords, I found them easier than going through regular chord's to start off with, now i've got competant on Normal chords, Uhm Greenday is easy to play, I would get a guitar teacher.

Don't go for powerchords because they're a cheap way of playing the songs you want (they're just 5ths). Learn to master barred chords if you're serious about guitar. If you learn barred chords then you can play powerchords but to do it the other way around is harder because you won't have the motivation then.
PS. RE: Guitar Chord Songs, Travis are quite easy. Just look for a song you like and force yourself to master the chords on it.
Reply 4184
Don't learn powerchords. Start off with the CAGED system, and work from there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_chord
I wish youtube links were more intuitive, never quite know what you're clicking on...
Demon_AS
That sounds very dissonant, SC... I didn't like it at all :confused:.

What did you like about it?

It's not very dissonant at all for the most part, there are some excellent harmonies going on.
Hehehe, it sounded dissonant to me :biggrin:.
Barre Chords > Power chords

When I first started out with guitar, I only played open chords, then got some advice to practise barre chords, they were best step I took whilst learning guitar...
When you do play power chords at least use your fingertips and not just be lazy and use the pads of your fingers, that is a really bad habit.
When you do play power chords at least use your fingertips and not just be lazy and use the pads of your fingers, that is a really bad habit.

i disagree, using the pads of your fingers gives you good practice for when you learn more advanced techniques like rolling and sweep picking. @ the OP start with barre chords (you can make any open chord a barre chord), and you will just know power chords after that.
dramaminedreams
i disagree, using the pads of your fingers gives you good practice for when you learn more advanced techniques like rolling and sweep picking.

Learning precision with your fingertips is way more important than learning to roll your fingers for sweeping. The OP is a beginner too, I doubt he is too concerned with sweep picking just yet.
ACDEG
Am Em
Acquiesce04
Don't Look Back Into The Sun

G D Em D C D G D

G C

G D

repeat

ALL OPEN CHORDS BTW.

I believe your verse is correct, your chorus however is wrong...

it should be:

G D Em D C D G D

C G

C D
Easiest and Nicest sounding chord = Eminor
Do you want the keys to the Lamborginhi? Then check this out

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg

2mins 55secs - ive watched it like 4 times and still can;t work out WTF is going on, lol
Ah him. Plays fast.
Reply 4197
Pfft.

Not a fan of Batio's at all tbh. Too much emphasis on being flashy and fast and not enough emphasis on... some artistic pish.

But really, not a fan.
I just got news from My guitar teacher after 1 year of teaching me, that hes going to do a Postgraduate course at University. I don't know where to start, he was a really good teacher and at times I think I could have done more to learn from his study, I bet with my luck my next teacher will be rubbish, but my dad told me I should consider my options for something else as I havn't done so much with the guitar.:s-smilie:
Reply 4199
I got to play a custom PRS, similar colour to the Carver posted up a few pages ago, through a ridiculously large VOX valve amp. It was something special. The action was so perfect that you could play a note simply by blowing on the string (not really, but close). I would have bought it if it was the better side of £300. Unfortunately it was the worse side of £3000 :s-smilie:

Latest