The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

University Accomodation

Hi all,I'm looking to apply for student accommodation for my second year of studies resulting from bad family circumstances. However, the one issue is I do not own a direct debit and understand this is required to pay the rent. Is there a way of getting around this as to apply for a DD would take me past the deadline as I would have to apply for a form of id to get the bank account.Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
You can apply now and also apply for a card you can dd too. Surely you will get it before you need to pay rent.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
A Direct Debit is not a 'thing' that you own - it's.the mandate the provider of the service will ask you to sign in order for them to take your rent from your bank account at the times they tell you that they are going to. If you have previously had a contract with a company and a DD has already been set up, then the company may be able to continue to take money under the same mandate, otherwise a new one is set up.

Are you sure 'direct debit' is actually what you mean?
Reply 3
Original post by sophielulu
Hi all,I'm looking to apply for student accommodation for my second year of studies resulting from bad family circumstances. However, the one issue is I do not own a direct debit and understand this is required to pay the rent. Is there a way of getting around this as to apply for a DD would take me past the deadline as I would have to apply for a form of id to get the bank account.Thank you! :smile:

Yes you need to open a bank account first, if you don't already have one. A direct debit is just a method of payment from your bank account. Any bank account can have direct debits set up.

Can I ask what you currently do for money if you don't already have an account? How do you pay for food and living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending