The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything with a lot of theoretical content - i.e. any of the ones you listed, a science degree or something like physiotherapy - which will cover most of the anatomy side of a medical course. As long as the degree you have done has given you a knowledge base that can be used for the 4-year degree course, it should be accepted. But email the admissions tutor to check out your course if you are still in doubt.
Reply 2
why are you intending on doing postgrad medicine?
what's wrong with undergrad medicine?
Reply 3
Saffie
why are you intending on doing postgrad medicine?
what's wrong with undergrad medicine?

That's a rather good point! Postgrad is far harder to get into that Undergrad, plus you are doing an extra 2 years (5 yr undergrad in comparison with 3 + 4 yrs postgrad).
Reply 4
U would probably be better to take a gap year, but stay focussed if you do.
Reply 5
if you dont get the grades, retake.
Reply 6
If you wanted to take the REALLY long way round, you could do a degree, then apply for undergrad med, which would give you a nice total of 8 years at university.
Reply 7
Or you could do undergrad, a doctorate and then medicine - but that's only if you're REALLY hardcore :wink:
Reply 8
But why don't you apply for medicine, then use slot number 5 for Biochemistry? Are you really doubtful about your grades?
ps7
^
incase i dont get AAA that way i can go thru the post grad route-

Mate, you cant just "go through the post grad route!" How many times do people say it on here. :rolleyes: It is something like 3 times as difficult. :eek:

Hope you get the grades, though, and get into a Medical School. :smile:
Reply 10
Look on university websites - most require you to have covered an amount of biochemistry, cellular biology and human physiology during your undergraduate degree. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but physiotherapy isn't exactly the best choice since there's barely any element, if any, on the micro levels of biology.
Mate, seriously, don't do undergrad if you're focused entirely on medicine. I implore you to reconsider. Sure you'll have some nice job prospects with that biochem/biology degree, but then what? Your heart won't be in what you do...and that's just not what you want ultimately!

Personally I wish I'd done a gap year. The only reasons I'm happy with my undergrad (+postgrad now!) choices are that I'll have a few extra qualifications (and I can put BSc (hons) MSc after my name soon:biggrin:) and that I met the girlfriend whilst on undergrad :smile:

But the gap year is WAY more beneficial. You can repeat your A-levels if you dont get the grades, go to college and do them, or whatever. Think about it!!!
Fluffy
Or you could do undergrad, a doctorate and then medicine - but that's only if you're REALLY hardcore

Hmm I wonder who could have done that? =P

Graemematt, are you not applying for medicine 08 anymore?
Reply 13
I've heard of people with undergrad degrees in any subject, (philosophy and journalism were two examples) taking Fast-Track Medicine as a Postgrad degree, although I realise that the chances of being accepted are incredibly, incredibly low.
Reply 14
I have researched this quite a bit. It really depends on the university. A lot of unis won't take nursing, physiotherapy or chiropractic as a 1st degree entry qualification.
Some state science based only. Others are very flexible, and as previously mentioned will accept journalism, law, english etc, but usually you have to have studied A level sciences as well.

Biology is certainly acceptable, and in general most sciences. But you really do have to research the unis you intend applying to.

It's worth noting that one or two unis will take a 2:2 qualification, most ask for 2:1 but some will only accept people with a 1st class degree. So if you decide to go that route, pick something that you think you can do well in.
Reply 15
Quite a few accpt physio apparantly, my sister is one and she considered doing it.
Speedbird2006
Mate, you cant just "go through the post grad route!" How many times do people say it on here. :rolleyes: It is something like 3 times as difficult. :eek:

If only someone had told me this 4 years ago, when I decided I'd just do natural sciences and then medicine afterwards, and now doubting I'll get onto a GEP anywhere. To the OP- if you are sure you want to do medicine do consider taking a gap year and reapplying.
Reply 17
Also: don't let numbers discourage you. I'm not saying I'm any kind of living success story since I'm not even applying until next year, but if you let applicant:tongue:lace ratios worry you then try and spend more time worrying about making the odds smaller by making your application better.
Just another word of caution about the grad route - If you choose to do a normal 5 year entry YOU HAVE TO PAY.

A good undergrad degree for possible future entry is physiotherapy, radiography or nursing. The NHS pays for it (so you can get your LEA to pay for medicine), also you get loads of experience with patients and structure of NHS etc.

try looking at the NHS funded degrees, ,
yay, lets all go out and use public money to gain pointless qualifications that we don't even want just because it's free!!

Latest

Trending

Trending