The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for all the helpful replies will have to get to work on them although I'm more into indie stuff and rock then the metal scene. I can play the into solos of 'A certain romance' and 'I bet that you look good on the dancefloor' pretty well. Currently been practiscing the little fills and solo on 'Married with Children', playing along withmy mate doing rhythm which is sounds not too terrible, so some progress.
Thanks for all the helpful replies, will have to get to work on them although I'm more into indie stuff and rock then the metal scene. I can play the into solos of 'A certain romance' and 'I bet that you look good on the dancefloor' pretty well. Currently been practiscing the little fills and solo on 'Married with Children', playing along with my mate doing rhythm which sounds not too terrible, so some progress.
My guitar comes back tomorrow *gets giddy* #excited#
Demon_AS
Erm... dude, I don't think you were quite following.

For a start, I was talking about strumming, not individual note picking. Whether you strum on the up or on the down, the sound of the entire chord sounds the same (unless played slowly, in which case the reversal of pitch in the notes can be heard), so I was advocating strumming alternately, as opposed to simple downstrokes.

All I meant to say was that I've recently - through hard work and practise - come to understand the easiest and most economical way of strumming is constant up and down movement, missing the strings on the beats that don't require it, and hitting them when you do.

Vector said something about playing the bass part to Hysteria with downstrokes alone - not me :wink:.

Given that I was talking about downstrokes and alt. picking while I was talking about master of puppets, you'd think I wasn't actually talking about strumming. Although, I can see the miscommunication as far as down strums and down strokes go. Sorry to jump on your tail there.

As far as 'slow strumming' goes, I suppose you mean playing arpeggiated chords?

The most economical way of strumming... would be, just like with picking, 'economy strumming' [heck, I don't know if that exists, but economy picking does]. [In the context of picking] The idea being that you change your stroke direction as little as possible, minimising unneccesary movements to get to your notes faster [I guess sweep picking could be called this too]. An example being:

D U U U D D U
------------------------------------------
----12--14----------------------12--14---
-------------12------------14-------------
--------------------15--------------------

[Notice the irregular picking pattern, it isn't alternate picking.]
Learn to pick every riff and scale run you know with all upstrokes.

Then you'll be good.
Wanderlust
Learn to pick every riff and scale run you know with all upstrokes.

Then you'll be good.

Yeah, or learn to pick every riff and scale run you know with all down strokes, all up strocks, alternate picking starting on a downstroke, alternate picking on an upstroke and economy picking. Gives people lots of material to practice.
Heheheheh, come on guys - we all know that we have some damn talented people in this society, let's not turn it into a competition :p:.

No doubt there's hundreds of ways for everyone to learn something new or improve...
Mustard-man
Which one is it?

I've got guitar pro 5 :smile:

Its not a guitar pro file, its for a program called 'powertab' that you can download free.

However here:
http://jerryc.tw/

There is a guitarpro 4 file and backing track for download in the lessons section

I dont use guitar pro, so i dunno if gp5 is compatible with gp4 files
Reply 1388
Heheheheh, come on guys - we all know that we have some damn talented people in this society, let's not turn it into a competition .

No doubt there's hundreds of ways for everyone to learn something new or improve...

Yes please let's not become like the YouTube people who will rubbish something as soon as they see it if it isn't up to scratch in any way. We guitarists are definitiley too competitive.
Reply 1389
Pulse
Yes please let's not become like the YouTube people who will rubbish something as soon as they see it if it isn't up to scratch in any way. We guitarists are definitiley too competitive.

tbh, i think a little competition is good - the only reason I am even playing the guitar is because I refuse to be beaten by a friend :smile:
Reply 1390
No don't get me wrong :biggrin: Competition is fine, as long as it's not that sort of "I dump on everything you try" variety, which is what i see often on YouTube.
Reply 1391
Pulse
No don't get me wrong :biggrin: Competition is fine, as long as it's not that sort of "I dump on everything you try" variety, which is what i see often on YouTube.

Very true... People hear know what they're talking about though :wink:
Reply 1392
Very true... People hear know what they're talking about though

Good good, I just felt like venting against those YouTube snobs.
Anywho, carry on with the advice as before....
Hehehe, the guys and gals in here are pretty knowledgeable people! We've already covered all sorts lol, from songs to major scales :rofl:
Competition = awesome. :smile:
Well, it's a useful motivational factor, within reason. But too much of it breeds unhealthy violence :p:.
Reply 1396
Maybe we should have some kind of friendly competition then :smile:
Reply 1397
Oh - if anyone's bored, chelsea dagger by the fratellis is not only a great song, but quite fun (and very easy) to play on an electric.

Michael
Who's that song by? And by "easy" what grade-standard are you talking about lol?
Reply 1399
by the fratellis - ill email it to you if you like...

I'd say it's grade 12\frac{1}{2} :smile:

What level are you demon?

Latest