The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Here's my sage words to enjoy:

G4ry
Ok, i'm going to ask again sorry to anyone that's already read this. Just been thinking about getting an electric and just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Cheaper Ibanez's (particularly the RG321). I was also just looking around at prices and saw 7 strings weren't that much more so has anyone played one or able to say if it's much of a step up from 6 string.

The RG321 isn't a bad guitar, particularly suitable if you're into the heavier side of music (stereotypically Ibanez then...). For the money it's a good buy, the only complaints I've heard are ones that you get with all lower end guitars i.e. the odd wonky screw, occasional loose bits, but really nothing major and you'd get good play out of it if you treat it with respect.
As regards 7-stringers, it's up to you really. If you reckon you'd make use of the low B then by all means get one. The only thing I can think of is getting strings might be a bit more troublesome, but not overly so.

Are crafter guitars any good? Compared to the likes of fender, gibson...

While they are never going to compare with a proper Gibson LP or a Strat, I reckon they are good guitars for starting out with. The price is good and the starter kit would be helpful if it's your 1st guitar. But personally I would look for the Yamaha Pacifica as it is officially the best budget guitar ever (ask anyone!) and its probably a lot better to play...

Okay Ive been learning for 3 months now. I can play basic chords, g, c, a ... I can also do barre chords, where do I go from here?

Depends what you want out of it! If you start learning songs then you may find things that you want to learn, or alternatively you could try some lessons, as they are great for focusing you on improving.

Also I have problems holding the pick, it always falls out of my hand after a minute of so, and sometimes in falls in the guitar hole, which is really annoying to get out.

Wouldn't be a problem with an electric - no hole! :biggrin:

Blingin'. Now I know what it's referring to, I'll appreciate your name more.

Nice one! :cool:
Reply 101
gordon2002

Also introduce yourself on this thread: i.e. what type of guitar you play, your favourite guitarist and 3 of your most favourite pieces/songs.

hey can i join too? I've been playing this yamaha acoustic for a year and a half, still cannot play a whole song cos I always dont get into playing/practising the hard bits
Reply 102
Happy Cycling
The RG321 isn't a bad guitar, particularly suitable if you're into the heavier side of music (stereotypically Ibanez then...). For the money it's a good buy, the only complaints I've heard are ones that you get with all lower end guitars i.e. the odd wonky screw, occasional loose bits, but really nothing major and you'd get good play out of it if you treat it with respect.

OK, thanks for the opinion there - i've read similar about it; i'll look into it. Do you have any recommendations? I'm more into the heavier side of music at the moment and whilst i'm not amazing at guitar i might try learning techniques such as sweep picking at some point in time (Jumbo frets are useful for this i believe). So my maximum is around £300 - i don't realy want a strat even though they're more than that and i'd want it to look cool but not that it has to try hard (such as Explorer's flying V's etc.)
Ibanez are definitely cool. In your price range I would suggest maybe (click the links!):

SZ-320
SAS-32FM if you want a trem.
SA160
Yeah, the S-series are nice :biggrin:
Or maybe an R-series such as:
RG370DX
which look more metally.

You could also try:
An ESP like this one
A Jackson like this one

Really it's up to you. Just buy the best that you can afford because it always pays off to do so.

Note: I used GAK just to find the examples so you might get better prices elsewhere. They're a good company if you are looking at ordering one though, but it's worth trying one out (or one like it) if possible before buying.
Reply 104
Georgia
Wow. Im jealous. How long have you been playing again? Is it possible im the only person that does not have an electric guitar?

um..about 4 years now, but i've stopped having lessons (not in the..oh yeah i'm great way) cos my teacher didnt think i was gaining as much as i could from him, but i've got too much other stuff on to start lessons again,
um.you dont NEED to have an electric, but they're cool, but acoustics are a completely different element to playing, and my pink acoustic suits me fine! :biggrin:
A bit OTT, but I think you guys should see this.

This rare footage of the Colombian guitarist known simply as Axel documents record-breaking guitar shredding speeds of nearly 10,000 notes per second. Current technology lacks the sophistication to fully duplicate the rapidity of the finger motion or articulation of every note, as does human sensory perception, but the soaring spiritual essence of the music is still captured in these few seconds of film...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3696772496625670&q=guitar
Obvious spoiler.

Spoiler

:biggrin:

Also I have problems holding the pick, it always falls out of my hand after a minute of so, and sometimes in falls in the guitar hole, which is really annoying to get out.

AHHHHHH i had that exact same problem when i first started - it will stop when you get better and if/when you get heavier gauge strings - but the better answer is to buy a cheapy startup guitar
What are heavier gauge strings?
Why is the better answer to buy a cheapy startup guitar?
I already have a £30 classical guitar from argos.
Don't get a cheapy start up guitar if you can help it.

Otherwise in six months time it won't be good enough for your skill level.

Etc.
Plus in 6 months it'll probably have broken.
but id say you need a cheaper one to find out if you both have a flair and enjoy playing guitar - personally i bought a 200 quid one as my first electric (after a 70 classical one)

if you are 100% sure on the instrument, buy a mexican strat (look at peter cook's guitar world - havent seen anywhere else cheaper) - its a great starting instrument and will last you a very long time until you develop a preference for a specific style (e.g jazz) and even then you'll still want to play it
Nah, buy a Yamaha Pacifica. Cheaper and almost as good. But I agree with your point.
Are crafter guitars any good? Compared to the likes of fender, gibson...

Obviously theyre not better than a Gibson but they are pretty good IMO, I have a crafter cruiser which is sort of an Ibanez copy. It is very good to learn on, it was my first guitar. Considering the price my model goes for (I've seen it on ebay for £130), it sounds pretty good. Although the pick ups really could do with changing if you want to improve the sound, Im using the stock pick ups at the moment, but might buy some Dimarzios or EMGs if I ever have the spare cash.
If you put a pair of DiMarzio's into a crafter, you'd have doubled the amount you paid for your guitar.

It isn't worth it for the actual sound improvement you get.
Reply 115
how odd!
http://www.fenderhellokitty.com/

quite cute for lil kids tho, the guitar has onne knob on it aww bless

that is one of the coolest guitars i have ever seen - i want superted on my guitar (its a little more masculine than a kitten)
Reply 117
ninetails
that is one of the coolest guitars i have ever seen - i want superted on my guitar (its a little more masculine than a kitten)

haha i remember superted! i used to have superted vitamins evveryday!
Happy Cycling
Playing songs is a good way to practice technique in context, and it is certainly more interesting than just playing exercise upon exercise. However you need to choose songs which will push you a bit, even if you can't play them immediately.

That said, exercises are vital for building up knowledge and fluency, and are vital if you intend to really develop as a player. You need your scales and chords for improvisation, and your patterns to give you super fast muscley fingers.

Like mine :biggrin:

Haha, true. It's not to say that I ignore my exercises... I just find them easy (at the moment) so I play more song material. I'm still a pretty bad player lol, and I need muscly fingers of which you spoke :P Playing my electro-acoustic is not an easy thing lol.

Latest