The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A Y Z
We are pretty close.

Indeed. So if one or two members enjoy a certain aspect of MUN life, they are not to be dissuaded or discouraged, as its their MUN as much as anybody else's.
I'm sorry to intervene in this discussion, I just wanted to know when we would be voting on this issue, as I think it seems to be quite a huge one right now.
Reply 42
wackysparkle
I'm sorry to intervene in this discussion, I just wanted to know when we would be voting on this issue, as I think it seems to be quite a huge one right now.

I was sort of waiting to see whether any one else in the MUN had anything to say. Especially Elements.
she hasn't replied to HQ either :dontknow:.. yet she is active right now.
Reply 44
wackysparkle
I win :proud: :p:

one convert Craggy!! --- best get that poll up ;yes;

Hmm, I wouldn't call myself a convert, but we'll see how it goes. I will keep pushing though :smile: rules are made to be amended and all of that sort of thing.
very true :smile:
Reply 46
Now that I have time to do this issue justice, lets try to wrap the issue up.

Firstly we need to agree on a clause or two to put into the charter regarding rules and guidelines needed to clarify the representation of UNOs. Here are some of my suggestions. Please raise any objections or additions as you see fit:

The Representation of UN Organisations

UNO representatives may not vote on any resolutions or topics that strictly concern national politics or security.

UNO representatives may vote in polls pertaining to the structure and organisation of the TSR MUN (eg polls voted OOC)

UNO representatives may vote in elections for Security Council representatives and Secretary Generals, but not non-permanent Security Council representatives.

UNO representatives are required to remain politically neutral in all of their representative, but are required to promote their cause in an unbiased manner wherever it is appropriate

Apart from the above, UNO representatives are subject to the same MUN rules (as specified in this charter) and TSR rules as the other MUN members are.

Lastly we need to settle the issue of dual representation by a vote. I propose that we agree on some conditional requirements to a dual representation before we vote on it, eg:

- Members may represent a UNO as well as a country if they have been known to be active in the MUN approximately every second day on a consistent basis. (This will be judged at the discretion of the Secretary General)
- Members may not represent two countries or two UNOs, only one of each under the condition put forward above.

If anybody has any better guidelines or conditions to suggest, please propose them before I put up the poll (shortly).
Reply 47
I still don't think you can represent a UNO and a country effectively
:ditto:

either you represent a country or you represent a UNO - not both.
Reply 49
Can we have more feedback as I hinted at in my last post? Eg, can people say 'yes that's fine' about the suggested clause for UNO reps for the charter, or 'no it should be this'. I'll put up a poll for dual repping soon, no need to post your disapproval. Just say if there should be any other conditions for dual representatives in case your side loses :p:
Reply 50
Your clause is fantastic, thanks you :smile:

I would say that a level of UNO would be great, so Level one being the equivalent of the SC, and so on to, uh, Liechtenstein :p:

Or maybe you could represent an Observer and a country but not a UNO and a country? But that should probably be a different discussion.
don't bring observers into it ukebert - shouldn't we wait until we decide on this first? :p:

sorry, alright SG,

If we were to lose the poll, then I would say:
Dual representation of a country and an UNO is permissible if the representative has shown that they are firstly able to represent each independently for a minimum of 2 weeks before they can claim ownership of both a UNO as well as a country.
Reply 52
However you can't represent say the USA and the WHO, that would be silly, so points points points ;yes;
This is the problem I foresee, hence why I disagree with dual representation.
What defines an 'important' country - where full attention is needed all the time? and what defines an 'important' UNO?
This would definitely have to be discussed further if the poll careens towards the idea of dual representation.
Reply 54
Draft One:

World Health Organisation
World Food Programme
United Nations Human Rights Council
United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
United Nations Development Programme

Food and Agriculture Organisation
International Labour Organisation
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
United Nations Drug Control Programme
United Nations Environment Programme
United Nations Population Fund
United Nations Human Settlements Programme
United Nations Children Fund
World Meteorological Oraganisation

International Civil Aviation Organisation
International Telecommunications Union
United Nations Fund for International Partnerships
United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
Universal Postal union
Is there some order you've put these UNOs in? :confused:

I already listed out several, which I thought would be helpful right now for the MUN - in categories, where I've highlighted which organizations are most important.
Reply 56
wackysparkle
Is there some order you've put these UNOs in? :confused:

I already listed out several, which I thought would be helpful right now for the MUN - in categories, where I've highlighted which organizations are most important.

Yeah, rough order of the perceived importance as viewed from where I am :smile:
Are they all related directly with the UN or are they branches?
Reply 58
They are all listed as "Programs, funds and agencies" of the UN on wikipedia.
Only reason I ask is because, all UNOs have to go through the UN, but some are.. well let me give an example.

You can get O2 phone shops, but then those are the retailers, you can also get 'franchises' where they use the O2 stuff, but get down their down merchandise

this is the way in which some of the UNOs work.

Latest

Trending

Trending