The Student Room Group

Further Maths Question

Hi I'm doing my A2 year and have picked up AS Further Maths, I'll be taking the modules FP1 and D1 in Jan and then D2 in June, I'm thinking of doing the A2 text after Xmas and then sitting the exams in June. I have two question:

Does FM really help with your 1st year when studying for a Maths Degrees?

If so how does it help is it the basic starting point for degree maths and you build from there or Is 1st yr uni maths similar to the work covered in FP2 and FP3?
Reply 1
It depends where you are planning to study for the degree.
Reply 2
Lusus Naturae
It depends where you are planning to study for the degree.

Hoping to go to:

Imperial
Warwick
Ucl
Reply 3
If you want help for uni I reccomend doing more than one further module and not wimping out by going down the easy decision road.

Get more further pure under your belt.
Reply 4
At Warwick, around 7%-10% of the contact in the first term is some FP1/2/3 material. To answer your question, though: I think it helps a lot. Not just with understanding more Mathematics, but with gaining practice and confidence in using Mathematics, manipulating expressions, solving problems, and so on. I think that extra practice is just as, if not more, important than the actual material you learn in the FP modules. (Conclusion: Do FP1/FP2/FP3 :wink: )
Reply 5
Avo
If you want help for uni I reccomend doing more than one further module and not wimping out by going down the easy decision road.

Get more further pure under your belt.

I am planning to sit FP2 and S2,S3 or maybe FP3 at the end of the year but whats the gap like between FP2 and FP3 and degree maths?
Reply 6
Try and look at some mechanics modules as well/instead of D2.
Reply 7
Lusus Naturae
At Warwick, around 7%-10% of the contact in the first term is some FP1/2/3 material.

So what is the difference in difficulty between FP1/2/3 and the rest of maths covered at uni?
I've seen a lot of people criticse 'Decision Maths' in the thread :frown:........

Basically i'm doing Further Maths (A2) and although i have done S1, S2, M1, M2 i've decided to do D1 and D2 also to see how they are like.........

I'm NOT however doing a maths degree at uni, i'm purely doing it as i like maths (i know that may sound weird lol) but i was wondering in my situation does it matter??

PS. hoping to do PPE at university and go into the finance field when older

Reply 9
theworm
So what is the difference in difficulty between FP1/2/3 and the rest of maths covered at uni?

I've only been here two weeks, but I have noticed there is more rigour, more abstraction, and more proof.

(See the edit in my previous post for some other information)
Reply 10
thanks everyone
Lusus Naturae
I've only been here two weeks, but I have noticed there is more rigour, more abstraction, and more proof.

(See the edit in my previous post for some other information)

2 weeks at 2776 posts?
Reply 12
i think he meant in his uni for 2 weeks=.=

Latest