The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Yep, my brother has a spider and I've played it a lot. My vox sounds a lot better, the spider sounds very digital in comparison IMO :\

I've heard lots of people say the same thing...
Yo people need a tiny bit of help.

Been playing a year and nine months and am feeling slightly unconfident with my ability recently. What kind of things was everyone able to play at this stage? Are there any songs that I could guage me level by?if that makes sense?
Hmmm... at that stage I felt I could play most things you hear on the radio (in terms of chords anyway). I reckon I had all the commonly-used chord shapes down, and was starting to branch off into the more uncommon ones. In terms of fingerpicking, I was able to do it, and was starting to use it as a way of playing songs I knew differently i.e. without plectrums. As far as picking went... well, this was (and is) the area I felt I had yet to make any significant improvement with.

As far as songs go... well, it depends on you really. I usually have song "milestones" and work towards them. At the stage where you're at, I had notions of learning Classical Gas (Mason Williams - I urge you to look it up if you don't know it already) but I didn't actually manage that till a while later. It's a good song to get stuck into, and you may surprise yourself with how much of it you can manage with a little practice.

Don't get too down... practice makes us all better. It's just a case of doing enough of it.
I only messed about for the first few years so after 9 months I wasn't particularly great. Once I started to get lessons I progressed very quickly though.
Reply 5984
Dark Horse of the Race
Yo people need a tiny bit of help.

Been playing a year and nine months and am feeling slightly unconfident with my ability recently. What kind of things was everyone able to play at this stage? Are there any songs that I could guage me level by?if that makes sense?

I had most chords down and was able to play fairly fast but only basic things. A year and nine months is nothing! Hang in there, I've been playing for about 5 years on and off when I did and didnt have a guitar around and I'm quite decent now but I've probably made more progress the past 2 months than I have in 2 years from simply playing it every day.
By then i'd got to grips with some of the common scales (including the good ol' minor pentatonic right across the neck), harmonic minors and so on, and I learnt the Crazy Train solo then I think... :p: Knew the basic chord shapes and a few fancy ones I picked up from songs (never been too up on complex chords :biggrin:) as well...

I agree with demon though - classical gas is a nice one for around that intermediate level of ability, and gets you into a lil fingerpicking too :wink:

I guess if you have (good) lessons the teacher'll guide you a bit more so you could progress faster in theory, though i've just wandered on learning what i feel like to be honest, and before you know it you're like .. wow I couldn't do that before; improvement is natural :smile:

It's different for everyone depending on what you play and how often etc, so just go at your own pace and you should be fine :wink:
If I tell you the hardest songs that I can play well, can you tell me if I'm doing well?
The ones I can do well are...
The chorus and verses of back in black,
Sweet child o mine up to where it starts getting fast in the solo,
Master of puppets intro thing,
Slither by velvet revolver until the solo...

Can't really think of anything else I can play that I would consider difficult.
I don't have lessons by the way. I've taught myself from the beginning
The songs you've mentioned are admirable in showing that you've obviously developed your skills practically on the guitar. Having said that, I don't think one's ability on the guitar can be tested merely by the songs they play. Having said that, have you learnt any scales? Any knowledge on theory?

And also, some people learn faster than others. I'm one heck of a slow learner but I just take that in my stride and get on with it; as long as I'm having fun whilst getting better as time goes by, it's all good. :smile:
spacecowboy_89
The songs you've mentioned are admirable in showing that you've obviously developed your skills practically on the guitar. Having said that, I don't think one's ability on the guitar can be tested merely by the songs they play. Having said that, have you learnt any scales? Any knowledge on theory?

And also, some people learn faster than others. I'm one heck of a slow learner but I just take that in my stride and get on with it; as long as I'm having fun whilst getting better as time goes by, it's all good. :smile:

Yeah I know quite a bit of theory cos I did piano for seven years before guitar and took music at a level. So I know a lot of music theory like scales and modes and I can read sheet music and all that shizzle.
Well that's a big advantage, it gives you a huge headstart compared to someone picking it up as a first instrument. Depending where you want to go with your playing you could look at picking up a few books aimed at developing your technique. For example Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina which is very challenging but one of the best books out there for developing that fast technical style.
Woo picked up my Washburn X50 yesterday, love it!! Am getting a Orange Crush 30R sometime next week too :biggrin: Also for someone who has never bought a strap before (just used the rubbish that came with my previous guitar), what do you think is worth getting and is it worth paying quite a bit to get a nice one? Going to be ordering from http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk probably as this is the only place i can find the amp i want in stock. and also is a stand like this http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Musical_Instrument_Accessories/Stands/sc1216/p394.aspx worth it? And again can someone recommend a good strap? The cheap one that came with my peavey was terrible and the cheapest of the cheap i'd imagine and wasn't comfortable and held no grip! Thanks!
I use one of those sort-of creamy coloured Jack Daniels straps with my strat with standard dunlop strap-locks. It's got proper tanned leather tabs unlike the horrible stuff you get with the real cheap straps so the holes dont disintegrate after a few weeks :p:

Just got a standard fender strap on my epi... I've never been too fussed about fancy straps as long as they stay on, dont slip around too much and vaguely match my guitar colour aha :biggrin:
benmh92
Woo picked up my Washburn X50 yesterday, love it!! Am getting a Orange Crush 30R sometime next week too :biggrin: Also for someone who has never bought a strap before (just used the rubbish that came with my previous guitar), what do you think is worth getting and is it worth paying quite a bit to get a nice one?

Hey man - glad you got your guitar!

And an Orange amp eh? you've done well there sir! Haven't played one personally - but have heard many rave reviews about Orange's gear!

As for the straps - I prefer the cheap nasty straps! :eek: Might sound odd, but the better quality ones I find are just more awkward. If you see a cheap one with Ying/Yang and some tribal markings in black and white (everybody has seen one of these somewhere!!!), then that's me!
So I got a pack of 3250R Fender Pure Nickel Wound strings and the bass string has broken in the space of 4 days.

What the hell.

I'm resorting back to the 3250R Nickelplated Steel Super Bullets now (.010 - .046) in hopes they don't do the same.

Are fender strings just crap? What are the best strings to get out there? Super Slinky?

Also, after a mere 4 days, I don't want to replace all the other strings on the guitar just because the bass went. Is it okay to replace the bass string with a different size / but still fender?
Best strings out there? Well, I like Ernie Balls and D'Addario most, and have used Fenders and Gibsons.

As for gauge... it's entirely what you want out of a guitar. The thicker gauge string you use, the better tone you'll get. The downside is it's harder to play (due to more tension) thicker gauge strings, which means it's harder to solo.

You'll find a lot of people use "heavy tops, skinny bottoms", so they have all the tone for their riffs, but a little more play available for their lead work.

Persohnally, I use .010s as a preferance, but have been using .009s recently.
I use Ernie Ball super slinkies on my strat (9's)
and Ernie Ball regular slinkys on my other guitars, more often than not.

Having said that I put a set of 9's on the other day and broke the top e the next day!! Ideally though, if I could afford it I could do with changing strings every 2 weeks or so anyway...

And mikey's spot on about gauges :ditto:
I've heard a lot of good things about D'Addario and a lot of recommendations for it. However, on my first search for them on the internet, a negative story came up whereby 2 D'Addario strings broke the day the person bought them! Obviously that's just one story, but ironic nonetheless given the amount of recommendations.

As for gauges, I know all to well about those.

Think I'm gonna get me a pack of D'Addario's; I think I used Super Slinky's before and didn't like them but I may be wrong.

I've always used .009's but I've got three packs of .010's to get into and see if they're more fitting to my needs.

Thanks guys. :smile:
I've always used Martins for my acoustic and D'Addarios for my strat.
I always put mediums on my acoustic and my cousin tells me I'm insane for doing it. I find it gives me a better sound and a bit more volume as I can attack them a bit more. Not great for trying to solo though. Also, I thought my fingers were literally going to bleed when I first switched to them!

Weirdly, "medium" are the heaviest strings most places sell for acoustics. Shouldn't they really be called "heavy" then?

Latest