The Student Room Group

Work in a pub VS work in retail as first part time job?

Would like to hear everyones opinions on which of these are less soul-destroying lol
Reply 1
I have never worked in retail but hospitality is very character building, I loved every minute and made some lifelong friends in it but you will need to grow a thick skin v quickly!
Reply 2
I’ve done both and enjoyed the pub work much more. Mind you it was the SU bar where I was amongst like minded friends. It you like the pub environment I’m sure you’d enjoy it. Retail will also vary depending on the company, with a product or service you like it could be good too. Avoid McD and the like
Original post by discomfortd
Would like to hear everyones opinions on which of these are less soul-destroying lol

Both have their ups and downs. It depends on which job you prefer really. Some people get on with certain jobs more than others. If apply to both and see how you get on.
I worked at McDonald's and loved it. There were people working there of all ages and walks of life. I made some good friends and had a laugh.
Both have wonderful customers... https://notalwaysright.com/right/ 😆
Reply 5

Some retailing Jobs can be very hard going especially in supermarkets when you have to push heavy cage's full of food etc from the storeroom to wherever you are working about in the store.
Unless you are working as a checkout operator as you only sitting down serving customer unlike shop floor staff.

There's good going retailing shops but also you have few horrible ones where nobody wants to talk to you or help you.

Working in a pub can be good and bad depending on whetstone you are serving customers or just going round collecting the emptys glasses and plates if they serve food.
Original post by Tracey_W
Some retailing Jobs can be very hard going especially in supermarkets when you have to push heavy cage's full of food etc from the storeroom to wherever you are working about in the store.
Unless you are working as a checkout operator as you only sitting down serving customer unlike shop floor staff.

There's good going retailing shops but also you have few horrible ones where nobody wants to talk to you or help you.

Working in a pub can be good and bad depending on whetstone you are serving customers or just going round collecting the emptys glasses and plates if they serve food.

i feel pubwork is probably the best option if your looking for enjoyment. both are hard work and you are dealing with drunk guys and so sexual harrasment and violence might be a big thing but if your with friends to help make you more comfortable then you should be fine.
Going to be pretty crap either way in most cases. That said working in a pub/food/drink service environment might give you some more relevant experience for applying to other roles in future (whereas working in a high street retail store doesn't add anything beyond what the pub work already gives you). Also debatably for a pub, if it's a privately owned one and not part of a chain you might have the odd chance of having a decent management, whereas any high street retailer is invariably going to have the same issues with management regardless of how nice the person is (due to the unrealistic performance expected from managers and their stores anyway).
Original post by artful_lounger
Going to be pretty crap either way in most cases. That said working in a pub/food/drink service environment might give you some more relevant experience for applying to other roles in future (whereas working in a high street retail store doesn't add anything beyond what the pub work already gives you). Also debatably for a pub, if it's a privately owned one and not part of a chain you might have the odd chance of having a decent management, whereas any high street retailer is invariably going to have the same issues with management regardless of how nice the person is (due to the unrealistic performance expected from managers and their stores anyway).

uh yeah.. that too

Hey @discomfortd 👋

I've done both and there's pros and cons to both of these, as with any job really!

I loved working in a bar as it can be a really fun atmosphere. I viewed it like a night out that you're getting paid for instead of spending money lol you can also earn tips in the hospitality industry.

The downsides are the working hours can be difficult. If you don't mind late nights and shift work. It also depends on how old you are. If you're under 18 and are just looking for a waiter/waitress position then you shouldn't be there too late. Working behind the bar can be very late nights. There is the hazard of working around drunk people in any nightlife environment so stay safe.

Working in retail can be less stressful than hospitality (but not always). You tend to have daily tasks to complete and there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with restocking and inventory, etc. There is a lot more to the job than just standing behind a till all day. You are more likely to have set working hours and more sociable working hours, especially in high street retail where shops close at about 5-6pm.

In both of these jobs, it can feel a bit overwhelming at busy times and dealing with complaints or difficult customers is part of it. If you have a good manager they won't leave you alone to deal with irate customers and there's usually a supervisor you can go to for help.

It's your first job so there's no pressure, just a way to earn some extra money and learn a few life skills while you're at it! Best of luck

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending