The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Wanderlust
PS. Don't try tremelo picking stuff. Its bad for your arms.

Isn't that only if you opt for the stiff wrist approach and play using your elbow to get the speed? I thought the correct way was to use the wrist and small movement with the fingers? How else do these metal guitarists play so quick?

Any tips for palm muting on one string then playing without a mute and repeating?
Most metal guitarists have crap technique.

Don't ever lock the wrist up. Wrist should be free and all the movement should come from there.

Circular picking (From thumb and fingers) isn't good for you either.

As for the muting thing, I'd just a) Mute with the fretting finger or if its open string a) Mute neither notes but accent one heavily and the other not, or b) the same but mute both or c) play with the wrist position a bit: Eventually muting will become mechanical and you won't think about it.
Hey Guitar Soc! I've got a quick question. :smile:

I won't be able to start seriously taking lessons until next January, but I've started shopping around a bit for an acoustic guitar over the past few months. My best friend is currently blinded in her obsession with a Fender, so she hasn't been much help. I haven't really developed a budget yet, but after poking around, I'm thinking under $500 (£250).

& because I'm a nerd I brought a story about a scientific approach to guitar picking (& so I didn't feel like I was intruding too much, lol): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15173464/site/newsweek/

Thanks!!
I'll help you with finding a decent guitar tomorrow probably: Suffice to say, for 250 you can get a nice guitar.

As for the article: :s

Slash doesn't have good technique, and nobody should ever try and play in the same way Cooley does, because his technique is atrocious.
Reply 1784
So for this intro you wouldn't bother palm muting with your right hand and you'd just use the left hand?
Well...

I personally, would palm mute the bottom E constantly, and then hold my wrist at an angle, accent the 5 7 8 etc. notes and then gently lift my palm on and off the other strings once they'd rang on for long enough.

But I'd suggest if you're not so hot on it palm muting all the strings and picking very hard for the accented notes.
Wanderlust
I'll help you with finding a decent guitar tomorrow probably: Suffice to say, for 250 you can get a nice guitar.

As for the article: :s

Slash doesn't have good technique, and nobody should ever try and play in the same way Cooley does, because his technique is atrocious.

Actually, I was more interested in the technical analysis aspect than the quality of the guitarist, but good to know :smile:
G4ry
Isn't economy picking quite advanced stuff? I can't even tremolo pick well at the moment - i find it difficult to relax. I'm not breezing through MOP, only the solo bit :p: I'm not that good yet :redface: and even that bit's quite slow compared to the rest of the track (first solo/interlude thing i'm talking about).
Sorry, that's my fault, I thought you were talking about the faster solo (I did think that you had picked that up ridiculously fast :p:). Yeah, it may be be a good idea to work on normal tremelo picking before going on to stuff like economy picking (although it isn't necessary difficult, I just recommend it for refining technique :smile:)

I agree with wanderlust, stiff wrist or circular picking = bad idea. I try to get my speed from the wrist, I generally can go faster from the elbow (I wonder why :rolleyes:) but have no control whatsoever. Plus it's pretty much impossible to control your sound, not just your speed, from your wrist (i.e. palm-muting and stuff is not practical). Circular picking seems like a good idea, but in practice I find I can never get the same speeds with the small muscles in my hand as I can with the ones in my wrist.
Gryffindor

Actually, I was more interested in the technical analysis aspect than the quality of the guitarist, but good to know :smile:

Thats cool, I just didnt want anybody to look at the article and think that they should be copying those guys techniques.

The thing with unified technique is that there is already a unified technique theory: Most rock guitarists would choose to ignore it even though its probably documented in numerous places, because thats what they do.

But classical and jazz musicians of all instruments are aware of certain principles which make technique many, many times better: And its more to do with expression through sound than it is the repeated drilling of specific patterns and locked-wrist mechanics which most rock guitarists consider technique.
Once you get your hands going economy picking is great fun. It makes so much sense as well, I wish I'd been taught how to do it from the start, although of course having a solid alternate picking hand to work with is important.

I would've thought palm muting was a lot harder if you are playing "from the elbow" as keeping your palm in the same place is surely much harder when there's so much more movement....
Thats why nobody should ever play from the elbow full stop.

Well, aside from the fact that you could potentially lose the use of your arm unless you go through extensive surgery and therapy. :P :wink:

I'm off to sleep. See ya everyone.
Hmmm, perhaps I ought to learn how to economy pick at some point. I'm not very quick on scalar stuff yet, but chord wise I'm getting there!
Yes, maybe you should.

:hmmm:
Lol, well, I'm too busy playing this Dashboard song to start that now. Standard Lines - ever heard it? It's as emo as you can get, but it has some nice acoustic guitar to it, and the intro riff is pretty darn cool.
Reply 1794
This thread got pretty lively while I wasn't here. Typical.

As for the tremolo picking; I used to foolishly use the elbow, but like it's been said that's a ridiculous method. Once you get the hang of it, using the wrist becomes much easier and faster.

On another note; damn uni and the stress arising from uni; I hardly have any time to practice.
Damn uni indeed, been thinking the very same thing.
I havent.

They pretty much schedule my week so that I can practise a ridiculous amount of hours a day.

Which is cool and all, but I'm busy eating biscuits instead.
Reply 1797
I wish I had scheduling that allowed me to eat biscuits..
I barely have time for bourbons.
*Wonders if now would be the appropriate time to remind SC that Demon has copious amounts of time in which he can do *anything* he pleases, including hours of practise...* :flute:

Latest