The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, sorry to kinda butt in lol, just a general beginners question...

--------
--------
---12---
----l---
---10---
--------

--------
--------
---12---
--------
---10---
--------

I've seen tablature like this in a few places now - how do you play it?

Cheers for any help, Jack
Reply 581
I'm not sure, but I believe the first dictates that you can mute the middle string hence strum it rather than pluck...wouldn't quote me on it though.
So, for that example, you'd have your index finger on the A string on fret 10, your third finger on the G string on fret 12, and your second finger just resting on the D string to mute it... and then you'd pluck all 3?
Reply 583
yes, but it means you could strum instead of pluck, hence easier, depending upon what you're playing though. As I said - I'm not confident of this though, so dont hold me to it...
Any ideas are great thanks, sure you're a lot better than me lol - just needed an idea of what it meant.

I saw it in a tab for Hysteria by Muse (which I would love to play well!) and it just reminded me that I'd seen it around a few times and being quite a beginner it just seemed a bit weird to play 3 strings without playing the middle one
bikerx23
The foundations of rock are blues and dont you forget it :mad:

And you post this to me why?? I already know this, you can see the heavy jazz/blues influence in the hydridisation of guitar and keyboard sounds in Deep Purple's music and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin is a trained blues singer, giving Led Zepp a groovy vibe and feel. Where did i deny this? :confused: I said it was guitar based because rock was pretty much always interdependant on guitar...
goonerjack
So, for that example, you'd have your index finger on the A string on fret 10, your third finger on the G string on fret 12, and your second finger just resting on the D string to mute it... and then you'd pluck all 3?

I reckon it's just an octave i.e. you play the A and G strings only, I don't know what "|" is all about (probably nothing). As biker said you would strum this though, so be sure to mute all the other strings.
Reply 587
rashid1988
And you post this to me why?? I already know this, you can see the heavy jazz/blues influence in the hydridisation of guitar and keyboard sounds in Deep Purple's music and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin is a trained blues singer, giving Led Zepp a groovy vibe and feel. Where did i deny this? :confused: I said it was guitar based because rock was pretty much always interdependant on guitar...

Dude - its called a joke! Relax.
But, the keyboard on Deep Purple is more classically inspired than anything else...
bikerx23
Dude - its called a joke! Relax.
But, the keyboard on Deep Purple is more classically inspired than anything else...

Ok sorry if i sounded over-eager or anything man... I just take my music fairly seriously. Btw... I just bought Dream theater's Train of Thought album... What do you think of John Petrucci?
He is classed as a virtuoso correct?

Another question, how does one arise to this status? People like Satrianni and Malmsteen... How do you become a guitar 'virtuoso'?
rashid1988
Ok sorry if i sounded over-eager or anything man... I just take my music fairly seriously. Btw... I just bought Dream theater's Train of Thought album... What do you think of John Petrucci?
He is classed as a virtuoso correct?

Another question, how does one arise to this status? People like Satrianni and Malmsteen... How do you become a guitar 'virtuoso'?

The trick to being a virtuoso is to be really really really good.:biggrin:

A lot of experience usually helps, also a specific style of playing (and yes, JP is a virtuoso).
Reply 590
you have to be a wanky arsehole who plays music with extreme complexity and speed but little emotion.
bikerx23
you have to be a wanky arsehole who plays music with extreme complexity and speed but little emotion.

Haha yes sometimes people comment that there is alot of technicality and skill but little passion for the music. So some people comment that its going so fast and technical that its brilliant but sounds like ****! So far i'm loving the album tho... :biggrin:
Happy Cycling
The trick to being a virtuoso is to be really really really good.:biggrin:

A lot of experience usually helps, also a specific style of playing (and yes, JP is a virtuoso).

Yes i thought as much, but i was wondering if there was some sort of exam/ grading one had to pass to ascend to this status. So far JP is bloody amazing though!!! :biggrin:
bikerx23

mate, you're just ignorant. I dunno if you meant it as a joke but your comment is, how do i put it..erm...wrong! to be a virtuoso, you gotta have talent as well as technical ability. in fact, these guys play with more emotrion than anyone else. it doesn't mean you just **** really fast. those kind of players are ******s. listen to more petrucci or vai or satch.:biggrin:

btw, has anyone heard of shawn lane? he is bloody amazing.
Reply 594
I dont claim they have no talent, as obviously that is required to play with such technicality, but I dont also think they show the same emotion as many other players - try gary moore, rory gallagher, eric clapton.etc., and see the difference...Pink Floyd is a great example too.

I am a fan of satch, but would class him as one of the true virtuosos - listen to something like surfing with the alien and its all him evoking so much...but, for example, malmsteen, is just noodling and showing off - it isn't showing love for the music in the same way.
bikerx23
I dont claim they have no talent, as obviously that is required to play with such technicality, but I dont also think they show the same emotion as many other players - try gary moore, rory gallagher, eric clapton.etc., and see the difference...Pink Floyd is a great example too.

I am a fan of satch, but would class him as one of the true virtuosos - listen to something like surfing with the alien and its all him evoking so much...but, for example, malmsteen, is just noodling and showing off - it isn't showing love for the music in the same way.

I was also gonna post something along the lines of Satch being able to fill an album with just instrumentals and people actually listening must grasp some of the emotion. I agree with all the above bands u quoted, the one's i'd heard of, especially Clapton and David Gilmour. Although i listened to some of Malmsteen and liked it! But then again it was only 2 songs...
Reply 596
I would recommend the other two more highly to be honest...they are sort of blues-rock cross-overs, and absolutely amazing to boot.
Satch is, in my mind, an unparalleled guitarist - what he creates is like nothing else...but that doesn't mean I'd want him in my band.

From a music point some of these players are acceptible, but I just listen to the solo's and the guitarist in me cringes...try listening to the solo in jump by Van Halen - good solo, doesn't fit the song at all - they put it in there because without an EVH solo, the song would never sell....but it just sounds turd!
bikerx23
I would recommend the other two more highly to be honest...they are sort of blues-rock cross-overs, and absolutely amazing to boot.
Satch is, in my mind, an unparalleled guitarist - what he creates is like nothing else...but that doesn't mean I'd want him in my band.

From a music point some of these players are acceptible, but I just listen to the solo's and the guitarist in me cringes...try listening to the solo in jump by Van Halen - good solo, doesn't fit the song at all - they put it in there because without an EVH solo, the song would never sell....but it just sounds turd!

Will do, my mom really loves that song! haha! But yh EVH is an amazing guitarist! Eruption was great for the time... Cos no one could play it at the time, completely new style!
that's true, all of malmsteen songs sound the same. the usual melodic/harmonic minor arpeggios sweep picks followed by an ascending run on the diminished scales. i really don't like him. and he's the most arrogant musician out there. even more than slash whom i also do not like. c'mon for a guy who practises 12 hours a day, he isnt exactly great is he?
lol, and dimebag mastered eruption, what, when he was 14/15? that is like raw talent and amazingness. probably my favourite guitarist of all time.

Latest