The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

How is the nightlife at Essex?

I fell in love with the University of Essex and I really like the course I've applied for so I'm likely to firm Essex. But I was wondering how the nightlife is in Colchester as I'm from the north and I'd love to know where all the hotspots are haha.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi!

I'm a current student at Essex so hopefully I'll be able to help. I love the nightlife here. On campus we have the SU Bar which hosts our karaoke and cheesy music night, Milk It. It's great for reliving your childhood! We also Base Bar and Club which hosts nights specific to certain genres like grime or rock and indie. Then there's our club, Sub Zero. It has Sports Fed on a Wednesday where all the sports teams go out in costume but everyone is welcome, then there's the Friday Night Project which is like chart music with a few others thrown in. Saturdays, there's often a special guest, in the past we've had Zane Lowe and Hannah Wants. Outside of campus though there are some good bars in Colchester town if you're into more live music nights. There's also the new club Atik, I haven't been but I have heard good things.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CampusCat
Hi!

I'm a current student at Essex so hopefully I'll be able to help. I love the nightlife here. On campus we have the SU Bar which hosts our karaoke and cheesy music night, Milk It. It's great for reliving your childhood! We also Base Bar and Club which hosts nights specific to certain genres like grime or rock and indie. Then there's our club, Sub Zero. It has Sports Fed on a Wednesday where all the sports teams go out in costume but everyone is welcome, then there's the Friday Night Project which is like chart music with a few others thrown in. Saturdays, there's often a special guest, in the past we've had Zane Lowe and Hannah Wants. Outside of campus though there are some good bars in Colchester town if you're into more live music nights. There's also the new club Atik, I haven't been but I have heard good things.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!

I feel like this is biased... Where are you from? It sounds like you have sufficient options at Essex but could you rate the overall atmosphere out of 10? I just feel like you might get bored of the options after a while but if it's pretty good that's fine. Do people go to London because the options get boring?
Original post by Liswan
I feel like this is biased... Where are you from? It sounds like you have sufficient options at Essex but could you rate the overall atmosphere out of 10? I just feel like you might get bored of the options after a while but if it's pretty good that's fine. Do people go to London because the options get boring?

I'm actually from Manchester, so the north like you! I can say that going out in Manchester is different to going out in Essex as it's a big city. What you don't get in Manchester though that you do get at Essex is the people. I enjoy going out on campus because it's all students and people who you know, even if you went out by yourself you'd have a great time. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 overall. I have never known anyone to go to London from Colchester just for a night out.
CampusCat (didn't know Pebbles was so tech savvy :biggrin:) basically said it all. But what the uni offers in terms of nights out is.. a bit more limited. If you're into house music, congrats, you'd love sub zero and most nights otherwise because that's mostly what is played.
Rock/Indie and any other nights (excluding Milk it! - Every Monday) are few and far between, and there no club nights of the sort in town but V-Bar, Twisters and Three Wise Monkeys offer a good night out; so don't count on that if you want to attend, but other than that the SU Bar and Top Bar are quite good hang out spots. I believe there's a new-ish venue in the Meadows (accommodation) that recently had an urban night that went fairly well. There's FED, the Friday night project which I think is quite cheap (£1 entry if you buy a ticket within the specified timeframe), CoKo and others scattered between. As for the town, as I said, there isn't much variation but if you're after a typical club night then you'll be spoiled for choice.

Hope that helps, if you want any other information, just say!
Hello all,

Night life on is always great as there is lots to do on campus, including the SU bar, and a night club 'Sub-Zero'. Due to everything being on campus you are never to far of a walk, everyone who goes are students, you always see people you know and drinks are cheap :tongue:. Both hold regular events such as, our karaoke and cheesy music night, Milk It on a Monday and Sports Fed on a Wednesday where all the sports teams go out weekly in their teams, in different themed fancy dress costumes, alongside the event being open to everybody:h:. The clubs also hold other themed or music events every week, including Punk vs Indie & UV paint and foam party, or it is just open for everybody to enjoy. All list of what goes on in Sub-Zero can be found here: https://www.essexstudent.com/whatson/clubs/.

Alongside going out on campus you can go out in Colchester city centre which is down the road, which has lots of clubs and bars. Or, if you feel like it you can make a bigger night out by going into Chelmsford City Centre by the train. Both have lots of night life, while still feeling safe and close to home.

Essex Official Rep X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending