The Student Room Group

music composition

so i've landed myself in a stressful situation. i'm working on my music gcse composition and we've already spent all our 10 weeks on it but i've got basically nothing done because i keep trying things out and deleting them. i just can't compose and i don't understand music theory at all because i grew up playing guitar and i'm using to reading guitar tabs, not scales and notation. i technically still have an extra hour because i missed one week but we're meant to be doing a write up in class soon and i just haven't got anything. i'm so stressed out because of music + a pile of other subjects like art. some advice ?
Reply 1
Which brief are you doing?

I also had some difficulty composing, my advice is to choose a couple of instruments and stick with them, (it depends on the brief really), what I would do is come up with some ideas at home on your guitar (e.g. the melody that you're going to use) and then implement them into your composition at school.
Reply 2
Original post by username6630386
so i've landed myself in a stressful situation. i'm working on my music gcse composition and we've already spent all our 10 weeks on it but i've got basically nothing done because i keep trying things out and deleting them. i just can't compose and i don't understand music theory at all because i grew up playing guitar and i'm using to reading guitar tabs, not scales and notation. i technically still have an extra hour because i missed one week but we're meant to be doing a write up in class soon and i just haven't got anything. i'm so stressed out because of music + a pile of other subjects like art. some advice ?

Composition is a special game. You either 'have it' or you don't. I am one of the lucky ones and my teacher literally employed me in lessons to help guide the other students. It is almost impossible to teach if you (or the student) don't have some natural ability, however, there are things you can do. I found that a lot of students improved vastly after listening music related to the compositional style they were working on. Don't be afraid to imitate ideas from other composers (do not copy though). Ask your teacher for help, but if you don't like what they have written, don't use it. Remember, composition is a creative exercise and requires your own ideas. Play around on the keyboard or guitar and think of a Melody for example. Work on the chords afterwards. The one thing my teacher always got wrong was chords first, then Melody. If you're struggling to think of something try either way (I find it much easier to think of a Melody first however). Have you tried humming or whistling ideas in your quiet time? Works insanely well for me. You will get a 'light bulb moment' eventually. Good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest