The Student Room Group
maria737
i'm taking AS history and the other day we got given two document/source based questions. We have to use both the documents given and our own knowledge as i guess you already know. We're told to consider the authorship of the extracts and reasons for writing them but i don't really know much about them...
it's for monday and i was wondering if i could get some help cause i'd reallllllly apprecite it!

I'm doing mine on the italian unification, u? just started looking at the papers and such. It'll sound daft but underline the key points in the question so you definately know what you're answering, and make sure you keep referring back to the question, also, use quotes out of the sources.

Basic advice, I know, but I don't think anyone can help you much more unless you post the subject matter and question. :smile:
Reply 2
the first question is 'To what extent was Germany responsible for the outbreak of war in August 1914'
and the other is 'did the schlieffen plan fail due to German miscalculation or allied strength?'

the Germany question includes a extract from the December war council meeting, a diary entry from K.Riezler, secretary to Bethmann Hollweg, and an extract from F.R Bridge's 1914: the coming of the first world war.

the schlieffen plan question contains an extract from Farrar LL. the stratergy of the centralm powers, 1914-17 in 1998, an extract from the first world war by Keegan, J, an extract from Tucker SC, the great war and two British infantry officers commenting on the conditions of warfare on the western front.

i'm fine with the Germany question but i don't really know what to say about the Authors, the Schlieffen plan question i'm completely stuck on. i have to hand it in tomorrow so i'd love some help!
maria737
the first question is 'To what extent was Germany responsible for the outbreak of war in August 1914'
and the other is 'did the schlieffen plan fail due to German miscalculation or allied strength?'

the Germany question includes a extract from the December war council meeting, a diary entry from K.Riezler, secretary to Bethmann Hollweg, and an extract from F.R Bridge's 1914: the coming of the first world war.

the schlieffen plan question contains an extract from Farrar LL. the stratergy of the centralm powers, 1914-17 in 1998, an extract from the first world war by Keegan, J, an extract from Tucker SC, the great war and two British infantry officers commenting on the conditions of warfare on the western front.

i'm fine with the Germany question but i don't really know what to say about the Authors, the Schlieffen plan question i'm completely stuck on. i have to hand it in tomorrow so i'd love some help!

Sorry! I think this is too late! but what I'd say is look at whether the authors could be biased- were they involved in the actual events or parts of certain groups at the time? Also, modern sources are secondary and therefore lack first-hand experience, however, you can almost garentee that they wont be biased. Sorry if this is too late! :smile:
jess_17_07
however, you can almost garentee that they wont be biased.

Why? Every single historian and every single source, whether primary, secondary, or from the grey area in the middle, all are "biased". You yourself are biased; I'm biased; history is fundamentally biased.
Reply 5
it's late but thanks for the future anyways. our eacher has a thing about using the word 'biased' as AS anyways. he says we should have a fnger broken for each time we use it lol...

Latest

Trending

Trending