The Student Room Group

Good unis for biochem with BBC

So I am on a gap year at the moment and I’m an international student. My predicted grades last year were AAA but unfortunately life got in the way and I only came out with BBC… I want to study Biochem and I am retaking two Alevels in hopes to get As, however I’ve been told that because I’m a private student I can’t apply to uni with “predicted As” and I have to apply with BBC.

And to add to this mess, I don’t have Biology alevel and when I moved to the UK I only wrote maths and english GCSE (instead of the usual 5).

Are there any good Unis you would recommend with low grade requirements? I will take anything or anywhere I can get.
Original post by evangeline$!123
So I am on a gap year at the moment and I’m an international student. My predicted grades last year were AAA but unfortunately life got in the way and I only came out with BBC… I want to study Biochem and I am retaking two Alevels in hopes to get As, however I’ve been told that because I’m a private student I can’t apply to uni with “predicted As” and I have to apply with BBC.

And to add to this mess, I don’t have Biology alevel and when I moved to the UK I only wrote maths and english GCSE (instead of the usual 5).

Are there any good Unis you would recommend with low grade requirements? I will take anything or anywhere I can get.

It's often the case that if you're resitting as a private candidate, you have no way to get new predicted grades. Universities are well aware of this and will generally assume that each subject you're retaking will go up by one grade.

Some questions:
You say you don't have Biology A level; what A levels do you have?
Which are the A levels you're retaking?
You have GCSE Maths and English Language; what grade did you get for each?
Original post by DataVenia

It's often the case that if you're resitting as a private candidate, you have no way to get new predicted grades. Universities are well aware of this and will generally assume that each subject you're retaking will go up by one grade.

Some questions:
You say you don't have Biology A level; what A levels do you have?
Which are the A levels you're retaking?
You have GCSE Maths and English Language; what grade did you get for each?

First little bit of good news I’ve heard in a while…
I had Chemistry(C), Maths(B), Physics(B) and Further Maths(D). I am retaking Chemistry and Maths.
GCSE Maths(8) and English Language(5)
First little bit of good news I’ve heard in a while…
I had Chemistry(C), Maths(B), Physics(B) and Further Maths(D). I am retaking Chemistry and Maths.
GCSE Maths(8) and English Language(5)

How about one of these:

Surrey: "BBB. Required subjects: Biology or Chemistry at grade B and a second science or Mathematics." (details)
Keele: "ABB in three A Levels including B in Chemistry and B in one other Science subject from the Keele Defined Sciences List." (details)
Essex: "BBB ... including B in Chemistry or Biology and a second science or Mathematics." (details)

I had to cross several off the list where you met the A level requirements (assuming the two retakes go up a grade) but where they wanted five GCSEs. I can't see any stipulation for five GCSEs for the above, but please do double-check yourself.
Original post by DataVenia

How about one of these:

Surrey: "BBB. Required subjects: Biology or Chemistry at grade B and a second science or Mathematics." (details)
Keele: "ABB in three A Levels including B in Chemistry and B in one other Science subject from the Keele Defined Sciences List." (details)
Essex: "BBB ... including B in Chemistry or Biology and a second science or Mathematics." (details)

I had to cross several off the list where you met the A level requirements (assuming the two retakes go up a grade) but where they wanted five GCSEs. I can't see any stipulation for five GCSEs for the above, but please do double-check yourself.

Wow thank you, I appreciate this loads!!
Do I then mention in my personal statement that I am retaking those specific A-levels?
Wow thank you, I appreciate this loads!!
Do I then mention in my personal statement that I am retaking those specific A-levels?

You can mention that in your Personal Statement if you like, but they'll know you're retaking anyway. That's because you'll enter each exam you're re-taking twice in the Education section when you complete your UCAS application. You'll enter it once with the original exam centre and your actual grades, and then again with the new exam centre and a grade of "Pending".

If you do opt to mention it in your Personal Statement (in order to "justify" the need to retake), I suggest you come up with something better than "unfortunately life got in the way". :wink:

Advising you on this is very difficult. What one person likes is anothers dislike so trying to recommend specific universities is impossible.

You need to think about what you want in a university. Do you want to be in a big or small city, a campus university or one spread across the city and a whole host of orher things like safety and nightlife.

Some general advice regarding your predicament. Most universities normally look for 5 GCSEs. However your circumstances are different and it is possible they might forego this due to arrival in the UK. You need to ring any universities that interest you and ask them for advice about this before applying.

Secondly some universities accept below their published rates. I read a few years ago 40% of students got in at least 2 grades below their offers. A student with BBC might well get offers from BBB universities and possibly ABB. For that reason you would be be advised to try 1 at ABB, 2 or 3 at BBB and 1 below.

I havent checked the position regarding Biology but universities at this level include Aberystwyth, Aston, East Anglia, Kent, Keele, Liverpool, Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Sussex and Swansea. Given the time scale ring the universities as you might not get replies if you email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending