The Student Room Group

For Medicine students to answer as a help to the others

Hello everyone!

I just thought that it would be a very good idea to talk about acceptance to Medicine, this a question to all those who have been offered a place or are studying Medicine at the moment as a help to all those who wish to get into a medicine Uni...
Could you all kindly tell ur which universities did you apply to? Which ones offered you a place? How do you think you did on your BMAT? What did you actually get? What did you get for your AS and A levels? What about your GCSE scores?

Kindly answer these questions and help all those who are very nervous or upset about their BMAT results or performance.
don't worry about your BMAT. everyone does "badly" in the sense that it's the first exam you've ever taken where getting all the answers right isn't a realistic opportunity. so you feel you got loads of them wrong. you did, but that isn't the same as failing it.
Reply 2
Look at last year's 2007 offers thread :wink:
Reply 3
I honestly don't think this is a helpful exercise, it just creates false comfort and false worry in equal measure because you can never find applications identical to your own. Its nothing but a random sample of people who can be bothered/are naive enough to reply. Plus, each application cycle varies to a tremendous extent, even my four year old information would now be of little use to you.

I would learn to accept the uncertainty in making an application and realise that this isn't a situation where you can at all insure against failure with anything. Perfectly capable and competent people get rejected every year, this is the game you're choosing to play.
Reply 4
Erm - that's what the whole forum is for, and why so many med students and qualified doctors use the site :rolleyes:
Reply 5
What were your GCSEs fluff? :p:
Reply 6
bright star
don't worry about your BMAT. everyone does "badly" in the sense that it's the first exam you've ever taken where getting all the answers right isn't a realistic opportunity. so you feel you got loads of them wrong. you did, but that isn't the same as failing it.

Badly in the sense that they've never encountered an exam where 60% is excellant...
Reply 7
As an aside I just applied for a healthcare assistant job thingy - What the hell is HISS? I tried looking it up and theres nothing on it....
Reply 8
^ something to do with entering data into a patient info system
Reply 9
It's not all about your BMAT performance :doh:
Everyone is applying with at least a predicted AAB yeah. So grades = pretty much worthless in giving out offers. So look to other deciding factors. You mentioned BMAT, there's your personal statement (big factor), reference and interview. It's multifactorial!
To be honest grades and stats will not help in your application, its all about you as an indivual and what you can offer to a medschool.
hey
ur an international student applying?
what universities are you applying to? because not all need the bmat, some need ukcat so you have to check.

i am hopefully going to apply next year.

the main thing you need to think about is work experince, although i'm not sure if they r strict on work experience for international student as well..
prepare well for interview as well, becuase for some unis like georges the interviewers jugde you on ur interview only. they don't even have a copy of ur ps which i was like omg!!!

i hope that helps!!
:smile:
Reply 12
is the interview time any different for international students?(trying to make myself feel better...)and do i need IELTS to like go there or get a visa (keeping in mind i have an A in IGCSE and C in AS literature
maze.e
To be honest grades and stats will not help in your application, its all about you as an indivual and what you can offer to a medschool.

You see i don't think this is true. What can i offer a med school? Absolutely nothing and i think thats the point, its what they can do for us. I didn't apply to university to give something back to the institution, i applied because theres something university can give me. They teach us, they help us become doctors.
Reply 14
insparato
You see i don't think this is true. What can i offer a med school? Absolutely nothing and i think thats the point, its what they can do for us. I didn't apply to university to give something back to the institution, i applied because theres something university can give me. They teach us, they help us become doctors.
In a situation where there's a massive surplus of applicants, the schools are in the position of being able to pick who they want.

Someday they might even do it properly.
Oh come on, so you're saying you applied to university for the reason of what you can give to them? What can you realistically give a university ? I barely see any university staff in small groups, most of the teaching is done in massive groups. I hated this question "What can you do for the university?" the only thing i can do is be a damn hard worker, be intuitive, question things. I do this, but i do this anyways i always have done so im not really giving them anything that i don't expect from myself already. I pay my fees, make sure university staff get paid and the department has enough money to spend on things.

You last sentence is more than a bit rude, you're judging how good an applicant i was on two sentences. I'm not so rude to judge you and i expect the same.
Reply 16
insparato
Oh come on, so you're saying you applied to university for the reason of what you can give to them? What can you realistically give a university ?
You're asking me? :colone:

You last sentence is more than a bit rude, you're judging how good an applicant i was on two sentences. I'm not so rude to judge you and i expect the same.
:wtf?:

The last sentence is a general comment, apologies if you took it personally.
Reply 17
insparato
maybe at your uni that's the case, but as BL is pretty much a university in its own right, and we're pretty small, what each student brings to us makes quite a lot of difference.

We actually NEED people who will play sports and come to drinking tables and use the union, or it'll just go under. Or maybe even tighten Queen Mary's hold over us. It seems like its kept running more by only a small percentage of the student body as well. Its the same people who do RAG, the sports, the drama plays, and actually attend the union for a quiet or less quiet drink.
OP that is the nicest thread on here in a while. So *kind*. :smile:

I think most people get roughly straight A and A* for GCSE, AAAa at A Level, which obviously varies per candidate, and about 600+ for their UKCAT.

Don't take these as gospel, though - there are of course exceptions. :smile:

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 19
Medschool shouldn't just be a product that you buy, its something that you live for five years. Look around your medschool and I hope that you'll see people organising football matches, mountaineering expeditions, charity fundraising and community work, guest lectures and a hundred other different things. How do you think all these things happen? They don't just call themselves into existence and it isn't just the goblins who book rooms, raise funds etc, they happen because people care about what they're doing and the thing they're working for and make it happen in their spare time.

Even this website and AF are great examples. The majority of people contributing help to these sites are unpaid and do it because they think pre-applicants deserve better information than they get in schools. A pretty good working example really.

Latest

Trending

Trending